The DR and the Recession of 2008

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So economy of DR is OK and will be OK even without American, German, Canadian and Russian money coming in?

Yes it will!

Without consumers` spending?

The internal economy is rolling just about the same as before the present crisis of the external financial markets...

Without international credits?

Tell which was the last mortgage paid for by an international bank in my city of Santiago? The last biz that was open with an international loan or backing in the busiest commercial street of Santiago or SD? The last car bought with a credit line offered via international funding... Shall I go on?

Or there are local consumers to replace those stupid and unneeded Americans, Russians and Germans? And local super rich banks to replace bankraupt Wachovia and Lehman Brothers??

Local consumers in the DR are defined as me, my wife, kids, family, etc... We have forever been the local consumers of this country... Not retirees sitting in the Juan Dolio's beaches gulping don beers...

Who are they , if not a top secret?

Guys from Los Charamicos? From El Tablon?

Or those fifty super rich Dominican families will be selling to each other and buying from each other those niveras, lavaropas y ordinadores to maintain local economy even more high and flying above the rest of the world?

OK, it will be interesting to see los charamiquienios and los juandolioenos buying condos for quarter mil Am. Doll. formely intended for now broke gringos.

Will be interesting to see.

So... Before the foreigners made the beach heads in the DR, Dominicans lived on panhandling...? A few thousands expats in the DR are the bulk of the country's economy? If expats in the country don't buy "niveras, lavaropas y ordinadores " the local economy is doomed? ??

I do not know about others but I am really intrigued to watch rabbits jumping out of the hat of el mago.

The guy is cool. True. Cool.

His typing finger must be well developed .

I need typists BTW. Please see "Employment" section.

PLEASE! Mr. Foreigner don't leave us! OUR ECONOMY DEPENDS OF THE FEW OF YOU FOR THE REST OF OVER 8 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY...

POOR US!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A lot of people seem to be indicating that they see things are getting worse, often much worse, regardless of your lengthy posts and those numbers.

I am more interested in the quality of life for the majority of the people and I'd like to see some survey results on consumer confidence and general well being instead of those numbers.
How are the employment numbers and are incomes rising more than inflation?
If the overall quality of life is getting worse, I don't see how your posts and those numbers will bring people any comfort, or food, or cervezas, or .......:tired:

Have yet to see the day a Dominican NOT complaint about the economy and living conditions in the country. Only those that have migrated to other countries and made biz there, would come clean about appreciating the stuff they took for granted in the DR...

Again, don't give me chit-chat or hearsay but a tangible support of the DR's economy becoming a casualty of the current financial crisis...

It's all I ask for... Is it that hard a request, given the untold amount of experts on the DR's economy posting here before?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So... Before the foreigners made the beach heads in the DR, Dominicans lived on panhandling...? A few thousands expats in the DR are the bulk of the country's economy? If expats in the country don't buy "niveras, lavaropas y ordinadores " the local economy is doomed? ??

Picardo, this is not only a few thousand expats, but a complete tourism industry that people are talking about...

Anyway, the mental image of two dominicans panhandling to one another was hugely funny this morning. I guess it will turn out not to be funny at all as times goes on..

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Again, don't give me chit-chat or hearsay but a tangible support of the DR's economy becoming a casualty of the current financial crisis...
Do you live in the Dominican Republic?

As we are often reminded, the people who live there see reality much more clearly than those who don't.
They are often much more credible and relevant than some numbers.
Such rosy statistics might be an indication of greater corruption and wealth gaps.

People living in the Dominican Republic, who are struggling to make ends meet and get by in life and finding it more and more difficult just to maintain their standard of living, don't care about your lengthy posts and those numbers.

Why don't you go around and enlighten them as well?
I'm sure they would be happy to show you where you can shove those numbers.:cheeky:

Reactions: AK74

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The elec. problem fix up has more to do with dealing with the aftermath of cutting the subsidy and face the people used to, since Columbus time, to illegal hookups...

It's a tough pill to swallow...

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH,
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BALAGUER did the damage.
Maybe Columbus gave them free candles...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Picardo, this is not only a few thousand expats, but a complete tourism industry that people are talking about...

Anyway, the mental image of two dominicans panhandling to one another was hugely funny this morning. I guess it will turn out not to be funny at all as times goes on..

