Cabarete vs Las Terrenas

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Typo in the title, but I can’t fix it. Vs not Va.

Interested in hearing the pros and cons of both locations. I’m just starting to look into this. I lived in Cabarete for a short time 8-9 years ago, and have only been back once. The north east coast is my favourite part of the island, but I’ve only ever visited a handful of times.
The capital is a no go, I lived there for a year and have zero interest in it beyond the odd visit.

Correct me (with tact) if I’m wrong, but how far off am I in the following brief assessment:

Cabarete- cheaper rent. Not as safe. Mostly American & Canadian expats?

Las Terrenas- higher rent. Safer…or not? Mostly French & Italian expats?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
depends what you are looking for. Both are extremely busy. cabarete Has a younger crowd due to water sports. Las terrenas is far away from all airports except Samana but few airlines Fly there . Spend 6 months in each and you will have your answer.

Reactions: Auryn

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Re safety: if this is your main concern you have to look for another country, or maybe planet? You are responsible for your own personal safety and the safety of your possessions. those of us who live here permanently are relaxed and comfortable but are aware that we may be targets and arrange our lives accordingly.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas is packed with folks from anywhere nowadays. Plenty of Anglo-Saxons. It's Boom-Town! Maybe too much. It's not like it used to be, but then again, everything changes... Don't expect a sleepy fisherman's village anymore.

Reactions: Auryn and AlaPlaya

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Re safety: if this is your main concern you have to look for another country, or maybe planet? You are responsible for your own personal safety and the safety of your possessions. those of us who live here permanently are relaxed and comfortable but are aware that we may be targets and arrange our lives accordingly.
No kidding. Santo Domingo was no joke, but I lived accordingly and had no problems. Too busy for me and traffic is a deal breaker. Comparatively, my safety concerns would be different in Villa Agrícolas or Capotillo than say in Gazcue or Piantini. Not non-existent in the latter, but different.
Safety is a concern for anyone with children. I’m not someone who visited an AI once and wants to move down with visions of beaches and palm trees. As I’m less familiar with the north coast, a comparison between those two places is what I’m after.
People who live there are the best source. DR1 is the place for it. Thanks for your reply.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was considering both towns when I first decided to buy property here. I chose Cabarete in the end. I like the beach life with the wide selection of bars and restaurants where I meet friends. There are few restaurants on Las Terrenas beach. As for safety, I feel pretty safe in both places. Pularvik says Cabarete had a younger crowd, and it's true for the Kite Beach area. But there are more and more snowbirds and retirees who live in the centre of town - the largest number being Americans and Canadians.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
It really depends on WHERE in Las Terrenas. Some people there complain about loud music and smoke from the landfill. When I asked some locals about it, they had no idea what I was talking about. Location makes a big difference.

Reactions: Auryn and aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Typo in the title, but I can’t fix it. Vs not Va.

Interested in hearing the pros and cons of both locations. I’m just starting to look into this. I lived in Cabarete for a short time 8-9 years ago, and have only been back once. The north east coast is my favourite part of the island, but I’ve only ever visited a handful of times.
The capital is a no go, I lived there for a year and have zero interest in it beyond the odd visit.

Correct me (with tact) if I’m wrong, but how far off am I in the following brief assessment:

Cabarete- cheaper rent. Not as safe. Mostly American & Canadian expats?

Las Terrenas- higher rent. Safer…or not? Mostly French & Italian expats?
I would say Cabarete leans towards having more North Americans and Las Terrenas more towards French/Italians but my impression is they are both more mixed than they used to be.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
So you want to move from SPM to the north for living longtime? Also, your children still visiting school? If you are good parents (and I believe so) the first step is to find the right school for your Kids, so you have to search in both towns for it. All other things a secundary.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Different strokes for different folks. Cabarete is at least as safe as las Terrenas. More Americans and non-French Canadians in Cabarete. More restaurants in LT. I like the beach scene with all the bars and restaurants on the beach in Cabarete more.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I was considering both towns when I first decided to buy property here. I chose Cabarete in the end. I like the beach life with the wide selection of bars and restaurants where I meet friends. There are few restaurants on Las Terrenas beach. As for safety, I feel pretty safe in both places. Pularvik says Cabarete had a younger crowd, and it's true for the Kite Beach area. But there are more and more snowbirds and retirees who live in the centre of town - the largest number being Americans and Canadians.
I was still in my twenties when I lived at Kite Beach. I loved the bars along the beach at night with the lights strung in the palm trees. Evening mojitos are less of a draw than they were then and schools take priority.
So you want to move from SPM to the north for living longtime? Also, your children still visiting school? If you are good parents (and I believe so) the first step is to find the right school for your Kids, so you have to search in both towns for it. All other things a secundary.
Yes, schools are key but I’ve done the majority of sleuthing on what’s available in any of the areas we’re interested in.
We do not live in SPM, and haven’t ruled it out entirely. In fact, finding the right school is a major factor with that. Hence broadening the scope northward.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I don't know about Cabarete, but Las Terrenas is bohemian compared to Punta Cana. It's a very safe town. After having a home here for 10 years, we heard of only one burglary. No personal crimes - yet. Even our insurance lady said she's never heard of a car theft in town.
I know housing for rent is very high. Too many articles about retiring in LT and living the good life.
At first, it was rare to see an American. Now we hear them a lot - everywhere it seems.

