For sale a working restaurant in puerto plata

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
How much is your monthly profit on this?

probably not much ....hence the need to sell in order to "leave the country" and go back to the first world to rebuild up the reserves.

a fairly typical story here

May 29, 2006
How much is your monthly profit on this?

I wouldn't expect anyone to give out any numbers online. Also, "profit" can be very arbitrary if it's owner-operated. Is he writing himself paychecks as part of the business costs? Is he working full-time, part time, 80 hours a week?

There are many variables that aren't clear to me. Can the place have all of the equipment/fixtures sold off as the ad seems to imply, or is any of it owned by the landlord? A pool table takes up a lot of space, is it free or coin operated? What about recipes, food cost percentages, break even points? Are there trained cooks to take over for him?

Sooner or later, all this has to be made clear to any potential buyer, especially if they want to gut the place and start fresh with new equipment and menu. I wouldn't expect him to post any of this online, but I'd want to know if he has paperwork for his taxes, receipts from vendors, complete itemized inventory with values, gas/electric bills, yadda yadda yadda. In other words, something that a buyer could use as a foundation for a new business plan. If he does his homework and he's done well, I'd expect he could get more than he's asking and sell it sooner rather than later. Now is not the time to play I've Got a Secret.

patrikim

May 5, 2004
sorry, malibook, my bad.... just answered yours, and a bunch of other pm's, sorry guys, for being late, Dominican bad habit....

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
proprietary information about a business for sale is not usually divulged until at least good faith interest is established by a qualified potential buyer... maybe even a L.O.I. for some info. It certainly isn't going to be broadcast on the internet. The info stated is about all one could expect to be advertised.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Having been in that business for a few years, I can say the price he's asking is very, very reasonable for the asset collection.

The location may be another matter, however.

But in general it might be worth someone giving it a go if they had prior real F&B experience (I just don't see much profit in liquor in the DR...)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
whoehaaaaa, rolling on the floor...

sorry, the last comment just made me want to puke...

OK, went to the restaurant in question, and was not very impressed. The shoarma was under-seasoned, tasteless, and the sauce to go with it lacked taste.

This is only my impression, as the place was quite busy when I went there.

Prices and service were more than ok for me...

May 29, 2006
If the price, service and business were good, then $10,000 sounds like a great deal. If you think quality has anything to do with the bottom line, you haven't eaten at Applebee's or Chili's...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If the price, service and business were good, then $10,000 sounds like a great deal. If you think quality has anything to do with the bottom line, you haven't eaten at Applebee's or Chili's...

This might be the case, but I will not be returning to the restaurant for sale either...

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Wow, I had no idea there was a schwarma place in Puerto Plata. Just the other day I was thinking it's crazy that there isn't a good schwarma spot on the north coast. Do you have beef schwarma? kefta? To any prospective buyers, you'll probably be able to make rent on my business alone if the schwarma is good!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Obviously people don't understand how businesses are sold. I'm a veteran of that rodeo many times over, including the purchase and sale of a restaurant/bar in Largo FL that several DR1ers have gone to in a former life.

I got ~zero~ impression the ONGOING BUSINESS is for sale. The ASSETS are for sale. A purchaser can make a sushi bar or wing and burger joint utilizing the ASSETS.

The OP makes no mention of cash flows, payrolls, food costs or any other Income Statement item. He mentions no Goodwill, a Balance Sheet item.

So those 'MBA's in Economics" who are laughing once again clearly demonstrate they have no clue of business when offering their opinion.

Ten large ain't SQUAT when opening even a skim ice cart. And $400 rent is VERY low for a corner location in a decent size town.

It could be a decent retirement hobby for someone with a small clue, a meager stash and a couple of brass ones...

May 29, 2006
It could be a decent retirement hobby for someone with a small clue, a meager stash and a couple of brass ones...

Or more likely, for a semi-retired Canadian couple with zero business/restaurant experience, who "fell in love with the island" on a week-long vacation and thought that owning their own restaurant would be "fun."

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Or more likely, for a semi-retired Canadian couple with zero business/restaurant experience, who "fell in love with the island" on a week-long vacation and thought that owning their own restaurant would be "fun."

or, a great location for a midday , plato del dia operation. not so great at night, because it is close to a pretty rough barrio. somebody can make it work...i just do not know who.

May 29, 2006
Or better yet, rethink the location for some other kind of business... You can never have enough salons after all :)

patrikim

May 5, 2004
Wow, I had no idea there was a schwarma place in Puerto Plata. Just the other day I was thinking it's crazy that there isn't a good schwarma spot on the north coast. Do you have beef schwarma? kefta? To any prospective buyers, you'll probably be able to make rent on my business alone if the schwarma is good!

kefta yes, beef shawarma no - chicken only, hoummus yes, tzaziki sauce yes, tahini sauce yes, home made pickles too....

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I came out to Yasmin grill a few days ago and met Patrikm, he's a great guy and the food is awesome. The place has quite a decent lunch crowd for a Monday afternoon and if I was in the market for a restaurant on the north coast, I would definitely try to negotiate a deal with him, it's undoubtedly a great location and a good niche to be in.