Reduced reduced CV19 Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The researchers say lockdowns had no noticeable effect on reducing COVID-related deaths and a "devastating effect" on economies and social ills.​

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University have concluded that lockdowns have done little to reduce COVID deaths but have had “devastating effects” on economies and numerous social ills.
The study, titled “A Literature Review and Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Lockdowns on COVID-19 Mortality,” said lockdowns in Europe and the U.S. reduced COVID-19 deaths by 0.2 percent.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
I don't dispute the conclusion but there is no way to qualify the effects of lockdowns, as there is no way to know what would have happened without them.

Real lockdowns have been very effective in China.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't dispute the conclusion but there is no way to qualify the effects of lockdowns, as there is no way to know what would have happened without them.

Then you can take that opinion up with the researchers from Johns Hopkins who disagree with you that the results cannot be quantified.
They indeed quantified the results and found the benefit of lockdowns to be Zero Point 2 percent (0.2%). A way I would put that is the lockdowns had ZERO significant benefit and tremendous bad effects.

But that is just me.

You believe the Chinese> Really?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

How can you say that when nobody has any idea how many people died from covid in China. 12 crematoriums burning bodies for 20 days 24/7 in Wuhan alone.

Reactions: windeguy

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Then you can take that opinion up with the researchers from Johns Hopkins who disagree with you that the results cannot be quantified.
They indeed quantified the results and found the benefit of lockdowns to be Zero Point 2 percent (0.2%). A way I would put that is the lockdowns had ZERO significant benefit and tremendous bad effects.

But that is just me.

You believe the Chinese> Really?
How exactly did they see the other potential future that didn't happen?

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
How can you say that when nobody has any idea how many people died from covid in China. 12 crematoriums burning bodies for 20 days 24/7 in Wuhan alone.
I don't recall any such news.

China is doing hard lockdowns over very small numbers.
Like 10 million people locked down for 100 cases.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
  • Sad
Reactions: It wasn't me

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I always thought the lockdowns were to slow down the spread so the hospitals and its workers could better handle the case load. I suppose I was misinformed.
I agree that's what we were told. Now, did they help? I'm not sure the Hopkins study addresses that part, but it did wreak havoc on the economies of the world.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Did anyone take the time to read the 62 page report?

How about that it's by economists and not medical experts ;)
Not I, but I think they are simply cherry picking and comparing stats from different countries, as it is impossible to quantify what would have happened for any particular country.

This is a flawed methodology but I do agree with the gist of what they are saying.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I miss the lock down. My favorite restaurants were open just less crowded. There was less traffic, hotels were more than half off. Many businesses carried on as usual. My only concern was the businesses that did suffer. The lockdowns were nothing but political fodder.

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014

How do you know. Do you believe anything that comes out of the chinese govt mouth

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
How do you know. Do you believe anything that comes out of the chinese govt mouth
I don`t believe Chinese propaganda nor do I endorse their zero-Covid policy, but the reality is that their lockdowns are like night and day compared to ours.

They locked down a city of 13 million people because of 100 new cases per day.
And when they lockdown, it is a real hard lockdown that most people could not imagine or handle.

Chinese residents ‘starving’ as world’s strictest COVID lockdown bans them leaving home​

Residents under strict lockdown rules in one of China’s largest cities say they are facing starvation after they were banned from going outside to get food.
Officials running the city of Xi’an on Monday told its 13million inhabitants they were only allowed out from their homes when invited to take part in a new round of mass Covid testing, or for medical emergencies.
Before the severe measures were introduced, one member from each household was allowed out once every two days to buy food.

Reactions: It wasn't me

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
.2% = 2 out of 1,000
If 1,000 died, 2 survived because of a lockdown !
It could have been 1,002 deaths !
In that case I’m for staying open
But percentages are not accurate 100%

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I miss the lock down. My favorite restaurants were open just less crowded. There was less traffic, hotels were more than half off. Many businesses carried on as usual. My only concern was the businesses that did suffer. The lockdowns were nothing but political fodder.
Always look on the bright side of life...

Tourism industry is asking the US government to forget about testing before boarding planes. How long before that happens?
And then how long before the mask requirements when flying are gone? I cannot predict those two things.

As for the Chinese type of complete lockdowns, I don't imagine that would play well or be tolerated by the populace in virtually any other country.

It is time to "move on". Everyone will eventually "get" one of the CV19 variants. Thanks China...

Reactions: Big
Status
Not open for further replies.