Chris, one sector that will feel the pinch out of the crisis in the world financial markets is tourism; nevertheless, one must also understand that today's fast paced markets are not your 1920's crashes and recession derivative. Today's market are strongly ruled by supply and demand to the point that, even with certain goods and sectors of commerce affected severely by the downturn, others are just sprucing up.

In today's capitalistic model, local economies turn to tangible markets; the market niches capable of offering concrete goods which the society needs regardless. Crops will not become extinct as people need to eat, according to their cultural and historical food habits. People will continue to need corrective lenses, clothes, shoes, belts, etc...

What people won't have much need for is sport?s commentator, the gamut of analysts, financial advisers, stock brokers, public relation reps, etc... Anybody that's not performing an essential task that brings concrete profit and provides equally to the basic needs of societies will be on the red...

The DR is a capitalistic model at some level, but it has retained the basic markets infrastructure to the "T"... One needs not venture too far in most city streets to find the basics of any old world economy. A shoe repair shop here, open goods market there, crops from the growers, etc...

The world's financial markets most affected by the crisis are those where jobs are NOT of a basic need to a stripped society to mere building blocs.

The US boasts the most top graded professionals in related fields, but at the same time owns the largest group of non basic economics? workforce.

The tourism industry of the DR is feeling the pinch of the crisis? Of course it does! But to say that it would fold tent is a far cry given that it's Dominicans who supported firsthand the industry and will continue to do so in the long term. People think of the DR tourism industry as de facto a "foreign" supported enterprise in the DR. Not by a long shot!

That the recent growth in the niche has been driven towards foreign tourists is an understatement! The only thing that has affected the growth of the sector can be traced to the cuts in regular flights by a 90% measure, rather than the crisis playing out today.

A Dominican supported enterprise you ask? Heck! Only less than 15 years ago it's when the sector moved to catch the foreign tourist as main point of revenue...

Some people here are posting about social discontent and public protests (some violent) going off in the country. If you think that they're something big, lucky you never witnessed the old protests in the country before...
The protests today are like a walk off made out of mothers and newborns compared to years back... You have no IDEA b/c YOU'RE NEWCOMERS to the party...

Do I understand the DR's economy? I was born to it and live to it by the heartbeat... Today instead of enjoying my country and family at home, I have to bust my rear in the US to salvage as much as I can from the "Buy with loaned money, don't pay back" of the American way...

Have yet to see one cent from my DR's investments go to the drain or any of my family or biz associates for that matter... Here the situation is best not to even talk about it, since it gives ulcers just thinking of it...

Let me tell you a little something about the country you call second home (DR): We pay the highest markup rates than any other place in the world I know off... From food to imports, we pay the price that most people would go hungry and bear naked in the world have they needed to pay such rates. Yet, here we're! Doing our hustling and moving on along the other LA countries on pace to sustained economic growth!

We pay the highest rates for Gas in LA, water, electricity, internet, phone, cable, you name it, and we pay the Bill Gates share of it...

But don't take my word for it! Just come up with ONE, O - N - E, (1), UNO... tangible example of the DR's economy going to the dogs as of right now...

I'm in the middle of a bunch of people calling out "the sky is falling" and nothing can be shown to the naked eye for it...

ONE (1), UNO, UNA, 1!!!!

:cheeky:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A lot of people seem to be indicating that they see things are getting worse, often much worse, regardless of your lengthy posts and those numbers.

I am more interested in the quality of life for the majority of the people and I'd like to see some survey results on consumer confidence and general well being instead of those numbers.
How are the employment numbers and are incomes rising more than inflation?
If the overall quality of life is getting worse, I don't see how your posts and those numbers will bring people any comfort, or food, or cervezas, or .......:tired:

If a gov used polls to support economic policies and status based on the "perceived" opinion of the people, that gov would be over within hours...

Since birth, I have yet to hear somebody express that things are pretty good and the economy is rosy in the DR... "La pina esta agria" has been the trade mark of Dominicans for eons...

In the DR the more people moved into a place, the more costly things become. The reverse of competition for market share happens...

Most expats living in the pueblitos on the coasts hate to see newcomers there, they know that things will become pricey for them as more and more people make the trek to their unique corner of the country...

