Canada announces vaccine mandate for air travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here is what the Air Canada email says:

Fully vaccinated travellers (meaning individuals who have received the full series of a vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada more than 14 days prior to arrival)are exempt from the full 14‑day quarantine requirement and do not have to take the on-arrival COVID‑19 molecular test, unless randomly selected at the airport. Non-vaccinated children under 18 and dependent adults travelling with fully vaccinated individuals are also exempt.

All travellers must submit their information to ArriveCAN within 72 hours before arrival to Canada, including contact information, quarantine plan, and a COVID‑19 symptom self-assessment. Fully vaccinated travellers must submit their proof of vaccination. In addition to the receipt, they should have the actual vaccine certificate (paper or digital) to show the Customs officials on arrival.

All customers 5 years of age or older, including those fully vaccinated, are required to provide, prior to boarding, a negative COVID‑19 molecular test.

Also, apparently I have the option to take the test on arrival?

Register for your arrival COVID‑19 test in advance. This will allow for a quicker testing experience at the airport.
• Montreal-Trudeau Airport (YUL): Register with Biron.
• Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ): Register with Switch Health.
• Calgary International Airport (YYC): Register with the Government of Alberta site.
• Vancouver International Airport (YVR): Register with LifeLabs.

Reactions: jd426

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I suppose the question is whether anyone has been harassed at the airport for a negative Covid test for entry to Canada.
I will pay the $75US, but if I don’t need it I’d rather not bother.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I wonder about this. Travelling as EU citizen to Montreal. Certified translation of the vaccine card? Anybody had any problems with this or has been asked about it?
From https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ed-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

"Certified translations​

If you received your vaccines outside Canada, it’s still accepted but proof of vaccination must be uploaded digitally in ArriveCAN and must only be in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.

Providing a certified translation if your proof is not in French or English
If your proof of vaccination is not in English or French, do not upload it into ArriveCAN.

Instead, you need to upload a certified translation in English or French.

Keep both the original proof of vaccination and the certified translation with you while you travel.

We only accept translations by a certified translator.

Your certified translation must include the stamp or membership number of a professional translation association.

Translation of documents

If your proof of vaccination doesn't meet all of the requirements it will be considered invalid and you will be required to:

• stay at government-authorized hotel to await the results of your arrival test before continuing on to your place of quarantine (if arriving by air)
  • complete a quarantine period of at least 14 days
  • complete a second test on day 8 of your quarantine

Recovered from COVID-19 with one dose​

If you have recovered from COVID-19, you still need a full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or combination of accepted vaccines. If you’ve only had one dose of an accepted vaccine other than Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), you don’t qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption.

No exceptions for partially-vaccinated travellers​

At this time, there are no exemptions from testing or quarantine for travellers who haven't received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada.

Steps to follow for your trip​

To qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, you must also follow these requirements:

1. Pre-entry test result2. Quarantine plan in case you don’t qualify for the exemption3. Proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN4. Checklist of what to have ready at the border5. Arrival tests - randomized testing and exemptions

Testing positive or possible exposure within 14 days of your entry to Canada​

Monitor for symptoms for at least 14 days after your arrival. If you start having COVID-19 symptoms you must immediately:

• contact the local public health authority and follow their directions, including isolation
  • report symptoms to PHAC by calling 1-833-641-0343
You must provide proof of your test results, if asked, to any federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government official.

Troubleshooting proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN​

You didn’t see the vaccination questions in ArriveCAN - couldn’t upload proofNo receipt from ArriveCAN

Did you find what you were looking for?​

Yes No
Share this page
Date modified: 2021-08-25

About government​

About this site​

Symbol of the Government of Canada

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Things changed as of today. I’m not worried about entering Canada, I’m worried about PUJ airport officials. They tend to not know rules or care to read them, even under regular travel regulations.

Returning to Canada as of Sept. 7

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Things changed as of today. I’m not worried about entering Canada, I’m worried about PUJ airport officials. They tend to not know rules or care to read them, even under regular travel regulations.

