The Empire Strikes Back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
They did it "their" way and arrested a bunch of totally innocent people based upon a faulty tip. There was no need or cause to go in so hard and be so miserable and rude and now they look like morons. suits them ;)
They have tried soft and literally got rocks for their approach i.e., ciudad Juan Bosch. It's a no win situation for them. Damn if they do, damned if they don't. However the raid was justified.

Pasaportes-y-otros-documentos-supuestamente-falsificados-ocupados-a-una-banda-en-Santiago..jpg
Indica que durante el operativo se presentó un señor llamado James Jacques, quien se identificó como cónsul general de Haití en Santiago, exigiendo que se le entregara al señor Jolivan Nelson, dueño de una supuesta casa de envío, a quien le habían sido ocupados los 15 pasaportes y el dinero en el operativo.

“Al señor James Jacques no poder cumplir con su objetivo de liberar a dicho señor, pidió a la DGM acompañarlos, a los fines de gestionar los documentos de algunos de los detenidos que según él lo poseían en sus viviendas y se transportó junto a éstos hacia el Centro de Acogida de Migración Santiago, donde estuvo por unas dos horas mientras diligenciaba documentos a los haitianos que estaban indocumentados”, agrega.

Aclara que Jacques nunca fue apresado por Migración, puesto que no se encontraba en el lugar, sino, que llegó a intervenir.

Reposting link ICYMI.

Reactions: windeguy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Clearly, they arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately, that is without asking for or accepting ID, passports, etc... only to a few hours later release them all. No illegals to be found. Now why they have to act like stormtroopers and so heavy-handedly when if they had taken a few moments to ask for proof of citizenship and legal status they could have avoided all of this negative publicity. Why is this so hard to understand without pretending to be so puzzled?
Simply bc there are a lot of ignorant ppl in the world. Untrained. No education. Afraid. ie; Do you know a member of the police force that went tru the 3 month training course, a young man that you knew when he was a teenager? Do you know why he came to be "police"? I have the benefit of this education so it makes me more understanding just how it works here in wonderland. Dismal and will take GENERATIONS to change.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Someone needs to read the entire sentence in Spanish:
"De igual manera, se ratifica la potestad de deportar y expulsar sumariamente del territorio dominicano a los extranjeros indocumentados."

indocumentados = undocumented (do I need to define that word to you in English)?

Every person in that restaurant had NO documentation...right ⁉️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Curious the intense interest in the Consul not the actions of DGM...

SANTO DOMINGO.- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported this Saturday that it dismantled on Friday night a gang that trafficked in Haitian passports and visas, based on a restaurant in Santiago de los Caballeros.

He indicated that the dismantling took place during an operation in which, in addition to Immigration agents, members of the Police and the Directorate for the Control of Alcoholic Beverages (COBA) participated.

"In this operation, 21 undocumented Haitians, 15 Haitian passports, 56,500.00 Dominican pesos, 890 dollars and 4,100 Haitian gourdes were arrested," says a press release from the DGM.

"The DGM communicates that it acted within the framework of the law, in response to dozens of complaints from neighbors and citizens who denounced noise and scandals that occurred late at night in the restaurant bar and disco, called Laromate Creole", Add.

INCIDENT WITH A “CONSUL”

Passports and other allegedly forged documents seized from a gang in Santiago.
It indicates that during the operation a man named James Jacques appeared, who identified himself as the Consul General of Haiti in Santiago, demanding that Mr. Jolivan Nelson, owner of an alleged shipping house, whose 15 passports and money in the operation.

“When Mr. James Jacques was unable to fulfill his objective of freeing said man, he asked the DGM to accompany them, in order to manage the documents of some of the detainees who, according to him, had them in their homes and he was transported together with them to the Santiago Migration Reception Center, where he stayed for about two hours while he filled out documents for Haitians who were undocumented,” he adds.

He clarifies that Jacques was never arrested by Immigration, since he was not in the place, but instead intervened.

AFFIRM OPERATIVE WAS LEGAL

The DGM highlights that the operation was carried out within the framework of the Migration Regulation and Law, complying with the protocols of respect for human rights.

It reiterates that "it will not back down in the fulfillment of the duty to safeguard national sovereignty and ensure that foreigners operate within a framework of respect for the law and expel from the national territory anyone who is in a state of illegality." - Google Translate

That last paragraph outta make some DR one'ers turn flips.
Is it windy in here?
🤪
Immigration laws can be enforced based upon country of origin. That is obvious, no?

Haitians get their own special treatment and gringos from tourist card countries get their own special treatment. And so it goes...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Clearly, they arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately, that is without asking for or accepting ID, passports, etc... only to a few hours later release them all. No illegals to be found. Now why they have to act like stormtroopers and so heavy-handedly when if they had taken a few moments to ask for proof of citizenship and legal status they could have avoided all of this negative publicity. Why is this so hard to understand without pretending to be so puzzled?
I can assure you that the people who vote in the DR want Migracion to do this type of thing. At least the people I personally know who can vote.