Merchants hike their prices b/c they think more people means more odds to sell, therefore markups must be increased regardless...

Quality of life in the DR is an oxymoron of sorts... You hve to take some BS in order to enjoy what the DR has to offer. That's the way of our country like it or not...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
If a gov used polls to support economic policies and status based on the "perceived" opinion of the people, that gov would be over within hours...
My point was that a lot of people who live in the Dominican Republic don't seem to be seeing the benefits of your rose coloured glasses and those numbers.

How do you know that those numbers are trickling down and improving life for the masses?

People who are finding it more difficult to get ahead, or just provide the necessities of life, don't care about rosy numbers.
One who can't afford medicine will not be cured by a GDP statistic.

What is the unemployment rate in the Dominican Republic and is it going up or down?
Are wages increasing more than inflation in the Dominican Republic?

I am not predicting doom and gloom for the Dominican Republic but you seem to be extremely optimistic.
Reality will probably end up being somewhere in the middle, hopefully closer to your end of the scale.

Reactions: Tamborista

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Facts not fiction::

Dominicantoday.com

Dominican Republic experiences tourism growth.
Santo Domingo.– Between January and August 2,567,050 tourists visited the Dominican Republic, according to its Ministry of Tourism. This is a 4.5% increase compared to the same period in 2007, when 2,455,932 tourists visited.

Over half the tourists came through Punta Cana International Airport (54.7%), while the remaining amount came through Las Americas International Airport (19.3%), Puerto Plata (15.8%) and La Romana (5.5%).

A small number of tourists arrived by Santiago's central Cibao airport, or Isabela airport in Santo Domingo and El Catey airport in Saman?.

According to the Ministry of Tourism, the Russian tourist market grew considerably in 2008 with an 83% increase in Russian tourists compared to last year, Ukrainian tourism is up 11% and Polish tourism is up 92.5%.

From Latin America, there were also increases. There were increases from Brazil (up 32.5%), Ecuador (up 37.9%), Mexico (up 15.5%), Chile (up 44.8%), Argentina (up 38.1%) and Colombia (30.1%) as air links improved.

..............................................................................................................

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just from Canada there's an approved charter schedule from Nov to May of more than 200 flights, the bulk represented by the operations of Air Canada and Air Transat...

Do the math...

Russian liners will be making daily operations to the DR's tourism points as well, something done before with less frequency by tour operators, now being taken over by Russian airliners on a permanent basis...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the banking crisis of the USA has very little effect in our micro-economy?
A report by the ABA (Association of Commercial Banks of the Dominican Republic) clears up the picture quite well on this matter.

As it stands Dominican Commercial Banks work with an index of reliability over 14.5, 45% over the established requirements from the Financial and Monetary Law as well as doubled the established requirement by international banking norms.

The Banks assets and reserves surpass a good 140% and more of liabilities and LOCs.
The Dominican Banks work under a basis of strong backed loans for risk management, as it stands, the loan process of the DR in both commercial and residential mortgages is on a complete different level than the one faced by US and most affected financial institutions in the world today...

When your risk actives are backed by over 100% assets, the downturn of any economic crisis to banks must be a total collapse of the country under dire conditions and economic chaos.

If a failure of such magnitude was to occur, banks failing or solvency fitness is a drop of water in the sea compared to.

The only thing affecting the RE market today in the DR is prices of raw materials...

Another aspect quite open, is that foreigners who used their equity in their home country and availed themselves of funds to invest in the DR, now need to cash in their assets in order to face their back home financial meltdown. Those areas affected by a stagnant RE solvency are the enclaves of expats in the pueblitos on the coasts of the DR.

The RE crunch there, is nothing more than expats in need of liquids unable to unload property at the time table they're used to in the home country's RE market.
Like I explained here before, the DR's RE market is on a class all it's own on this very sensitive issue...

You can't get market price b/c market price doesn't exist in the DR. You pay or sell at the rate MOST convenient at that point in time, to either seller or buyer. The seller may face a need to cash in and agree to a lower price, or the buyer needs to commit in short term or face more problems in their quest.

Time is the going price setter in the DR's RE market...

We'll see a sharp drop in imports into the DR from traditional markets, as the local consumers (us, not you expats) seek to cut spending sharply in order to face the reduced growth of the economy.

