Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So, you were just joking about it being a six-lane bridge then? I missed the sarcasm.
Honestly? No, I was serious about it being 3 lanes each way and sidewalks on each side.

That may be too much, but I still think it could be two lanes each way with sidewalks.

Have you seen any of the other small-town bridges they have built around the country lately?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Honestly? No, I was serious about it being 3 lanes each way and sidewalks on each side.

That may be too much, but I still think it could be two lanes each way with sidewalks.

Have you seen any of the other small-town bridges they have built around the country lately?
No, I haven't(?).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I get it!!! Still think it’s overkill River would has to rise 15’ to even touch that bridge..
You wash out an abutment or have floating trees get snagged then things can change quick. Thank God engineers are taught to be conservative so lives aren't lost

Reactions: jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
I'm not an Engineer, nor ever falsely claimed to be one ( unlike some of the Skumbag Bosses I have worked for in the past )
but that said
I don't understand why people are almost not even happy with the fact that they are building OVER KILL into this bridge.
The prev Bridge FAILED to do its Job.. it was dangerous , it literally cracked . I would think people would be DELIGHTED about the way this NEW one is being built with Extra Margins of Safety , and perhaps even bike and Pedestrian Lanes ? , where a a family can peacefully walk without fear of being hit by a Truck . I always believed in Building to GROW into something . I really think Orders came down from very high up. "hey lets ,build it once and build it right".
just sayin

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not an Engineer, nor ever falsely claimed to be one ( unlike some of the Skumbag Bosses I have worked for in the past )
but that said
I don't understand why people are almost not even happy with the fact that they are building OVER KILL into this bridge.
The prev Bridge FAILED to do its Job.. it was dangerous , it literally cracked . I would think people would be DELIGHTED about the way this NEW one is being built with Extra Margins of Safety , and perhaps even bike and Pedestrian Lanes ? , where a a family can peacefully walk without fear of being hit by a Truck . I always believed in Building to GROW into something . I really think Orders came down from very high up. "hey lets ,build it once and build it right".
just sayin
Are you referring to me? I have no idea how they are going to build the bridge(?). I haven't seen any pictures. There was one post that said it was going to be six-lanes. My only comment was that I didn't see how that was going to work going down to two lanes w/o bulldozing down all the houses and businesses going through town.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Are you referring to me? I have no idea how they are going to build the bridge(?). I haven't seen any pictures. There was one post that said it was going to be six-lanes. My only comment was that I didn't see how that was going to work going down to two lanes w/o bulldozing down all the houses and businesses going through town.
No, not singling you out,
just a general feeling from some of the Posts ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, not singling you out,
just a general feeling from some of the Posts ..
Whatever they build is fine with me. I'll just be glad there's finally a bridge there. If it's six-lanes and they have to bulldoze down the center of town later - not my money, not my problem.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The prev Bridge FAILED to do its Job.. it was dangerous , it literally cracked . I would think
just sayin

As a civil engineer I have to respectfully disagree.

The old bridge failed from poor maintenance and some questionable welds. It was old for a steel bridges in a tropical environment.

Those type bridges require frequent inspection, painting with industrial rust preventative paint and even periodic rivet or bolt replacement. And cathodic protection should be used on a steel bridge's substructure.
In fact sacrificial anodes are also used in concrete bridges subject to elevated salt exposure to reduce corrosion to reinforcing rebar.

Just like a car in the snow where ice is used in the winter - it limits its life.
Someone is painting every day on the Golden Gate Bridge (yeah I know that's a different animal).

But that old bridge was built when the North Coast was a just handful of old Jewish farmers & refugees from Austria and Germany who came under Trujillo. It was never designed to handle over-loaded rock trucks hauling boulders for a Marriott artifical beach, nor semi tractor trailers at 50 MPH. It was a testament to it's strength it lasted 70 years.
I recall when they were hauling those boulders for the Marriott breakwater on DR1 we discussed the road damages being caused and questions were raised about that bridge being able to withstand it.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
As a civil engineer I have to respectfully disagree.