This is not negative publicity anywhere but perhaps on the world stage, and the DR could care less about that since the world doesn't vote and the Haitian issue is a huge one that remains very loosely controlled. It is not a simple problem and there are no simple answers based upon the desire by business to have cheap labor and sporadic enforcement of the labor laws.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"De igual manera, se ratifica la potestad de deportar y expulsar sumariamente del territorio dominicano a los extranjeros indocumentados."

indocumentados = undocumented (do I need to define that word to you in English)?

Everyone in the DR is required to carry proof with them that they are legally in the country. As a legal resident I had to carry my NO VOTA cedula, for example. That is the law for all people here. If they had no proof on them, then they were legally arrested and could have later provided documents that they were legal. I suppose that is too late if they were already deported. So, carry your proof with you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So, let us say nobody was asked for documentation at all. The raid seemed to be motivated by information they were raiding a place that created false immigration documents with a gang that did so allegedly present. That could explain the lack of questions. They just arrested everyone for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
The time 911 was called and it was reported that I was engaged in a crime I did not comment and the police arrived at my door and asked me to step out of my house at gun point. Then threw the handcuffs on me and dragged me out of my housing complex in my bare feet while everyone watched...I didn't have any documentation. I had to get someone to return to my house and get it for me.
I am decidedly "pro-police", but this sort of thing makes my blood boil. I don't want to derail the thread, but did you report this to the consulate? Did the coppers at least apologize when they realized that they had mistakenly arrested an innocent American?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am decidedly "pro-police", but this sort of thing makes my blood boil. I don't want to derail the thread, but did you report this to the consulate? Did the coppers at least apologize when they realized that they had mistakenly arrested an innocent American?
What would the consulate do?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, let us say nobody was asked for documentation at all. The raid seemed to be motivated by information they were raiding a place that created false immigration documents with a gang that did so allegedly present. That could explain the lack of questions. They just arrested everyone for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Best thing to do, then sort out any problems after.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
@windeguy
I am sorry that my style of writing makes things difficult for you understand.
Yes, I do believe that you (and many others) read things into the way that write that are simply not there.
Not there? Sorry, there's no excuse for writing this nonsense.

"Then goto the bathroom and take a :poop: .
Then come back here and tell me what your 🚽 filled up with.
Use of 🧻 is your option."

"But you got people riding the dick of the current POTDR"

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am decidedly "pro-police", but this sort of thing makes my blood boil. I don't want to derail the thread, but did you report this to the consulate? Did the coppers at least apologize when they realized that they had mistakenly arrested an innocent?
I was asked if I wanted the consulate notified. I told them no. The consulate of my country of origin is not here to do :poop: on my behalf. They are here to enjoy their lottery winnings of catching an assignment on a Caribbean island.
It is much more important in a situation like that to have a competent Dominican legal advocate (something I happen to have).

Apology ⁉️****** please‼️

A day, then a night, then another full day in the more horrendous of conditions (you think that detained flight crew was exaggerating? They were not).
I could start another thread where I detail my full experiences I am not even sure I should do that or that DR1 would allow it.
I caught the last appearance of the day in front of the fiscalia.
I was told that there was not interpreter available. And that I better speak some good Spanish to her cause if I needed one I was going to spend another night in jail.
I started speaking Español like Gringo Negro life depended upon it.
After explaining my situation to the fiscalia...the fiscalia decided to release me.
I was told to not put myself in a situation where I am brought to the attention of the controlling legal authorities because next time (error or not) it will not look good.
I bowed deeply and tried to kiss fiscalia's foot, but she told me that was not necessary.
I was processed and released.

My attorney told me that I could file a complaint if I wanted, but that I needed to decide if I wanted to continue to keep living in this country first.
Many posting up in here that think I don't know the time of day it is in the 🇩🇴
If you didn't know that I know...now you know. 🤪

My Dominican massas don hit me with whip‼️
And they did not give a @#$% I was Gringo Negro
Anyone who thinks being gringo bestows some special status upon you in the 🇩🇴 (including our local immigration expert)
get caught up in the system.
See what happens...

EASTSIDE!!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Clearly your spanish is lacking. However, I am a native spanish speaker and dominican to boot so let me clarify it for you. Unless the DGM officers are telepathic or mind readers and they trust fully what every Tom, Dick and Harry tells them, they need to determine if the person is legally here to their satisfaction not yours. The law grants them the authority to detain/arrest anyone they want until they verify with complete satisfaction that the person is in the country legally. It is their prerogative to proceed as they see fit under current laws and regulations again not yours. Any foreigner that disagrees can simply comply, return to their country of origin or be removed forcefully. AKA Suck it up, leave willingly or be deported. I am in full agreement with DGM on this.
Yes plead do.

No but 21 are illegally here and the only way to determine their status for certain was to detain them and have them produce valid state issued documents. Those that do produce legal document are released and the rest are arrested as it should be. They can now be summarily deported under the current law. LEY GENERAL DE MIGRACION 285-04. Hurray!
“En este operativo fueron detenidos 21 haitianos indocumentados, 15 pasaportes haitianos, 56,500.00 pesos dominicanos, 890 dólares y 4,100 gourdes haitianos”, dice una nota de prensa de la DGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.