Renewed My Driver's License

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So it did change from 90 days to 6 months for foreign license validity. Thanks for the update.
(Now if they could only have a 6 month snowbird visa as well.)

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

Oh that's interesting. I mean I'm from Sweden and I cannot renew my Swedish license because I'm not a resident there. So in Sweden it's definitely not possible to get a driver's license being there illegally.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So it did change from 90 days to 6 months for foreign license validity. Thanks for the update.
(Now if they could only have a 6 month snowbird visa as well.)
Only if you're legally here ---

the 30 day visitor gets 30 days - and can extend 90 more - overstyay/pay at airport blows the deal back to 30 days

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh that's interesting. I mean I'm from Sweden and I cannot renew my Swedish license because I'm not a resident there. So in Sweden it's definitely not possible to get a driver's license being there illegally.
In the US not only is an illegal immigrant able to get a license, they give the test in like 50,000 languages. Nevermind many of the signs are in English only.

C897C1EC-D40D-44B0-A07E-586B3601871E.jpeg

At least in the DR, the license tests are given in Spanish only.

CDD6BE69-2981-47A6-92B9-FC332EB02A4F.jpeg

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In the US not only is an illegal immigrant able to get a license, they give the test in like 50,000 languages. Nevermind many of the signs are in English only.

View attachment 5207

At least in the DR, the license tests are given in Spanish only.

View attachment 5209

That's pretty desperate lol.......

Half the users do not have a driver's license.

A whole bunch don't have insurance.

Half the roads look like they have been under artillery shelling.

Road lights are few and far between.

More than a third of the vehicules are not road worthy.

Aside form major axes, road signs and painted lines are non-existent.

Casualties on the road are horrendously high.....

BUT AT LEAST in the DR, the license tests are given in Spanish only....... never mind that said test is akin to pushing shapes through a cut out hole.

Reactions: Tarheel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Only if you're legally here ---

the 30 day visitor gets 30 days - and can extend 90 more - overstyay/pay at airport blows the deal back to 30 days
WW, that is NOT how I read it. Those staying illegally (over 30 days on a tourist card, or over 120 days on an extension) can still legally drive for up to 6 months. Before that was 90 days that a foreign license was valid regardless of immigration status.

At least that is how I read it with one hand, Migracion, not knowing or caring what the other, Intrant, is doing.

If you see the words otherwise in the new regulations from Intrant, please point them out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is what I found and translated from Intrant on page 87:

Paragraph II. If its holder does not prove legal residence in the Dominican Republic, the
International licenses will only be valid for driving in the Republic
Dominican Republic if no more than six (6) months have elapsed since its entry into Dominican territory

Dominican in regular situation.

So an international license is valid in the DR up to 6 months even if not a legal resident.
Illegals can drive up to 6 months legally on foreign unexpired licenses. Stupid, but is is what it is .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I didn't see where you can drive on an expired foreign license for 6 months(?). Did you see where, if you're over 65, you now have to renew your license every year?

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I didn't see where you can drive on an expired foreign license for 6 months(?). Did you see where, if you're over 65, you now have to renew your license every year?
There is nowhere that says an expired license of any kind is valid, but I cannot actually prove the non-existence of something.

Thanks for the info on age. Here it is translated:

Article 21. Validity. The terms of the validity of the license and authorizations for
drive will be the following:
a) For categories 01, 02 and 05, the validity period will be four (4) years until
its holder reaches sixty-five (65) years of age. From sixty-five
(65) years of age, the validity will be two (2) years.
-85- _________________________________________________________________________
b) For categories 03 and 04, the period of validity will be three (3) years until its
holder reaches sixty-five (65) years of age. From sixty-five (65)
years of age, the validity will be one (1) year.

So, with a Cat2 license like mind it will be every 2 years.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There is nowhere that says an expired license of any kind is valid, but I cannot actually prove the non-existence of something.

Thanks for the info on age. Here it is translated:

Article 21. Validity. The terms of the validity of the license and authorizations for
drive will be the following:
a) For categories 01, 02 and 05, the validity period will be four (4) years until
its holder reaches sixty-five (65) years of age. From sixty-five
(65) years of age, the validity will be two (2) years.
-85- _________________________________________________________________________
b) For categories 03 and 04, the period of validity will be three (3) years until its
holder reaches sixty-five (65) years of age. From sixty-five (65)
years of age, the validity will be one (1) year.

So, with a Cat2 license like mind it will be every 2 years.
Oooooops!. That was for heavy trucks and buses. For others, if you're over 65, it's every two years now:

Artículo 21. Vigencia. Los plazos de la vigencia de la licencia y las autorizaciones para conducir serán los siguientes: a) Para las categorías 01, 02 y 05, el período de vigencia será de cuatro (4) años hasta que su titular cumpla los sesenta y cinco (65) años de edad. A partir de los sesenta y cinco (65) años de edad, la vigencia será de dos (2) años.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Oooooops!. That was for heavy trucks and buses. For others, if you're over 65, it's every two years now:

Artículo 21. Vigencia. Los plazos de la vigencia de la licencia y las autorizaciones para conducir serán los siguientes: a) Para las categorías 01, 02 y 05, el período de vigencia será de cuatro (4) años hasta que su titular cumpla los sesenta y cinco (65) años de edad. A partir de los sesenta y cinco (65) años de edad, la vigencia será de dos (2) años.
Yep, it sucks to get old.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

That's odd. I renewed in march of last year and they gave me 5 years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy
My friend - the researcher - says this ----

You can only drive on a foreign license if you are in a regular situation and up to a maximum of 6 months – to allow for getting residency and a Dominican license.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy
My friend - the researcher - says this ----

You can only drive on a foreign license if you are in a regular situation and up to a maximum of 6 months – to allow for getting residency and a Dominican license.
WW, you may be right. I need a legal definition of "regular". As I see it, it means simply that a person can drive for 6 months on a foreign license if they entered on a tourist card. Regardless of if they applied for legal residency. I could be wrong. Do we still have a legal expert consultant on this forum?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
WW, you may be right. I need a legal definition of "regular". As I see it, it means simply that a person can drive for 6 months on a foreign license if they entered on a tourist card. Regardless of if they applied for legal residency. I could be wrong. Do we still have a legal expert consultant on this forum?
Remember the PNRE? The plan was to "regularize" foreigners in the country and that included expats who were living here after overstaying their tourist visa, so I would say any expat overstaying their tourist visa is in an "irregular" status.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Remember the PNRE? The plan was to "regularize" foreigners in the country and that included expats who were living here after overstaying their tourist visa, so I would say any expat overstaying their tourist visa is in an "irregular" status.
Or whatever legal extension of such