The present credit rates are part of why our economy is still strong enough to support the crunch affecting other markets so rapidly. We're based on a stronger micro-economy, one able to support the ups and downs from financial spikes and dips.

Just so you have a pixel of an idea of how our economy is shielded from the ongoing crisis, if need be and the DR's economy suffers a major turn to the worst; the DR can radically make cuts to taxes that affect the internal commerce by as much as 50% off the brute price. Try that in any other economy today...

Did you know that we pay street prices on gasoline well beyond what we must and need to? Same for raw materials, industrialized goods, etc...

Take a stroll into a new car dealer and match the prices to that of the same vehicles at origin... A TV, washer, etc...

We have a very powerful controlled economy...
It's very small compared to that of the US and affected countries today, but is 50 times or more much stronger than all of them put together... it's that simple!

In the DR those that owe a mortgage is b/c they can afford it, those that carry an average credit limit, do so b/c they can pay the balance without going bankrupt or to jail for failing to do so, those that get personal or biz loans do so b/c they can provide collateral in case of default... Our system is better than the US, it may limit the living standards of many, but it assures that those that live the lifestyle can afford to do so at their own expense and not that of the country's economy.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Just so you have a pixel of an idea of how our economy is shielded from the ongoing crisis, if need be and the DR's economy suffers a major turn to the worst; the DR can radically make cuts to taxes that affect the internal commerce by as much as 50% off the brute price. Try that in any other economy today...
Any country can drastically cut taxes but not without repercussions.
Are you claiming that the Dominican Republic is the only country that can afford to make drastic tax cuts?
I had no idea that the DR was running such budget surpluses.
Perhaps the IMF would be interested in such tax cuts.
Did you know that we pay street prices on gasoline well beyond what we must and need to? Same for raw materials, industrialized goods, etc...
Take a stroll into a new car dealer and match the prices to that of the same vehicles at origin... A TV, washer, etc...
I am no economist but higher prices, taxes, and inflation do not seem like favourable attributes for an economy with relatively much lower incomes.
We have a very powerful controlled economy...
It's very small compared to that of the US and affected countries today, but is 50 times or more much stronger than all of them put together... it's that simple!
Why do so many Dominicans leave this 50+ times more powerful economy to work in such weak economies?

Why is it that this 50+ times more powerful economy receives foreign aid from such weak economies?

Since you like numbers so much, can you answer a few simple questions regarding this 50+ times more powerful economy and how they compare to these much weaker economies?
What is the per capita income?
What is the poverty rate?
What is the unemployment rate?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pichardo, if the DR economy is so dynamic, why does it need the charity of the world to pay it's bills?

The WB and IMF continually bail it out.

I love the DR, but see a strong disconnect between the one I see and deal with and the one you chat about. And many folks think I have on rose colored glasses...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pichardo, if the DR economy is so dynamic, why does it need the charity of the world to pay it's bills?

The WB and IMF continually bail it out.

I love the DR, but see a strong disconnect between the one I see and deal with and the one you chat about. And many folks think I have on rose colored glasses...
The DR economy is much more dynamic than most people think.

First and foremost, the DR rarely asks for help from the IMF and/or World Bank. From the 1930s to 1960s the country was not dependent on foreign loans or grants for any of its functions. Trujillo took control of everything and he ensured that he was truly in control. Since the 1970s, the DR has gone to the IMF only two times. The first time was in the 1980s under Balaguer's term and that was due to complications that were created once Mexico declared a moratorium on its own debt, unfairly condemning every single Latin American country since banks the world over refused to lend a single dime to Latin American countries after that.

The second time was during the financial crisis earlier this decade due to the collapse of a few banks. That's pretty much it.

In both instances, it was the Dominican government that requested such help, much in the way the U.S. government borrowed over $700 billion a few weeks ago to save its own economy from collapse. I don't think the US economy is any less dynamic because of that and neither is the DR economy.

Second, the DR is an economic aid recipient, but far from having its bills paid by the international community. The fiscal budget for the government in 2007 was a little over $7 billion dollars. $77 million of those was from the economic aid, yes $77 million or a paltry 1%. That's hardly enough to pay any bills, well maybe one or two.

