Musicians who are not legal residents getting paid for gigs in the DR - is that legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it legal for musicians who are in the country on tourist cards to work, play music, and get paid for that as musicians in bars and restaurants in the DR?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Of course, if they get paid cash under the table it's no problem, just like illegal workers everywhere, the question is legality.

There were reports a while back of foreigners being deported when caught working illegally here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cash money??
No problem is my guess
Of course, if they get paid cash under the table it's no problem, just like illegal workers everywhere, the question is legality.

There were reports a while back of foreigners being deported when caught working illegally here.
My question is not about if it is a "problem" as referred to above.

My question is very simple: Is it legal regardless if they are paid in cash, bit coin or seashells?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My question is not about if it is a "problem" as referred to above.

My question is very simple: Is it legal regardless if they are paid in cash, bit coin or seashells?
It ia as legal as the Calmados selling Rum from their front porch.............

• Haha
Reactions: Big

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Think about all the musicians who accompany headliners at various concerts in DR……. And the singers themselves. There must be an entertainment clause.

Reactions: keepcoming

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can never understand why people insist on more laws, more government control, etc. Anyone wanting to change the structure of the Dominican Republic should go back to where "Big Brother" runs your life. . To many of us that is the beauty of this Country..............
Please stop your off topic posts in this thread. I am not talking about adding more laws. I am asking about existing laws and what could happen to people I know and have discussed this with if they are discovered being paid for gigs while being in the DR on tourist cards.

I personally know two people who live in the DR full time. Both of them enter the country on tourist cards and have no legal residence in the country. Both of them play music for money. There are others who are in the DR as snowbirds on tourist cards and also play music for money. I asked the question in my original post and would like a legal answer from the legal team of DR1. What could happen to such people?

Status
Not open for further replies.