Abortion rights in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don’t really understand what you mean. I have only said in this thread I think Dominican women should decide it politically. Or at least just Dominicans. And foreigners should stay out of it as I think chico first posted.

How can you not understand that? It's pretty simple.

If you give the baby a choice, they want to live. That's their vote. Babies born early always fight to survive, they'll struggle, kick their feet and fight for every breath. A baby will always choose to live.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The DR is a very conservstive society with a strong political influence from the Catholic Church. That is the main reason it has remained as one of the strightest countries in Latin America regarding abortion. All types of abortion are prohibited.

There is another technicality that must be modified first, otherwise any modification to abortion in the DR is subject to being sued and most likely it would be reversed. Namely, the Dominican constitution clearly states that life begins at conception, not at birth. That could be used as an argument against all types of abortion. If life begins at conception, any interruption to that life can be considered murder by law. This would also have implication for whatever doctor does the abortion since they could be charge with murder too.

There is no way around it. In the DR, life begins at conception, aka the moment a sperm enters an egg. People can disagree with that all they want, that is as of right now the law of the land.
Funny...
Rich Women can always get abortions.
One of my friends had one in Santo Domingo in 2014

There are plenty of ways around it
if you have money

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Funny...

if you have money
What's funny is how this paradigm works both ways. When someone feels this ego driven pride because they got away with something because they had the captial to do it, better be prepared to be on the business end of that someday. Imagine all those animals who paid their way out of murder?

The benefits of paying your way out of something have a funny karmatic way of biting you in the arse

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Funny...

if you have money
One of our former teachers had an abortion and she wasn't rich at all. She had it done by a local medical doctor for cash. She felt she had to get it done as she got pregnant by somebody other than her husband who was in NY. Birth Control would have been cheaper and safer.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
One of our former teachers had an abortion and she wasn't rich at all. She had it done by a local medical doctor for cash. She felt she had to get it done as she got pregnant by somebody other than her husband who was in NY. Birth Control would have been cheaper and safer.
I don't think there's any clean or justified way to promote subverting the law unless one's life is in jeopardy IMO

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I am going to bed. I am not in the DR. In Europe where this is a non issue.
The D.R. is in a very select group of countries, all of them bastions of democracy, where abortion is illegal: Nicaragua, Haiti, El Salvador...

All the above countries, including the D.R., lead all the backward Scandinavian nations, as well as Western Europe, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan, and Israel, and even that super-duper humongous behemoth to the south, Uruguay, on every quantifiable category, such as GDP and GNP, and in the number of Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholarship recipients, and in every STEM field.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
The D.R. is in a very select group of countries, all of them bastions of democracy, where abortion is illegal: Nicaragua, Haiti, El Salvador...

All the above countries, including the D.R., lead all the backward Scandinavian nations, as well as Western Europe, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan, and Israel, and even that super-duper humongous behemoth to the south, Uruguay, on every quantifiable category, such as GDP and GNP, and in the number of Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholarship recipients, and in every STEM field.
Interesting. Links to your sources, please

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Interesting. Links to your sources, please
Somehow I failed to add the good ol' US of A to the list of countries that the D.R. and its 3 amigos countries obliterated in all the categories above.

It appears that criminalizing abortion has a positive effect on a nation's wellbeing. The economies of the D.R., Haiti, Nicaragua, and El Salvador are a testament to that.
One only has to look at the millions of Scandinavians relocating to Managua, Tegucigalpa, San Salvador, Petionville, and to the luxurious skyscrapers of Guachupita and Gualey...

Oh, yeah, and the world-class university systems in the D.R. and its 3 amigos is icing on the proverbial cake.
The Indian Institute of Technology, MIT, Yale, CalTech, Stanford, and Cambridge U. can learn a thing or two from these guys.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Somehow I failed to add the good ol' US of A to the list of countries that the D.R. and its 3 amigos countries obliterated in all the categories above.

It appears that criminalizing abortion has a positive effect on a nation's wellbeing. The economies of the D.R., Haiti, Nicaragua, and El Salvador are a testament to that.
One only has to look at the millions of Scandinavians relocating to Managua, Tegucigalpa, San Salvador, Petionville, and to the luxurious skyscrapers of Guachupita and Gualey...

