Haitian mothers giving birth in the DR

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from today's news -
With the backing of 30 political parties, including the majority political parties, President Luis Abinader announced at the Presidential Palace a joint effort to promote actions to help the country adequately manage the impact of the Haitian political, social, economic and health crisis in the country. President Luis Abinader in issuing a statement calling for international help for Haiti had the support of the leading opposition political parties, the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) and the People’s Force (FP), among others.

The meeting was held after the National Health Service (SNS) circulated a report that indicates that 30.5% of the birds registered in public hospitals of the Dominican Republic in 2021 the mother was of Haitian nationality. In 2021, 35,662 Haitian women gave birth in the Dominican Republic, increasing 17.6% compared to 2020. The Haitian women come for the free or low cost of deliveries here. In Haiti, the health system has collapsed, but the situation is the normal of many years past.

Despite the enhancing of border patrols, the smuggling of pregnant women for birthing tourism here continues on the rise given the pressing needs of the Haitian population. The Haitian government has rejected the proposal to install a public hospital to attend to the birthing needs in Haiti. The hospital would be funded by international donations and staffed by Dominican physicians.

The meeting also came after the expiration of the three-month grace period the Ministry of Interior & Police had announced for farms and construction firms, and other companies that employ foreigners beyond the Migration Law ceiling to regularize their workers. The Dominican migration law establishes that companies can only employ 20% of foreign workforce.

Abinader stated that this is a new call to the international community so that it can help in this serious problem.

“It is no longer only Haiti’s, nor the Dominican Republic’s, but a problem in terms of migration and security that is affecting the entire region,” warned the head of state.

The President was accompanied by the Administrative Minister of the Presidency José Ignacio Paliza; the administrative vice-minister of Government Relations Society, Andrés Lugo Risk and the legal consultant of the Executive Power, Antoliano Peralta. Paliza, who is also president of the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM), read the document.

Read more in Spanish:
Presidencia
N Digital
N Digital
Listin Diario

14 January 2022

My article on this back in https://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2010/10/haitian-mothers-cared-for-in-dominican.html
posted on http://www.ipsnews.net/2010/10/haitian-mothers-find-care-in-dominican-republic-but-future-is-bleak/

The DR educates most of the doctors from Puerto Rico and many from Haiti. They would do far better by paying for the Haitian mothers to have birthing facilities on the Haitian side of the border. There is a completely empty medical facility in Belledaire that was built durning the time of Aristide.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
from today's news -
With the backing of 30 political parties, including the majority political parties, President Luis Abinader announced at the Presidential Palace a joint effort to promote actions to help the country adequately manage the impact of the Haitian political, social, economic and health crisis in the country. President Luis Abinader in issuing a statement calling for international help for Haiti had the support of the leading opposition political parties, the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) and the People’s Force (FP), among others.

The meeting was held after the National Health Service (SNS) circulated a report that indicates that 30.5% of the birds registered in public hospitals of the Dominican Republic in 2021 the mother was of Haitian nationality. In 2021, 35,662 Haitian women gave birth in the Dominican Republic, increasing 17.6% compared to 2020. The Haitian women come for the free or low cost of deliveries here. In Haiti, the health system has collapsed, but the situation is the normal of many years past.

Despite the enhancing of border patrols, the smuggling of pregnant women for birthing tourism here continues on the rise given the pressing needs of the Haitian population. The Haitian government has rejected the proposal to install a public hospital to attend to the birthing needs in Haiti. The hospital would be funded by international donations and staffed by Dominican physicians.

The meeting also came after the expiration of the three-month grace period the Ministry of Interior & Police had announced for farms and construction firms, and other companies that employ foreigners beyond the Migration Law ceiling to regularize their workers. The Dominican migration law establishes that companies can only employ 20% of foreign workforce.

Abinader stated that this is a new call to the international community so that it can help in this serious problem.

“It is no longer only Haiti’s, nor the Dominican Republic’s, but a problem in terms of migration and security that is affecting the entire region,” warned the head of state.

The President was accompanied by the Administrative Minister of the Presidency José Ignacio Paliza; the administrative vice-minister of Government Relations Society, Andrés Lugo Risk and the legal consultant of the Executive Power, Antoliano Peralta. Paliza, who is also president of the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM), read the document.

Read more in Spanish:
Presidencia
N Digital
N Digital
Listin Diario

14 January 2022

My article on this back in https://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2010/10/haitian-mothers-cared-for-in-dominican.html
posted on http://www.ipsnews.net/2010/10/haitian-mothers-find-care-in-dominican-republic-but-future-is-bleak/

The DR educates most of the doctors from Puerto Rico and many from Haiti. They would do far better by paying for the Haitian mothers to have birthing facilities on the Haitian side of the border. There is a completely empty medical facility in Belledaire that was built durning the time of Aristide.
It is the Haitian government, such as it is, that is preventing this from happening.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is the Haitian government, such as it is, that is preventing this from happening.
Is there a government in Haiti? I heard not, but I could be wrong.

