Mudanzas: Post Your Shipper

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Used to do the big box thing...have everything shipped to a relative in Miami and she brought it to the shipper...Now that I have most of the need things, I order from Amazon prime for the want things...and it seems I want things about 2 times a month, they deliver to Aero Pac in Santiago then to my door, in about 5 days.......

Reactions: Chala

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't ship it. I'd check a second bag for a trip to the DR and carry it in. Second bag would cost less than I was charged and I'd have space to transport donated items besides.
I didn't know that was allowed

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I didn't know that was allowed

I don't know what "that" you mean. I am a US citizen and travel scheduled air between the US and the DR. The airlines charge to check bags, but checking up to two bags is not unusual.

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
I don't know what "that" you mean. I am a US citizen and travel scheduled air between the US and the DR. The airlines charge to check bags, but checking up to two bags is not unusual.
what i meant by that was, i did not know you were allowed to check electronics, i thought most carriers didn't allow this.

DomInNYC

Mar 24, 2021
NYC
Certainly - something that is hand carried/luggage

Too little for a mudanza... too much for a courier

BMCargo offers shipping - not air freight - but I would still carry
As La Prof says.....
Hello. I know you've recommended Awilda here in NYC for shipping. would you recommend them for a door to door move. 1bd apartment from northen NJ to Moca. thank you

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly...
when we sold our co-op in NYC , they came to the apartment, quoted it and took it away
It came here - Cabrera - no fuss , no muss

Reactions: DomInNYC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Use my name with Jesus Parra..... he's the boss....speaks a bit of English... enough
His girls on the phone are better

Apr 24, 2015
Certainly...
when we sold our co-op in NYC , they came to the apartment, quoted it and took it away
It came here - Cabrera - no fuss , no muss
Do you know if Awilda does door to door moves within the DR? We are thinking of moving from an apartment in San Cristóbal to a house in Santo Domingo about 1 hour away.

Reactions: OldSkool

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, my TV went on the fritz..... picture getting narrow, sides creeping in.
I am told this happens after a time
Doesn;t owe me anything - been years !!

So I bought a Samsung in the US (Best Buy) $350 - 43" Samsung smart TV
$225 to ship it - they charge by the inch for the Aduana.

My friend bought a name brand here and it blew in a year..... spooked me

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ok, my TV went on the fritz..... picture getting narrow, sides creeping in.
I am told this happens after a time
Doesn;t owe me anything - been years !!

So I bought a Samsung in the US (Best Buy) $350 - 43" Samsung smart TV
$225 to ship it - they charge by the inch for the Aduana.

My friend bought a name brand here and it blew in a year..... spooked me
My BIL has bought several smart TV's here, Samsung and both have blown after about 14 month. My LG that I bought in 2013 at Plaza Lama STILL WORKS GREAT.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My BIL has bought several smart TV's here, Samsung and both have blown after about 14 month. My LG that I bought in 2013 at Plaza Lama STILL WORKS GREAT.
Same here. Two Samsung 42" five years old and still perfect. Also have a 10' Optima Projector still going after 8 yrs

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
I've found very little worth the time, effort and expense to ship to the DR. We have no special food needs, most electronics and appliances are best bought here and we are not interested in importing another vehicle. For the rest there's the whole shipping through Miami schtick which with few exceptions is reserved for the odd Amazon type purchase, and if that was not an option I would not miss it. I travel enough and have enough friends doing the same that there's usually a way to bootleg smaller items and with all this patience is a virtue. Rarely, and I can't think of anything, that was bought here has worked out just as well as if it was purchased and used in Europe or NA. The only positive of shipping stuff is more variety and more up-to-date options but that's it. Not an issue for me and us.

The only things worth shipping to me and mine is items for resale shipped down in the blue barrels and family outside of the DR offer and handle all of that for us and I just pay lol

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
For Boston area out of Hyde Park. Embarques Edgar Melo. 617-719-1330. $150 for large barrels. Gone thru 6 different shippers over past twenty years and this guy has been the best. Boston to Maranatha door to door in just under 4 weeks. Just in case anyone in Boston area needs a good, reliable shipper.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We forget about this thread sometimes

Our wood pellet man might find a MIA or NYC contact here

Doesn't really matter which

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've found very little worth the time, effort and expense to ship to the DR. We have no special food needs, most electronics and appliances are best bought here and we are not interested in importing another vehicle. For the rest there's the whole shipping through Miami schtick which with few exceptions is reserved for the odd Amazon type purchase, and if that was not an option I would not miss it. I travel enough and have enough friends doing the same that there's usually a way to bootleg smaller items and with all this patience is a virtue. Rarely, and I can't think of anything, that was bought here has worked out just as well as if it was purchased and used in Europe or NA. The only positive of shipping stuff is more variety and more up-to-date options but that's it. Not an issue for me and us.

The only things worth shipping to me and mine is items for resale shipped down in the blue barrels and family outside of the DR offer and handle all of that for us and I just pay lol
Good to have options for folks who need to ship things that won't fit in a suitcase or can't be bootlegged in by friends or family.

Question: Customs puts a $200 max value cap (zero import tax) on anything shipped in via companies like EPS, how do they make a value assessment on blue barrels packed full of items like books, shoes, artwork ect.?

PS.
I'm not a fan of Dominican Math.

Reactions: It wasn't me

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Good to have options for folks who need to ship things that won't fit in a suitcase or can't be bootlegged in by friends or family.

Question: Customs puts a $200 max value cap (zero import tax) on anything shipped in via companies like EPS, how do they make a value assessment on blue barrels packed full of items like books, shoes, artwork ect.?

PS.
I have never been assessed a tax in barrel shipping. I have not sent cell phones or electronics however. You need to register with customs as well. I have sent anything and everything.

Edited to note the maritime shipping or mudanza whatever AE prefers us to call it, is different than EPS. I don't get assessed customs tax either on EPS but you will for electronics

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

PS.
We’ve probably sent over 200 barrels and boxes, even appliances and TVs. (We have 7-8 barrels packed right now, will ship them about a month before we fly down, whenever that might be). Never paid one cent more than the mundanza charged us.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
We’ve probably sent over 200 barrels and boxes, even appliances and TVs. (We have 7-8 barrels packed right now, will ship them about a month before we fly down, whenever that might be). Never paid one cent more than the mundanza charged us.
There are new special rules for smart phones, tablets, laptops, stuff like that.

Edited for mudanza. Idk about other statea but if you Google mudanza you will get moving truck companies. I. The Bronx and NJ you will see these places are called XYZ "shipping". Most Latinos in these areas call these places shipping. And if you are Googlimg you will get hits on shipping, I.e. my place from northern NJ and Bronx Montero Shipping.. IMO

Reactions: CristoRey