Musicians who are not legal residents getting paid for gigs in the DR - is that legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The question here is how on earth the OP knows the status of fellow musicians ?
I can say I have or do not have residency, I can say I am a citizen or not . None of my statements makes it true--- or not.

Reminds me of a saying from back home : il aurait vendu du beurre aux allemands.
I bet you say that to all the girls.

Only the shadow knows.

And so do I in some cases.

That is not the question here. The question here is my OP that is awaiting the legal teams answer.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Indeed, but thanks for the irrelevant comment nonetheless.

I did mention that the reason I already mentioned is not my main reason.
Those people are obviously ignorant of the risks they take.

Nobody knows the main reasons but me.
What risks are they taking and do you always try to warn people of their potential risks in life ?
Do you snatch cigarettes from people's mouths ?
Maybe take the car keys away from a tourist you see in the bar that had too much ?
How about warning a fresh tourist that he should not go home with a seedy street walker ?

Some must learn their lessons for their risks, and it could be the hard way.
And you don't need a legal opinion to give them personal advice.
I do not think a musician with no cedula will lose his condo because he takes gigs.
I do not think they will be sent out of DR for driving on a valid US license, and if they have car insurance the insurance will pay.

I agree we should do our best to follow all the regulations but at some point we all violate something and most don't listen to 'the moral police'

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What risks are they taking and do you always try to warn people of their potential risks in life ?
Nope. I tried in this situation and that failed. I was trying to be helpful.
Do you snatch cigarettes from people's mouths ?
I would if I could. I hate cigarrettes.
Maybe take the car keys away from a tourist you see in the bar that had too much ?
Never.
How about warning a fresh tourist that he should not go home with a seedy street walker ?
Nope
Some must learn their lessons for their risks, and it could be the hard way.
And you don't need a legal opinion to give them personal advice.
I am well aware of that. That is not the reason I posted my OP.
I do not think a musician will lose his condo because he takes gigs.
I do not think they will be sent out of DR for driving on a valid US license, and if they have car insurance the insurance will pay.
And you are most likely correct on all counts.
I agree we should do our best to follow all the regulations but at some point we all violate something most don't listen to 'the moral police'
This isn't about morality for me. Nor am I trying to sell butter to Germans.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
SMH...6 pages of this back and forth in the legal forum. OP why start this thread if you are not willing to wait for an answer from Sr. Guzman, I mean that is what you were looking for right?

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
(This isn't about morality for me. Nor am I trying to sell butter to Germans.)
then exactly what are you doing? We all know if your not a legal resident you can’t work here even if you own business but yet you ask a question you know the answer too?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I am glad you (think) you know what others think. I wish I had that power. I am not defending myself. You misunderstand my responses completely. I just pointed out the irrelevance of such comments with something that is on topic. Perhaps that is what you are missing.

So many useless comments here from people who allegedly don't care about the legal answer from DR1's legal team. Because nothing every changes, laws are not enforced, etc etc, etc... I do care and want a response even if I am already quite certain of the answer.

And a few good comments like the one from Bob Saunders about other permits performers can get that don't apply in the OP
but are interesting to know about, And the comment that calling the legal team here will not provide an answer, but they will respond to my post in due time. ,

Now for one minor situation that caused me to ask the question in the OP that I will mention:

What would you think people like this are thinking? Do they face any potential risk? They have their only domicile in the DR, owning two condos on the beach in Cabarete worth over a million US dollars and live here full time for many years except for when they take the occasional trip out of the DR for a week or two at a time. They enter on a tourist card with no legal standing in the country after 30 days past each entry. They drive here on licenses from the USA that are valid for 30 days after each entry and have local insurance. One of them plays gigs that pay frequently. When I asked why they don't become legal residents, I was told " It is none of my business". I had previously mentioned that in their situation it might be wise to be legal. I was attempting to be helpful, but obviously they didn't want to hear it.

Many would say they face no risk at all just living full time, driving and playing music for money in the DR without legal standing. After all nobody cares about people that overstay tourist cards, drive around and work. And obviously these people don't care enough to be legal. There could be a reason they cannot get legal residency. I don't know, I cannot read minds like you can.

By the way, the above is not my main reason for posting the question. That I will keep to myself. For now.
Windeguy, you are being treated so unfairly. Since you are a citizen why not run for elected office?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
SMH...6 pages of this back and forth in the legal forum. OP why start this thread if you are not willing to wait for an answer from Sr. Guzman, I mean that is what you were looking for right?
How do you get an answer from Mr. Guzman if you first don't start a thread posing a question in the legal forum?

There have been other questions posted in this forum and the moderator basically shut down all this back and forth and said to wait for Mr. Guzman's answer.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
How do you get an answer from Mr. Guzman if you first don't start a thread posing a question in the legal forum?

There have been other questions posted in this forum and the moderator basically shut down all this back and forth and said to wait for Mr. Guzman's answer.
This is the legal forum...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The ridiculous thing is that even if a legal opinion was obtained from Mr. Guzman it is quite possible that another lawyer may have a contrary opinion. Far easier just to look up the law for oneself and know what the law is and then remember that the the law will not be complied with. 110 postings ,it is incredible.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The ridiculous thing is that even if a legal opinion was obtained from Mr. Guzman it is quite possible that another lawyer may have a contrary opinion. Far easier just to look up the law for oneself and know what the law is and then remember that the the law will not be complied with. 110 postings ,it is incredible.
Agreed. I think we have 110 pages because the sane members here on board have a hard time dealing with the the insanity of it all. I offered the opinion of contrarian view points 40-50 pages back with my example of why do we have a supreme court? I guess that logic was too deep for the OP.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The unfortunate thing about this thread is that it only benefits one person.....

DR1 works on a community basis most of the time..... helping, clarifying, etc
Yes, we're doing that here but in a VERY limited capacity

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
(This isn't about morality for me. Nor am I trying to sell butter to Germans.)
then exactly what are you doing? We all know if your not a legal resident you can’t work here even if you own business but yet you ask a question you know the answer too?
I did mention a few minor things as to why I asked above. The rest of it I keep to myself. For now.

I am simply looking for a "legal" response that can point me at the actual laws involved. There are some who will disagree with you about being able to work as musicians legally while being an illegal alien. I am not one of those people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The unfortunate thing about this thread is that it only benefits one person.....

DR1 works on a community basis most of the time..... helping, clarifying, etc
Yes, we're doing that here but in a VERY limited capacity
If nobody else posted until the legal response was given from the DR1 legal team to my OP, then there would probably be only 2 or 3 posts in this entire thread.

But that, obviously, is not how things work here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You are the second person to not even realize THIS IS THE LEGAL FORUM!

There was never a reason for anyone to post until an answer from the legal eagles was provided, but have we not had so much fun instead of waiting?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I for one an certain the laws will leave no reason for doubt or alternate interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.