Oh, yeah, and the world-class university systems in the D.R. and its 3 amigos is icing on the proverbial cake.
The Indian Institute of Technology, MIT, Yale, CalTech, Stanford, and Cambridge U. can learn a thing or two from these guys.
The two issues do not join anywhere at the hip. Current Norwegian legislation and public health policy provides for abortion on request in the first 12 weeks of gestation, by application up to the 18th week, and thereafter only under special circumstances until the fetus is viable, which is usually presumed at 21 weeks and 6 days. Much of the world has this type of somewhat reasonable abortion law and restrictions. What your femnazi friends want is unrestricted abortion that allows the killing that fetus even when it is a fully formed human baby. No amount of high class universities will make up the morality gap. With all that higher education and advanced technology they still cant figure out how to not get pregnant if they don't want to.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The two issues do not join anywhere at the hip. Current Norwegian legislation and public health policy provides for abortion on request in the first 12 weeks of gestation, by application up to the 18th week, and thereafter only under special circumstances until the fetus is viable, which is usually presumed at 21 weeks and 6 days. Much of the world has this type of somewhat reasonable abortion law and restrictions. What your femnazi friends want is unrestricted abortion that allows the killing that fetus even when it is a fully formed human baby. No amount of high class universities will make up the morality gap. With all that higher education and advanced technology they still cant figure out how to not get pregnant if they don't want to.
Education sometimes becomes synonymous with a lack of faith in a higher being, I dispute that, as there are many highly educated religious scholars and people of all faiths. But certainly perhaps the lower educated believe in God at a higher percentage. And DR is not a higher educated country.

What abortion boils down too is the question of are you ending a human life, or not and when does that occur ?
Certainly I think that is what heartbeat type laws are designed for. If a heart is beating is there a living being. Certainly something is growing and moving.
It seems worldwide this is where the final outcome will be. It will be allowed only for some number of weeks post insemination.

It is a tricky question and some argue they be allowed to be able to abort the child up to and some even up to 28-days after the birth - if you can digest that. ? A show of hands.

But no one here has cheered the murders of innocents we see in Ukraine. We all condemn killing of the young and old, too weak and defenseless against vicious aggressors.
And no one here would admit to being in favor of murder of someone that has done them no harm.

So the Dominicans should decide when life begins.
Not Europeans, nor North Americans, or any foreigner can come here and enforce our view or faith wherever we travel.
It is not like arguing that litter is wrong, it is tied to much more engrained feelings and one's believe in a higher being, or lack thereof.

We all cringe when the Jehovah Witnesses try to come to our door to convert us to their faith, so why is it any different than Westerners trying to impose their version of agnosticism or 'special circumstances' regarding abortion for women here.

Let's just butt out or we are no better than the Spaniard Conquistadors who forced conversion to Catholicism on all of Latin America, very often under threat of death.

And it may be ironic that the Soviet Union was the first entity to legalize abortion in 1920, under Lenin. It ended in 1936. Now it is allowed in Russia up to 12 weeks.​

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I was going to make the point that I've heard that it's not hard to get one here and many women do it, regardless of whether or not it is legal.

With regards to birth control, I've read articles discussing the fact that because Dominican parents really don't teach their children about sex, most don't learn about the existence of birth control until after their first child.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
it mat be illegal by the law in DR ... but my take on things here is nothing is illegal here If you have cash you can get anything......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was going to make the point that I've heard that it's not hard to get one here and many women do it, regardless of whether or not it is legal.

With regards to birth control, I've read articles discussing the fact that because Dominican parents really don't teach their children about sex, most don't learn about the existence of birth control until after their first child.
Hopefully they warn the girls of the life altering burden of a young unintended pregnancy.
As for the boys - well it's hard to control a heat-seeking moisture missile - they are after all, not designed as 'smart' weapons, but they sure find a target all too frequently.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Legal abortion is trashy:

The litter-strewn streets of Singapore and the Nordic countries can't compare to the cleanliness found in the streets and modern thoroughfares in the province of Santo Domingo East. Somehow, the devil, Satan himself, has punished those countries with unsanitary conditions. That will "learn them."

This little ditty should break some hearts in Har-barba-coa: Ayn Rand believed that abortion was a moral right, better left to the sole discretion of the woman involved. She referred to the claims of a fetus having a life a "vicious nonsense."

• Haha
Reactions: mountainannie

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Legal abortion is trashy:

The litter-strewn streets of Singapore and the Nordic countries can't compare to the cleanliness found in the streets and modern thoroughfares in the province of Santo Domingo East. Somehow, the devil, Satan himself, has punished those countries with unsanitary conditions. That will "learn them."

This little ditty should break some hearts in Har-barba-coa: Ayn Rand believed that abortion was a moral right, better left to the sole discretion of the woman involved. She referred to the claims of a fetus having a life a "vicious nonsense."
So did the founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, but mostly for darker people.
She also gave a speech to the KKK in New Jersey and ranted on the corrupt morals of the African race.
Abortion in Singapore is limited to 20 weeks and if married requires the husband to agree.
But your premise clean streets are a benefit of abortion is inane.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Ayn Rand believed that abortion was a moral right, better left to the sole discretion of the woman involved. She referred to the claims of a fetus having a life a "vicious nonsense."
Given her influence on some conservatives I'm mildly surprised to hear this, but then again Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum was a Russian atheist so I guess anything's possible.

Reactions: mountainannie
Status
Not open for further replies.