The old bridge failed from poor maintenance and some questionable welds. It was old for a steel bridges in a tropical environment.

Those type bridges require frequent inspection, painting with industrial rust preventative paint and even periodic rivet or bolt replacement. And cathodic protection should be used on a steel bridge's substructure.
In fact sacrificial anodes are also used in concrete bridges subject to elevated salt exposure to reduce corrosion to reinforcing rebar.

Just like a car in the snow where ice is used in the winter - it limits its life.
Someone is painting every day on the Golden Gate Bridge (yeah I know that's a different animal).

But that old bridge was built when the North Coast was a just handful of old Jewish farmers & refugees from Austria and Germany who came under Trujillo. It was never designed to handle over-loaded rock trucks hauling boulders for a Marriott artifical beach, nor semi tractor trailers at 50 MPH. It was a testament to it's strength it lasted 70 years.
I recall when they were hauling those boulders for the Marriott breakwater on DR1 we discussed the road damages being caused and questions were raised about that bridge being able to withstand it.
I remember those trucks...the trucks were enormous and they would contain one gigantic boulder. It's amazing we have any roads left after that.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You have to wonder how that rusty rebar effects the longevity of the concrete ?
Rebar than is properly encased in concrete with minimum of a couple inches of clearance will not have issues as it is deprived of air unless a large crack develops so surface rust won't destroy the rebar.
But if they leave tie wire on the deck of the pour or rebar close to the forms then yes it can continue to rust and spall

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Chico Bill
So the OLD Bridge was Overkill for its Time period. Sounds like they were probably very proud of it .. and now this New Bridge should be overkill as well, not just built to handle current traffic. I believe that is called proper Planning...
I did not know the History of the Old bridge and that it lasted 70 Years in that Climate, that IS impressive.
No insult to the People who built the Old one was Intended .. I just meant that it DID Fail , as you explained because of improper Maintenance. and therefore it had to be replaced , not just welded back up to get another 4 years out of it .
I stand corrected on all those Points ....
I was however speaking to this " why do we need 6 lanes" mentality . I would think people would be happy about it .
70 Years is a LONG time to Aspire to .

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Chico Bill
So the OLD Bridge was Overkill for its Time period. Sounds like they were probably very proud of it .. and now this New Bridge should be overkill as well, not just built to handle current traffic. I believe that is called proper Planning...
I did not know the History of the Old bridge and that it lasted 70 Years in that Climate, that IS impressive.
No insult to the People who built the Old one was Intended .. I just meant that it DID Fail , as you explained because of improper Maintenance. and therefore it had to be replaced , not just welded back up to get another 4 years out of it .
I stand corrected on all those Points ....
I was however speaking to this " why do we need 6 lanes" mentality . I would think people would be happy about it .
70 Years is a LONG time to Aspire to .
I think the main point is, who cares if it's supposed to last 70 years and be able to handle the traffic in 70 years.. None of us here on this forum will be alive in 70 years. It would therefore have been so much better if they built a bridge that could handle the traffic and that would have been in place 1 year ago, not allegedly in 3 months (I still don't think it's going to be finished until possibly end of next spring)...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Once again, you've totally misinterpreted my post. I couldn't care less if they build a 10-lane bridge. Maybe you didn't see my post #667(?).

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I've said it before - any kind of advance future planning has never been a strong suit for the DR.

The DR is crisis management at its finest.
Having a plan, and following thru.... is something I have never had the pleasure of seeing a government here do..............

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Not to cheat and Google it , but I recall reading that Concrete was discovered thousands of years ago, but then the Formula was LOST for many years ? , and rediscovered again .. my memory is not what it used to be .

But, it looks like the Dominicans LOST the Recipe again .. lmao
What a bunch of Pathetic Losers .. even with the President WATCHING ,they still manage to eff up something as Simple as the Pouring of Concrete .
The Romans used concrete that lasted 2 thousand years... their secret was volcanic ash and of course hard work and talented builders... things in short supply here

Status
Not open for further replies.