Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Has anyone recently travelled to Santiago thru Jamao? how is the road condition?
I did it a couple of weeks ago. They're still doing a lot of work on the road and you could get quite badly held up by construction vehicles. I have to go to Santiago from Cabarete next week and I'm planning to take the Via Turistica from Montellano if I don't hear that the bridge diversion is too bad.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i dove across both ways this morning, but they have an excavator on the east side and were unloading one on the west. they have a tent set up with a bunch of chairs so the politicos can all act like they are doing something. Probably have a free lunch too.
Also a lot more soldiers today
So I say as soon as the politico ribbon-cutting is finished they start the demolition.
I doubt you can cross now.

Reactions: bachata

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
i dove across both ways this morning, but they have an excavator on the east side and were unloading one on the west. they have a tent set up with a bunch of chairs so the politicos can all act like they are doing something. Probably have a free lunch too.
Also a lot more soldiers today
So I say as soon as the politico ribbon-cutting is finished they start the demolition.
I doubt you can cross now.
It's definitely going to start this weekend. There are different reports that they would close it today at 11, but also some that say that they will have that "event" tomorrow and from tomorrow it will be closed. So either it's already closed or it will be closed tomorrow.

Aug 21, 2007
Has anyone recently travelled to Santiago thru Jamao? how is the road condition?
I love the improvements on the Jamao mountain road so far. Up until El Cumbre it is like a speed track! They are working on the other side and every few days when I go, it is completed a little more. Depending on what time you pass through you may get temporarily held up by the construction work. However, early in the morning it is fine and typically on weekends no one is working. So far, my trips to Santiago have been cut by about 20 minutes. Only 15 minutes from Jamao to El Cumbre.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I love the improvements on the Jamao mountain road so far. Up until El Cumbre it is like a speed track! They are working on the other side and every few days when I go, it is completed a little more. Depending on what time you pass through you may get temporarily held up by the construction work. However, early in the morning it is fine and typically on weekends no one is working. So far, my trips to Santiago have been cut by about 20 minutes. Only 15 minutes from Jamao to El Cumbre.
That road will be really nice once it's completed.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Around 1130 this morning I was going to PP but they had guards posted at the detour and were directing all traffic to the bypass. Quite bust but steady, it adds about 10 minutes to the trip.
On the way back at 6 the guards at the other side were not there but I took the bypass anyway and ended up behind a tanker of jet fuel. It was barely crawling up the hills and I had no chance to pass. When I got back to the main road I could see that traffic was coming from the bridge so it was open again and I could have used the bridge. Oh well!
I wish these guys would make up there mind as to wether it is open or not.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Around 1130 this morning I was going to PP but they had guards posted at the detour and were directing all traffic to the bypass. Quite bust but steady, it adds about 10 minutes to the trip.
On the way back at 6 the guards at the other side were not there but I took the bypass anyway and ended up behind a tanker of jet fuel. It was barely crawling up the hills and I had no chance to pass. When I got back to the main road I could see that traffic was coming from the bridge so it was open again and I could have used the bridge. Oh well!
I wish these guys would make up there mind as to wether it is open or not.
Yepp, they had a "ceremony" at 11 AM where they announced that they will close the bridge on Tuesday (obviously no one would work tomorrow nor Monday due to the holiday). So it's going to stay open until Tuesday morning, unless they change their minds... again... :rolleyes:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The announcement today was that as of 10.30am this morning the bridge is completely closed. Yesterday they were allowing pedestrians but as of today, it will be completely closed...unless they change that again! I wonder if some entrepreneur will offer ferry boat trips from one side of the river to the other for pedestrians that live in that area???

Reactions: Seamonkey and cavok

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Yepp, now it's closed. Just went through there, not that big of an issue, takes about 10-15 minutes longer than going over the bridge. The main issue is still some trying to overtake others on that narrow road and the many speed bumps that slows down the traffic.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just tried to go from Sosua to PoP and big line up. Bridge closed and some issue it seems. After 20 minutes turned around.