Returning to Canada as of Sept. 7
Well your link is from the same page. In this case I think they will check that "proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN". I recently went from Spain to DR and in Spain they asked for the Vaccine cards and the e-ticket (surely instructed by Dominican Authorities). They obviously work close together. Not sure how it is for DR and Canada.

Reactions: Auryn

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well your link is from the same page. In this case I think they will check that "proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN". I recently went from Spain to DR and in Spain they asked for the Vaccine cards and the e-ticket (surely instructed by Dominican Authorities). They obviously work close together. Not sure how it is for DR and Canada.
While I understand the E-Ticket is now a requirement for going in or out of the DR (since the SKY fell ;)),

Why would they ask for a vaccine card in Spain for going to the DR?

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
they asked for the Vaccine cards and the e-ticket (surely instructed by Dominican Authorities).

You should have looked at them right in their faces and told them it's illegal to ask for any vaccinate card as the DR never implemented any vaccine mandate for entry.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
ArriveCan has to be linked to provincial health authorities. Other wise one could easily lie and say they were fully vaccinated (when they aren’t), or forge proof.
My vaccination card isn’t anything official yet, it’s nothing more than handwritten dates on a business card with the provincial health heading.
I don’t mind going in the wrong line at the airport to get through faster, but I’m not about to forge documents. I can’t say the same for others during all this craziness.

Reactions: thompstr

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is what the resulting documents look like. Not my vaccine card. Photos originally from FB I think.

Attachments

• vac translation 2.jpg
    vac translation 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 93
  • vaccine translation.jpg
    vaccine translation.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: bob saunders

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My husband phoned a friend that works at PUJ in management. He said the negative Covid test is required to leave the DR. I think it’s a waste, likely not necessary, and would probably try to leave without it.

But I’ll have my kids with me so I’m not really up for a battle at the airport.
Again, anyone with experience traveling to Canada this week, please post.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The CDN Govt website clearly states adults need a negative PCR test to enter Canada taken within 72 hours of your arrival. It is not worth risking a problem with Air Canada over a test you will definitely need when when you arrive in Canada regardless if it is now the airline policy not to ask for one when you board with a vaccine certificate.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The CDN Govt website clearly states adults need a negative PCR test to enter Canada taken within 72 hours of your arrival. It is not worth risking a problem with Air Canada over a test you will definitely need when when you arrive in Canada regardless if it is now the airline policy not to ask for one when you board with a vaccine certificate.
No. That is incorrect.

Air Canada emailed and told me that I didn’t need a test for entry if I was double vaccinated, as I posted earlier. I phoned to verify. She directed me to the govt website.

The Canadian government changed it today. People who are double vaccinated are not required to have a negative test upon entry. But they may be randomly selected at the airport of arrival.

Here is the link from the government website, the same link “Return to Canada” that I posted earlier.

Sept. 7 Changes

To reiterate, Canada no longer requires a negative test for people with proof of double vaccination.

Reactions: OldSkool

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Cdn you can board plane without it even if you had vaccine.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No. That is incorrect.

Air Canada emailed and told me that I didn’t need a test for entry if I was double vaccinated, as I posted earlier. I phoned to verify. She directed me to the govt website.

The Canadian government changed it today. People who are double vaccinated are not required to have a negative test upon entry. But they may be randomly selected at the airport of arrival.

Here is the link from the government website, the same link “Return to Canada” that I posted earlier.

Sept. 7 Changes
That is great news..

Reactions: OldSkool

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
That is great news..
Yeah except the people working for Air Canada at PUJ also work for all the other airlines, and have no clue which side is up, ever. Pre-pandemic as well, all airports.
The stories I could tell of scams. Another thread.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Cdn you can board plane without it even if you had vaccine.
Where and when? I’m told by a manager at PUJ that I need the test to leave the DR. I don’t trust the airline workers in the airports to be up to snuff on policies from 2019, let alone anything recent.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No. That is incorrect.

Sept. 7 Changes

To reiterate, Canada no longer requires a negative test for people with proof of double vaccination.
Auryn, I have followed your link.

Regardless of whether you are Canadian or foreign traveller, you are required to have a negative test maximum of 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.