Third, lets do a quick analysis of the composition of the Dominican economy.

In the eastern region the economy is dominated by the two overwhelmingly export sectors of agriculture (mostly sugar) and tourism. To a lesser extent the free trade zones are important, but even these are export oriented. The only sectors of the economy that are internally focused is also in agriculture, mostly the cattle grazing industry and the orange plantations in Hig?ey, which are geared mostly for local consumption. Everything else is export oriented and local commerce is relatively insignificant.

In the southern region the economy is dominated by one industry that is agriculture, most of it export oriented. Every other economic sector is relatively insignificant and free trade zones practically don't exist in this part of the country. In fact, the economy is so poor here that even the largest towns pale in comparison to towns elsewhere in the country in terms of economic activity, the size of the middle class, or even activity in general.

In the northern region is where the economy is the most diversified, mostly concentrated in the Cibao Valley triangle of Santiago-San Francisco-Bonao. In that triangle there is a very strong manufacturing base, mostly export oriented Free Trade Zones. Mining is very strong here as well, almost completely in Bonao and almost completely export oriented. Agriculture is dominated by the export oriented tobacco plantations around Santiago and the cacao plantations scattered all over the places, especially near the mountains. Other agricultural activities are focused on the local market as is the case with the banana/platano plantations, the strawberries, lettuce, apples, and other non-traditional farms in Constanza, the rice farms in the vicinity of San Francisco, etc. Also, the cattle, pigs, and poultry sectors are overwhelmingly focused on the local market. The export oriented tourism industries are focused in the Puerto Plata-Sosua area, as should be well known with everyone in this website and Samana is on the verge of taking off. Commerce is very strong, mostly concentrated in Santiago. That's pretty much it.

Then there is the Valdesia region with is the Santo Domingo metro area and that is the only part of the country where manufacturing dominates, followed by commerce. Much of the manufacturing is export oriented (especially the Free Trade Zones, metallurgical, and cement industries), but a higher proportion of the manufacturing sector here is focused on the local economy such as the processing of foodstuffs and manufacturing of locally consumed products like toothpastes, shampoo, soap, detergents, etc). Commerce is the strongest here than anywhere else in the country and its locally maintained. Agriculture is not very important, mostly limited to sugar production on the edges of the metropolis.

In a nutshell, that's the Dominican economy. As can be seen, its mostly export oriented.

However, here is where the dynamic of the Dominican economy comes into play.

The Dominican economy has been export oriented since the island was discovered by Columbus. For the first time in the history of the country, a parallel economy focused on the local market began to develop as a new middle class emerged in the 1970s.

Hence, from the 1970s onward, the local market began to develop to such proportions that it formed an ever larger share of the economy as a whole.

In the 1980s this processed slowed a little due to the effects of the global crisis, but in the 1990s it took off. More businesses oriented on the local economy began to appear in the mid to late 1990s than ever in the history of the country. The fast growth of the middle class created a sizable local market that emulated the high consumption lifestyle prevalent in the U.S. and Europe. This market became so large that while its demands were being satisfied via importation, a good number of locally established businesses began to focus on cost-cutting practices to tailor to the local middle class. This is when large discount chain stores like La Sirena, Jumbo, Plaza Lama, etc. began to vigorously expand, first in Santo Domingo and as the middle class grew in other locales, the expanded to Santiago, San Francisco, La Romana, San Pedro, and now even Puerto Plata is getting in the action with its own La Sirena under construction.

And that's where the dynamism of the Dominican economy comes from.

This is an economy that is not only growing at its export-oriented level, but its also growing at its local-oriented level as well and nowhere else in the Caribbean or Central America, for that matter, has such growth at both levels have been as strong and sustained over such long periods of times as it has in the DR.

You can search left or right anywhere in the region to see the dynamism that is seen in the Dominican economy and quite frankly, you will not find it.

And now we have an interesting panorama that is unfolding at this very moment. The world is in a crisis and for the first time in the history of the world, its not dragging the DR down with it. Sure, things are a little slower than maybe a year ago, but the country is doing better than most other countries in Latin America right now and that is due to its dynamism.

-NALs

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
NALS: much appreciated analysis. But you never mentioned remittances, which I understand is the #2 hard currency producer the DR has, behind tourism (maybe I'm wrong). Seems to me that remittances are a form of "foreign aid", although not from an official organized gubmint.

