BREAKING NEWS : Republica Dominicana to remain on the red list for UK travellers.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
BREAKING NEWS : Republica Dominicana to remain on the red list for UK travellers.

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Dominican Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

Anybody travelling from the Republica Dominicana will need to quarantine in a Government approved hotel at the travellers cost.
1 adult in 1 room for 10 days (11 nights)£2,285

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
And yet:
Bangladesh
Egypt
Kenya
Maldives
Oman
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Turkey

come off the red list effective 22 Sept.

If anyone can tell me that there is actual science based on this decision rather than politics I would be happy to be convinced otherwise.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I contacted the British Ambassadorin DR some time ago on the issue of Dr being on the red list but he did not reply. I really don't think he has the British Citizens interests at heart. Pity that he does not concern himself with us on the North Coast.

Olly

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I wonder how much longer it will be before companies like British Airways and Tui completely write off DR for this winter season.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
And yet:
Bangladesh
Egypt
Kenya
Maldives
Oman
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Turkey

come off the red list effective 22 Sept.

If anyone can tell me that there is actual science based on this decision rather than politics I would be happy to be convinced otherwise.
None of it makes sense. The UK has one of the highest infection rates right now running at 30,000 plus per day

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This my comments to him on 5th September :
Dear Ambassador Mockbul Ali , As a British citizen I am extremely concerned that the Dominican Republic is still on the RED list for travel for UK Nationals despite the super efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made combating Covid 19 . We are resident here and over 70 years of age and not seen our family for over three years. The efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made should at least be considered. As of today only 285 cases were reported here ( Bulletin 535 ) and Cruises have started up again! So why is the Dominican Republic not on the green list of countries for UK Nationals to visit?

No reply of course. Very disappointing
Olly

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
If you are down it feels good to push others down (true or not) so you "rise up", the Netherlands do the same and I am sure other countries also.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This my comments to him on 5th September :
Dear Ambassador Mockbul Ali , As a British citizen I am extremely concerned that the Dominican Republic is still on the RED list for travel for UK Nationals despite the super efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made combating Covid 19 . We are resident here and over 70 years of age and not seen our family for over three years. The efforts the Dominican Republic Government has made should at least be considered. As of today only 285 cases were reported here ( Bulletin 535 ) and Cruises have started up again! So why is the Dominican Republic not on the green list of countries for UK Nationals to visit?

No reply of course. Very disappointing
Olly
Have you not been able to travel to the UK as a citizen? I traveled to Denmark as a Danish citizen December-March.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Dominican Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

Anybody travelling from the Republica Dominicana will need to quarantine in a Government approved hotel at the travellers cost.
1 adult in 1 room for 10 days (11 nights)£2,285
Can you avoid the quarantine by spending a couple of weeks in an approved country before going home?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
So still no BA Punta Cana to Gatwick?

No, they only flew about four return flights last December since the start of the pandemic.

Can you avoid the quarantine by spending a couple of weeks in an approved country before going home?

Yes you can, for example you could go to the US for two weeks and then to the UK. UK citizens are allowed into the US provided they haven't been in the UK / EU in the last 10 days.

Have you not been able to travel to the UK as a citizen? I traveled to Denmark as a Danish citizen December-March.

Nobody is allowed to enter who has been in a red list country in the last 10 days, apart from UK nationals who have to stay in a quarantine hotel. So as a Danish citizen you wouldn't be allowed to enter the UK if you had been in the DR in the last 10 days.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you are down it feels good to push others down (true or not) so you "rise up", the Netherlands do the same and I am sure other countries also.

I don't think it's stick-waving in this case though. I read somewhere that one reason being given is because the border between Haiti and DR is insecure and there is almost no vaccination in Haiti. And another reason being suggested is because the UK is particularly concerned about new strains, rather than case numbers, and the DR is not doing enough genome sequencing to establish which strain people have. But then again a lot of people think that there is no logic whatsoever for how these decisions are taken and commercial interests seem to dominate - i.e the former-British Caribbean islands like Barbados and Antigua have always been open for travel.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't see many Brits at all on the North Coast. Not even the ones with residency, maybe they are all older and don't get out as much due to Covid fears.
Too bad because they are quite sociable, dry funny and always down for a pint. (but horrible tippers)

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I don't think it's stick-waving in this case though. I read somewhere that one reason being given is because the border between Haiti and DR is insecure and there is almost no vaccination in Haiti. And another reason being suggested is because the UK is particularly concerned about new strains, rather than case numbers, and the DR is not doing enough genome sequencing to establish which strain people have. But then again a lot of people think that there is no logic whatsoever for how these decisions are taken and commercial interests seem to dominate - i.e the former-British Caribbean islands like Barbados and Antigua have always been open for travel.
About 6 weeks ago when numbers in the DR went down and the numbers in the Netherlands went up considerably, I received an email from the Dutch embassy with a change of status for a lot of countries to only travel there when necessary. The DR was one of those and it absolutely didn't make any sense.
It wasn't the 1st time they did that.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
This may have something to do with it.

Dominican Republic requires Vaccine Passport/PCR test for travelers from 22 countries for the Delta variant​

Reactions: chico bill

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Worth a try

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remeber, JetBlue now flies to Heathrow

POP to LHR is possible......LHR flights are 7pm - 10pm (2)... 12 hr flight

You have the DR red zone issue.....quarantine.... but you're there !!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It has been the same over and over. The border situation with Haiti will not change. We were told get the vaccine and travel would be "more" open to you. But that is not true. I got the vaccine (both Pfizer shots) and traveling is the same headache. Yet I am protected so they say. I have traveled 4x since vaccinated and it is the same as previously, vaccinated who cares. I leave Monday again to SDQ so lets see.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As to add. Yes vaccinated I have helped prevent the spread but was this enough?