No More Free Luggage Carts At SDQ

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Why dont they just have a " fee" to unlock the cart, think " insert" 25 pesos ?
Then you get the 25 pesos back when you return the cart to a " stand"/cart parking thingy.

Pretty sure that even though most people will not be bothered to take the cart back, some entrepreneurs will gladly do it to get the 25 pesos.

Now I say 25 pesos because thats the highest denomination coin, but we could imagine it being 50 pesos as in 2 coins to unlock.

kzach11

Jul 5, 2022
Dublin
I use SDQ quite often and I see much more than 10% using porter services regardless of the type of transportation they are using. Again, other airports (many) charge for carts so I am surprised that this is an issue with some people. It is not always about the negative.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Why dont they just have a " fee" to unlock the cart, think " insert" 25 pesos ?
Then you get the 25 pesos back when you return the cart to a " stand"/cart parking thingy.

Pretty sure that even though most people will not be bothered to take the cart back, some entrepreneurs will gladly do it to get the 25 pesos.

Now I say 25 pesos because thats the highest denomination coin, but we could imagine it being 50 pesos as in 2 coins to unlock.
Once they get a TASTE of the 150 Peso per Cart Money , there is NO WAY they will ever give that up again.. Each One of those carts can make like 2000 + pesos a day now .. thats big money .

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the porters also help you through custom. example: bring in a Tv or any other item that has custom fees, the porter will help you walk right through customs. once outside, pay him 20 dollars and you are all set. the porters work together with custom officers.
Note: when you have foreigners paying 20-25 dollars just tips alone, the prices will definitely rise on the rest of us.

Reactions: AlterEgo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Once they get a TASTE of the 150 Peso per Cart Money , there is NO WAY they will ever give that up again.. Each One of those carts can make like 2000 + pesos a day now .. thats big money .
Every dom-yol needs like 3 just for a quick visit. You know they bring the whole Bronx apt with them plus half the dollar store. They need one whole cart just for that ridiculous oversized duffle bag with the broken wheels that they just drag around like a lifeless carcass. They borrow them from someone who stored it under the bed for 19 years - shake out the visible roaches and the hidden ones make it to DR to hatch eggs everywhere.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
One of the best values at Santo Dom airport is to hire a baggage porter. They collect all of your luggage and wisk you out of the airport to a professional taxi. I'M gonna take some heat, however I always tip the gentleman 20 U.S (minimum), now it will be 25

And we're back to the debate about how the Americans think it's OK to splosh these massive tips around and the rest of us think that a smaller amount would be just fine. Out of interest, when you get to your hotel, what do you tip the person who helps you with your bags? And the person who cleans your room? And the taxi driver who takes you to your hotel? And the guy who packs your bags in the supermarket and carries them to your house?

For me a RD$ 1,300 tip just for taking a bag through an airport is huge, given that those poor guys who pack bags at supermarkets and carry them out in the sun and the rain probably don't make that in two days.

Reactions: johne

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
the porters also help you through custom. example: bring in a Tv or any other item that has custom fees, the porter will help you walk right through customs. once outside, pay him 20 dollars and you are all set. the porters work together with custom officers.
Note: when you have foreigners paying 20-25 dollars just tips alone, the prices will definitely rise on the rest of us.

That works until it doesn't work. The last time I came through customs I had an expensive computer in my bag. I said to the porter that I hoped he could whizz me through customs, that line usually works for me. But the idiot went up to the supervisor and said that this lady doesn't want to be searched, pretty much just like that, and the guy was having none of it. He asked me what I had in my bags, I said nothing, just the usual clothes and a lot of shoes, I joined the line and then when the bags had been through the X ray they stopped me and made me open one of the bags (luckily the one without the computer). And we chatted and they were cool and let me go.

I get the impression things are changing at the airports though in terms of security. The guy on immigration at Punta Cana mentioned that he used to work at Santo Domingo but recently they have all been put on rotating shifts, so they do a week here, a week there. I imagine this is to combat fraud, the police do the same in the Colonial Zone, keep moving people around so it's difficult for people to pay people off.

So my advice would be not to say anything, definitely use a porter, and hope that they can get you through a bit quicker but don't count on it.

Reactions: jd426 and JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
And we're back to the debate about how the Americans think it's OK to splosh these massive tips around and the rest of us think that a smaller amount would be just fine. Out of interest, when you get to your hotel, what do you tip the person who helps you with your bags? And the person who cleans your room? And the taxi driver who takes you to your hotel? And the guy who packs your bags in the supermarket and carries them to your house?

For me a RD$ 1,300 tip just for taking a bag through an airport is huge, given that those poor guys who pack bags at supermarkets and carry them out in the sun and the rain probably don't make that in two days.
Well I would answer your question if I thought it was sincere. So, if you insist on balancing your budget on the backs of service people waiting on you hand and foot have at it. Let your conscious be your guide.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maria does make a very valid Point .... I was going to blast her for what appeared to be Virtue Signaling to the Poor Expats who can barely afford to have Service people Tend to them hand and foot ...
but as she says The Porter can be your friend or he can literally RAT you out or maybe even set you up ? So I would be careful with those Generous Tips.
And if you think thats not possible , Read up on what was happening at MANILA Airport ... they would SNEAK a Bullet into your Luggage and then proceed to shake you down. and Hard ... Not saying the same thing would happen on ARRIVAL in the DR .. but it does open that possibility .. $20 to me seems more like a BRIBE than a " thank you " for services . I think I will take my OWN Bags outside to the Car or Taxi. The Cart will do just fine .. but to each his own .
Security is more of a Concern, than Convenience ... although I have no problems flipping someone a Propina ..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well I would answer your question if I thought it was sincere. So, if you insist on balancing your budget on the backs of service people waiting on you hand and foot have at it. Let your conscious be your guide.
Comical: "Waiting on you hand and foot"... you can't make this stuff up.( Walking 25 yards from the carousel thru an agent that barely can read,) will signal you thru 99% of the time by just having eye contact, walking briskly and saying "Holla Amor".

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Comical: "Waiting on you hand and foot"... you can't make this stuff up.( Walking 25 yards from the carousel thru an agent that barely can read,) will signal you thru 99% of the time by just having eye contact, walking briskly and saying "Holla Amor".
"comical' indeed. I am a business traveler. Not a croc wearing tourist in search of a 150-peso beer.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have no problem with tipping at the airport for porter services. I am not an "extravagant" gringa. But I do believe in tipping for services. I cannot count the times using a porter who I tipped saved me from being "searched". The "hola mi amor walking briskly" never worked for me.

Reactions: MariaRubia and Big

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe I am missing something ... but at STI last 2 times I traveled there , EVERYONES luggage had to go through the XRay before Exiting . ( I think in the past it used to be Random, as I recall,,) these idiots even put my duty free bottles through the X Ray ... This is just before you walk out the door ..
is this the Search people are referring to ? or are you talking about Opening your Bags , because that has never ever happened to me upon arrival .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have no problem with tipping at the airport for porter services. I am not an "extravagant" gringa. But I do believe in tipping for services. I cannot count the times using a porter who I tipped saved me from being "searched". The "hola mi amor walking briskly" never worked for me.
It's meant for male to female. And the body motion of the male is a well practiced art. ;)

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I think most Americans are very selective about who they tip. They tip the person in front of them, but don't think about who is really doing all the work behind the scenes. Remember I work in the hospitality sector, I see people tipping and not tipping daily.

Reactions: JD Jones