Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

ejl293

May 29, 2012
What will happen is the typical non-courteous drivers here will decide they are too important to stay in line and decide to pass into oncoming traffic on that narrow two lane road gumming up the works. Count on that
You just have to understand that they are very, very important people with much to do--don't let the fact they are driving a 1986 accord with a broken windshield fool you!

Sandu

Jan 6, 2018
do you go through this bridge going from the airport to sosua....coming in january.......should i expect to be patience

DannyMalibu

Jun 13, 2022
Sosua
If that bridge drops, which it will. The traffic heading from the airport into Puerto Plata will be insane. It speaks volumes about how much leverage the all inclusive resorts in POP have with this government - zero. Put the same situation in Punta Cana and there would be construction crews working 24/7 on a new bridge. It's mind bending watching how things work (or don't work) in this country.

Reactions: Buzzard

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Large stores like Jumbo, La Sirena, Hidelisa in Puerto Plata and Playero & Super Pola in Sosua and many many package delivery companies + the Cruise Ship ports and Caribe Tours and Metro will put pressure on the government to get the bridge operational ASAP so product and people can flow (particularly North Coast tourists to tour Puerto Plata). The larger delivery companies - construction materials, Coca Cola, Presidente and the like will be forced to share the under-capacity detour with the vehicular riff-raff and hundreds of taxis.
More cost of deliveries

Had they decided to replace it with a superstructure truss & girder bridge like there is there now - it could have been pre-measured to reinforced abutments and been installed by a iron crew from the North with a metal grating deck in about 10 days and it would service another 50 years and retain it's architectural heritage.

I am estimating pouring beams nearby, curing them and then installing them on new abutments with a new pre-stressed concrete deck with barrier rails will take about 6 months minimum.
That's a long time to endure the major Highway 5 closure. And of course with time outs for screw ups and the 2 to 3 hour rice and bean breaks it could be longer.

The new bridge will have all the charm of 60's era Russian Architecture.

After all the construction workers Styrofoam lunch containers are thrown into the river below the bridge it will probably just silt up

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Another speculation. The bridge will be done in summer of 2024, just ahead of the elections. Any company being affected by all of this have NO power or can influence in any way how long time the potential construction will take. I mean it's been almost 7 months now and no official news when it's going to start, just "rumours" that it's going to start in about 2 months. So if it takes 9 months for them to just start, then how long will it take to actually build it?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Prepare yourself, now both Listin Diario and local Facebook groups have reported that the work on the new bridge is going to start first week in January.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Elections are in July of 2024. The bridge will probably be finished shortly before that.
The Magic 8 Ball says "Not Likely".
Look at the curb work along Hwy 5 in Sosua for a look at how poorly Dominicans do planning, engineering and infrastructure.

I seriously could have taken 4 guys from my home town and completed the work by now with curbs, gutters and sidewalks that actually were on grades and drained.
Willy should fire whoever got the contract on the work, tear it all out and bring in a skilled crew. Which may be the case because I see work has stopped for two weeks?

And don't tear the ground up in front of businesses (like Germany Bar and Restaurants - then leave it for weeks unfinished. Do small parts at a time and finish it.
Absolutely better work can be found in the poorest parts of Africa than this curb work. It's not even acceptable to Haitian standards.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And don't tear the ground up in front of businesses (like Germany Bar and Restaurants - then leave it for weeks unfinished. Do small parts at a time and finish it.
Absolutely right, but that's how they do it here. Just look at the road from Sabaneta to Moca. They tore up long stretches months ago, making it a difficult, dirty stretch for miles. Only now are they making some progress on the rebuild. Let's hope that when they finally get around to replacing the Cangrejo bridge they do a lasting job as quickly as possible.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An article about this appears in today's Listín Diario. It says that work on the Cangrejo bridge will start next month. Yes, I know but that's what it says.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Magic 8 Ball says "Not Likely".
Look at the curb work along Hwy 5 in Sosua for a look at how poorly Dominicans do planning, engineering and infrastructure.

I seriously could have taken 4 guys from my home town and completed the work by now with curbs, gutters and sidewalks that actually were on grades and drained.
Willy should fire whoever got the contract on the work, tear it all out and bring in a skilled crew. Which may be the case because I see work has stopped for two weeks?

Absolutely better work can be found in the poorest parts of Africa than this curb work. It's not even acceptable to Haitian standards.
It sounds like we have the same incompetent morons working on the sidewalks in Cabarete. It's taken them 6 months to do the short 100 yard stretch from Bon to Scotia Bank and it still isn't finished. There's a pile of coliche and blocks piled up on a very short unfinished 5 yard stretch of sidewalk that's been there for 2 months now.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Spin it as you will.
The DR still is a 3rd world country in many aspects.
A mentality hard to overcome.
Once work starts on the bridge I expect it to be completed within three months.
Riu Camu bridge was well done, in a timely manner
The damage done by gov. inaction can be seen on the North Coast and in reduced tourism.

Reactions: chico bill

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
My spanish isn't the greatest,does it say that it will take 7 months to build a new one? 7 months?

habi

Oct 17, 2015
My spanish isn't the greatest,does it say that it will take 7 months to build a new one? 7 months?
Yes! But they did already say 3 months ago that the bridge would be finished in 7 months.... soooo...... :rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe (hoping) it means that it will take 7 months from September when the contract was awarded. That would be a completed date around April.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Maybe (hoping) it means that it will take 7 months from September when the contract was awarded. That would be a completed date around April.
:ROFLMAO: Haha, you wish! I stick firm to my belief that it will be finished around July/August 2024 just before the election so that the candidates (both the local and national) can brag about how they fixed a mayor issue on the north coast...

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Planning ? Have a look at the new 911 / Fire hall being built in Sosua. There is a concrete light pole directly in front of one of the truck bays. And now curbs installed where the trucks would enter.