Educa protests teachers taking off school days for more benefits

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Asociacion-Dominicana-Profesores-Google-Maps.png

The decades-long roe between public school teachers representatives, who seek their benefits, and the Ministry of Education in defense of the public school students continues. Now, Educa, the non-governmental education organization, has come forth defending Minister of Education Angel Hernandez when the teachers are resorting to work stoppages to pressure for more benefits.

Public school teachers are so well paid that there has been a hemorrage of teachers from private schools to public schools. But still, the ADP, the union that represents these, wants more.

The teachers took off Friday to organize, meet, and pressure the Ministry of Education for more benefits.

Now Educa (Acción Empresarial por la Educación) is accusing the ADP of not complying with the National Pact for Education Reform. The work stoppages and mobilizations on school calendar dates and times...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not a good look for public teachers.

Aug 21, 2007
Exactly what is “well paid”? Teachers are Never paid enough! Right?

If teachers actually taught here (speaking generally) I would agree for a pay raise. But when the Dominican Republic international achievement test results (PISA) fall at the very bottom among 79 countries worldwide, I think we can conclude the teachers are not doing their job. On a personal level, at I have said on this board several times already, Strength for the Journey has tutored children 9-13 years old who attended public school but could not read a single word. After 3 months working with them twice a week for an hour, they were reading. After one year, they had gains of an average of 5 reading levels. How can this be possible if public school teachers were truly teaching?

Thus, I say a solid NO. Teachers do not deserve more benefits. My opinion only.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Where I live the teachers in public school never work a 5 day week. There are always "meetings" every week.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Educa = Corporate DR / Rich DR Families
ADP = Teacher's National Union

This is just a classic example of the constant fight between DR big families lobbying against providing honest, real benefits to workers. It's been for decades. Now is just more visible thanks to media.