Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Apparently the beams are on their way:

Hard to tell from that video. They produce beams like this all the time, so this may be a beam going somewhere else.

If the bases of the beams were completed, I'd say it's a possibility, but nobody is posting pictures of the progress there.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
1697138987282.png
1697139046262.png
1697139092776.png

This is the progress as of 330 this afternoon. Oct 12
Sure docent look like it is ready for any beams yet. Still have to form up the abutments, pour the concrete, strip the forms, let the concrete cure, backfill the abutments.....all that before the beams then the bridge deck, more curing od concrete. I see at the very least 3 months of continuos work before any traffic can cross.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
View attachment 8393View attachment 8394View attachment 8395
Sure docent look like it is ready for any beams yet. Still have to form up the abutments, pour the concrete, strip the forms, let the concrete cure, backfill the abutments.....all that before the beams then the bridge deck, more curing od concrete. I see at the very least 3 months of continuos work before any traffic can cross.
Slow work, but lovely weather btw.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I agree, its great weather....if you are sitting watching. I have been where those guys are and working under the hot sun is not so great. Add to that the low wages and it makes everything slow down. Oh and working in the freezing cold is no picnic either. I have done both.
Slow work, but lovely weather btw.

Reactions: bachata

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
How many years was the last rebuild in place?
Depending on the source, between 90-70 years.
But then, who was the nation's leader during that period?
I think Trujillo was able to persuade his subjects better than the current leaders are able to do now.
And also, everyone who lived back then knows that things built 100 years ago were built to last an eternity.
Not so much anymore. Now everything is supposed to be cheap and if you're lucky it'll last a month.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I think Trujillo was able to persuade his subjects better than the current leaders are able to do now.
And also, everyone who lived back then knows that things built 100 years ago were built to last an eternity.
Not so much anymore. Now everything is supposed to be cheap and if you're lucky it'll last a month.
Right, well when all jobs go to those most willing to kick back, skill and expertise go out the window. Short cuts are taken to maximize profits.

Reactions: Kricke87

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Finishing touches in Cangrejo. Would a finishing touch be actually having beams in place to span the river?

I've been an engineer on longer bridges. Mine were built by foreign contractors from Japan, Korea and Turkey. They went faster than Cangrejo, but I don't expect DR to match their speed.

I will stand by my earlier prediction. There won't be traffic on that bridge before April 2024.
So I am okay then, I won't be there before that date.

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I agree, its great weather....if you are sitting watching. I have been where those guys are and working under the hot sun is not so great. Add to that the low wages and it makes everything slow down. Oh and working in the freezing cold is no picnic either. I have done both.
Perfect weather here where I am , between 50 and 70 Farenheit this week.

JJ

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
View attachment 8393View attachment 8394View attachment 8395
Thanks for the pictures!!!!

Reactions: bachata

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Just sat in that detour 2 times last week...enough already just finish it................

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
391699473_351505620873202_1383386586578095688_n.jpg

PUERTO PLATA. - Against the clock and at full capacity, construction work on the new bridge over the Camú River in the Sabaneta de Cangrejos community continues.
For several weeks now, a large number of workers and heavy equipment have been seen at the site, under the supervision of engineers, working diligently on said infrastructure work.
It is the new viaduct is of vital importance to link locations located on the main road that connects San Felipe de Puerto Plata, Montellano, and Sosúa with the General Gregorio Luperón International Airport.
Said four-lane viaduct was erected by Grupo Estrella, with a million-dollar investment by the central government, after the old bridge collapsed more than a year ago and it is projected that it will be delivered before Christmas Eve.
The work on said road infrastructure is supervised by a board of engineers headed by Manuel Estrella, who meticulously inspects the placement of the stirrup linkage and the boards that will support the metal part above.
Likewise, the director of the Cibao-North Regional of the Ministry of Public Works and Communications (MOPC), Basilio González, gave guarantees that the bridge over the Camú River in Sabaneta de Cangrejos will be delivered in December of this year as promised by President Luis Abinader.
Work is being done tirelessly on the construction of this bridge; several immense high-quality steel beams have already been made in the Grupo Estrella workshops that will be transported to Puerto Plata to carry out this long-awaited work," said González.
By: Antonio Heredia

Reactions: cavok

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
391699473_351505620873202_1383386586578095688_n.jpg

PUERTO PLATA. - Against the clock and at full capacity, construction work on the new bridge over the Camú River in the Sabaneta de Cangrejos community continues.
For several weeks now, a large number of workers and heavy equipment have been seen at the site, under the supervision of engineers, working diligently on said infrastructure work.
It is the new viaduct is of vital importance to link locations located on the main road that connects San Felipe de Puerto Plata, Montellano, and Sosúa with the General Gregorio Luperón International Airport.
Said four-lane viaduct was erected by Grupo Estrella, with a million-dollar investment by the central government, after the old bridge collapsed more than a year ago and it is projected that it will be delivered before Christmas Eve.
The work on said road infrastructure is supervised by a board of engineers headed by Manuel Estrella, who meticulously inspects the placement of the stirrup linkage and the boards that will support the metal part above.
Likewise, the director of the Cibao-North Regional of the Ministry of Public Works and Communications (MOPC), Basilio González, gave guarantees that the bridge over the Camú River in Sabaneta de Cangrejos will be delivered in December of this year as promised by President Luis Abinader.
Work is being done tirelessly on the construction of this bridge; several immense high-quality steel beams have already been made in the Grupo Estrella workshops that will be transported to Puerto Plata to carry out this long-awaited work," said González.
By: Antonio Heredia
if you compare these fotos with the ones I took last Friday you can tell these were taken well before mine. optimistic engineers or just plain liars, who knows. When its not ready for the presidential opening they will have some very good excuses for the delays.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, well... Let's see if it happens in December 2023.
Most metal bridges in the DR were built by Trujillo. While it's often said things built now don't have the quality of then, anything built by Estrella isn't known to recently be in the news because it collapsed or started to make weird noises or is basically starting to fall apart. In the same token, construction workers in all their projects are properly dressed with helmets and such, not just for the photo. That's about as serious of an Dominican engineering company as it gets.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Well, well... Let's see if it happens in December 2023.

Most metal bridges in the DR were built by Trujillo. While it's often said things built now don't have the quality of then, anything built by Estrella isn't known to recently be in the news because it collapsed or started to make weird noises or is basically starting to fall apart. In the same token, construction workers in all their projects are properly dressed with helmets and such, not just for the photo. That's about as serious of an Dominican engineering company as it gets.
I believe they are even better than Oderbrecht.

Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.