I recall the amount is somewhere around $3 billion annually, which is around 42+% of the budget of the DR. That, my friend is substantial. And if the remittances slow down, the DR economy suffers greatly.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Something not mentioned for exporters in the free zones is factoring of invoices. I know of at least one large company that uses factoring agreements for u.s. clients that has had its cash flow situation severely impacted due to tightening of credit/reduction of risk by factors.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
NALS - I second that - well put, articulate and easy to understand. I like the way you divided by area.

While I do see how things are affecting us in the POP area, I am quite optimistic!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS: much appreciated analysis. But you never mentioned remittances, which I understand is the #2 hard currency producer the DR has, behind tourism (maybe I'm wrong). Seems to me that remittances are a form of "foreign aid", although not from an official organized gubmint.

I recall the amount is somewhere around $3 billion annually, which is around 42+% of the budget of the DR. That, my friend is substantial. And if the remittances slow down, the DR economy suffers greatly.
It would have a tremendous effect on the informal sector which due to its nature doesn't appear in official economic data, but not so much on the formal sector. The sector that I was referring to above was the formal sector.

According to a study done by Bendixen in 2004 concerning remittances in the DR, 17% is spent on education, 5% on savings, 5% is invested in business ventures (a good number within the informal sector), 4% in properties, and a whopping 60% in consumption.

The 60% of remittances that is spent on consumption overwhelmingly corresponds to the informal sector and most of it goes on the purchase of food. Given the socio-economic level of most remittance receiving households (they tend to be low and lower middle class); they get most of their foodstuffs from informal colmados rather than the formal supermarkets. Despite colmados having the widest distribution network in the country, penetrating even the most remote places on the island; they carry a very narrow selection of products and have high transaction costs due to pervasive inefficient practices within such informal sector. In addition, the one's who do eat out overwhelmingly do so at informal restaurants than in formal restaurants, they entertain themselves in informal clubs/discos/etc. than in formal one's, they conduct most of their business with informal [insert any business that is an all cash operation and receipts/accounting practices are not used at all]. All of this doesn't appear on official economic data for obvious reasons.

The growth in the locally focused sector of the economy that I was referring in my previous post was the formal sector which is geared towards the sector of Dominican society that doesn't depend on remittances. Most customers in JUMBO, Supermercado Nacional, the fast food chains, are not consumers who receive remittances. Hence, most formal sub-sectors of the economy are not overwhelmingly dependent on remittances.

Most remittance receiving families don't own a vehicle, hence the automotive industry is not overwhelmingly dependent on remittances.

So yes, a decrease in remittances would affect the informal sector but it will not affect the formal sector to the same degree.

The exception to this rule could be parts of the telecommunications industry, particularly the cellphone division since a large number of their customers are of low and lower middle class background, hence a higher dependence on remittance receiving families might exist in this sector.

But, overall the formal sector is not sustained through remittances. A severe decrease in remittances would be a significant blow to the informal sector, but such blow would not really appear in official data since such sector is not documented at the micro level, and certainly not at the macro level either. The government doesn't receive taxes from these businesses, so tax collection would not be affected as much if remittances were to decrease.

Another aspect that needs to be taken into account is that the preferred transfer of remittances from the U.S. to the DR is not through financial institutions, but rather through informal means. Most Dominicans receive their remittances via family members traveling to the DR and smuggling the extra cash without declaring it upon entering the country.

This is completely different from the effects direct foreign investment and other hard currency producing sectors have on the formal economy of which I was referring to.

Thus, the Dominican economy (err, formal economy - the one that appears in official data) is the most dynamic in the region.

-NALs

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Nals, it really doesn't matter if it's "formal or informal". US$2billion is a HUGE amount of cash inflow, second only to tourism. That cash is spread around into all other areas of the economy: energy, communications, petro, transportation and consumer.

It is a major inport, and one that needs to be recognized in every anaysis of the Dominican economy. Without it, the DR economy slows to a crawl, and ~every~ citizen suffer.

True, it doesn't appear in the "formal" stats, and that is because it cannot be tracked. But that does NOT mean it wouldn't have a material impact on official stats.