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I don't know about Cabarete, but Las Terrenas is bohemian compared to Punta Cana. It's a very safe town. After having a home here for 10 years, we heard of only one burglary. No personal crimes - yet. Even our insurance lady said she's never heard of a car theft in town.
I know housing for rent is very high. Too many articles about retiring in LT and living the good life.
At first, it was rare to see an American. Now we hear them a lot - everywhere it seems.
Thank you for your reply.

I wouldn’t move anywhere in the DR (or world) without a concern for safety.

Having said that, I did get the impression LT was a bit different on that front. Samana, even more so. I also liked the laid back atmosphere. From my visits, I would describe it as bustling but not necessarily as busy as Cabarete.
Rent looks to be about 30-50% higher in LT as well.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think Cabarete looks busier than it really is because of all the trucks and idiots double parking and parking on the wrong side of the street creating bottlenecks and traffic jams in the center of town.

Reactions: aarhus and Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I think Cabarete looks busier than it really is because of all the trucks and idiots double parking and parking on the wrong side of the street creating bottlenecks and traffic jams in the center of town.
And the road through is a main artery, whereas LT has some alternate routes.

Reactions: cavok

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I would opt for Cabarete over Las Terrenas. I have lived in Cabarete for 18 years and raised my kids here. The options for schools are very good and also activities for kids. We have horse riding at Sea Horse Ranch (my youngest goes every Saturday, kite schools, Karate at the International school along with Emely Watson dance school, martial arts in Cabarete, swimming class in Sosua Ocean Village and of course they have a great water park, Volleyball class, musical classes in both Sosua and Cabarete, football (Soccer) club in El Choco, surfing at Encuentro, Casa Linda water park, tennis class at Sosua Ocean Village and Sea Horse Ranch and so much more. On top of that there are so many options for Summer camp. Accessibility to the larger cities I find is more easier living in Cabarete but having a large city like Puerto Plata only 30 minutes away is favorable to me. Puerto Plata is changing for the better and there are so many more attractions, businesses and restaurants there now. There is also rumor of a Blue Mall being built in Puerto Plata in the future (still a rumor though). Obviously the airport has many more flights than Samana. If your main decision is because of your kids, then you should definitely consider Cabarete over Las Terrenas. My eldest daughter is in Santiago at university and so for me the proximity to Santiago is ideal as I get to see my eldest daughter every weekend. That is something that you may not have to think about now, but it is a good idea to take that into consideration for the future. As a parent, it is never easy letting your child go, but having her close is perfect! Best of luck in your decision!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I would opt for Cabarete over Las Terrenas. I have lived in Cabarete for 18 years and raised my kids here. The options for schools are very good and also activities for kids. We have horse riding at Sea Horse Ranch (my youngest goes every Saturday, kite schools, Karate at the International school along with Emely Watson dance school, martial arts in Cabarete, swimming class in Sosua Ocean Village and of course they have a great water park, Volleyball class, musical classes in both Sosua and Cabarete, football (Soccer) club in El Choco, surfing at Encuentro, Casa Linda water park, tennis class at Sosua Ocean Village and Sea Horse Ranch and so much more. On top of that there are so many options for Summer camp. Accessibility to the larger cities I find is more easier living in Cabarete but having a large city like Puerto Plata only 30 minutes away is favorable to me. Puerto Plata is changing for the better and there are so many more attractions, businesses and restaurants there now. There is also rumor of a Blue Mall being built in Puerto Plata in the future (still a rumor though). Obviously the airport has many more flights than Samana. If your main decision is because of your kids, then you should definitely consider Cabarete over Las Terrenas. My eldest daughter is in Santiago at university and so for me the proximity to Santiago is ideal as I get to see my eldest daughter every weekend. That is something that you may not have to think about now, but it is a good idea to take that into consideration for the future. As a parent, it is never easy letting your child go, but having her close is perfect! Best of luck in your decision!
This was extremely helpful tee, thank you. I didn’t realize that there were so many activities for kids up there. Definitely important considerations.