So, what is the DR government going to do since someone in Haiti does not want a birthing hospital in Haiti?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Why would anyone be surprised? Same as in Europe, Canada and the US. Can't deport the baby. Unless the entry was illegal, then maybe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would anyone be surprised? Same as in Europe, Canada and the US. Can't deport the baby.
They can't?

They were deporting the pregnant women from Haiti. Will that continue now with even more scrutiny?

And will they actually enforce the 80/20 foreign worker laws? Seems doubtful.

Reactions: mountainannie

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is there a government in Haiti? I heard not, but I could be wrong.

So, what is the DR government going to do since someone in Haiti does not want a birthing hospital in Haiti?
This is very difficult. The illegal birthing is a huge drain of Dominican resources, but it isn't very humane to force these women back into a non-existing medical system. I suppose the DR government could staff several large birthing centers near the border but this would encourage even more pregnant Haitians, but instead of the money going to smugglers the hospital could charge $$.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is very difficult. The illegal birthing is a huge drain of Dominican resources, but it isn't very humane to force these women back into a non-existing medical system. I suppose the DR government could staff several large birthing centers near the border but this would encourage even more pregnant Haitians, but instead of the money going to smugglers the hospital could charge $$.
That is why I suggest that it would behoove the DR government to send MDs etc to the other side of the border.

If you read my article from back in 2010, you will note there that the DR did not have a line item for aid to Haiti but spend millions on these births.
It would be far more cost effective to pay the salaries of staff who could live on the DR side of the border and staff hospitals on the Haitian side.

The small clinic in Anse a Pitre was staffed by Cubans when I was there during the cholera epidemic. There was only a small Red Cross building in Ounatminthe.. But - as I said - there was a really gorgeous but uncompleted hospital building in Belledaire.

Dajabon, Elias Pina and Pedernales are all quite lovely places to live.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is why I suggest that it would behoove the DR government to send MDs etc to the other side of the border.
So they could be kidnapped and ransoms paid?
If you read my article from back in 2010, you will note there that the DR did not have a line item for aid to Haiti but spend millions on these births.
It would be far more cost effective to pay the salaries of staff who could live on the DR side of the border and staff hospitals on the Haitian side.
Yes, but would they not need actual hospitals as the DR proposed and refused? Going into Haiti seems fraught with risks these days.
The small clinic in Anse a Pitre was staffed by Cubans when I was there during the cholera epidemic. There was only a small Red Cross building in Ounatminthe.. But - as I said - there was a really gorgeous but uncompleted hospital building in Belledaire.

Dajabon, Elias Pina and Pedernales are all quite lovely places to live.
I will never now how nice certain parts of Haiti are. I will , with 100% certainty never go to Haiti.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So they could be kidnapped and ransoms paid?

Yes, but would they not need actual hospitals as the DR proposed and refused? Going into Haiti seems fraught with risks these days.

I will never now how nice certain parts of Haiti are. I will , with 100% certainty never go to Haiti.

Windy, the kidnappings are almost exclusive to Port au Prince. Not saying they couldn't move, but I have friends in both Oaunaminthe and okap and they don't worry about anything but petty theft. Well, that and of course and feeding their families.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The late Lindsay posted about this and how sad it was.
I remember she told a story of a Haitian mother she encountered who was c-sectioned vertically from her pubic bone to nearly her solar plexus, and horizontally from hip to hip …. in the DR.
Imagine that hell being better than what was available to her in Haiti.

There is an entire thread about an expat woman’s birthing nightmare at HOMS, the doctors were pushing on her belly to force the baby out. Those are just two of many stories.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Build the wall. Patrol it with troops, humvees, cameras and drones. Problem solved. Make Haiti responsible for it's own problems. They can fix their problems, or not. Nature will take it's course.

And before the naysayers start whining about walls not working, get over it. Walls work.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Build the wall. Patrol it with troops, humvees, cameras and drones. Problem solved. Make Haiti responsible for it's own problems. They can fix their problems, or not. Nature will take it's course.

And before the naysayers start whining about walls not working, get over it. Walls work.
Agree, walls work. It's not the DR's responsibility to take care of another country, no matter how f'd up it is.

However it is incumbent upon the church to come up with real solutions to Haiti's problems. It won't happen overnight, I know.

Edited to add that it's also in the DR's best interest to assist Haiti so that they (DR) are not overrun. That's ostensibly why the USA, a debtor nation, gives so much $ in foreign aid.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No doubt.
Those poor women are screwed.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Poor women?????? The Dominican reality is ....they will convert a nice country... into Dantes infernos ....like the hell is there......with the silent invasion... with a complete take_over of the island other side..and may be history will repeat itself one more time
That one few way over your head buddy...
my bad.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BS is the foremost autority on Black folks and specifically Haitian because he's has so mamy of them over to his house for dinner,

:LOL:
During covid times I have nobody over to my house for dinner, I certainly have many Haitians living within 300 yards of my domicile and I get along with all of them perfectly fine. I don't NEED to be an expert.