Jagua

Dec 26, 2011
I've been around RD and Dominicans for over twenty years. Was blessed with an ex that made amazing flan de leche(I don't even like sweets), arroz con guandules, berengena guisada, etc. Love all the fruits and juices. Thought I'd had them all.

For the first time ever, I saw jagua written on a board as one of the juice offerings at a spot in Hig?ey. Didn't think anything of it. Had no idea what it was. A few days later the gf is getting us some empanadas in Ver?n and brings back a juice. I was hoping for chinola or something like that. It tasted like burnt plastic or motor oil. Her SIL matter-of-factly says, "Yeah. That's what jagua tastes like". LOL. I gave it another try to no avail. Why would anyone drink that?

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
I've been around RD and Dominicans for over twenty years. Was blessed with an ex that made amazing flan de leche(I don't even like sweets), arroz con guandules, berengena guisada, etc. Love all the fruits and juices. Thought I'd had them all.

For the first time ever, I saw jagua written on a board as one of the juice offerings at a spot in Hig?ey. Didn't think anything of it. Had no idea what it was. A few days later the gf is getting us some empanadas in Ver?n and brings back a juice. I was hoping for chinola or something like that. It tasted like burnt plastic or motor oil. Her SIL matter-of-factly says, "Yeah. That's what jagua tastes like". LOL. I gave it another try to no avail. Why would anyone drink that?

LOL! i agree. Jagua is a strange tasting fruit. My parents love them. However, the tea made from that fruit mixed with ginger, chamomile, even orange sweetend with Honey is grrrrreat!!. Have you seen Dulce de jagua? I dont like them.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
jagua5.JPG

Dec 26, 2011
LOL! i agree. Jagua is a strange tasting fruit. My parents love them. However, the tea made from that fruit mixed with ginger, chamomile, even orange sweetend with Honey is grrrrreat!!. Have you seen Dulce de jagua? I dont like them.

This is what my gf's mom said when we got home. That the tea is very good.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I love it!Just last week I bought two jaguas in La Sirena.Washed and cut them into fourths, put them in a pitcher with cold water and left in fridge for a few days.The longer it sits the stronger the flavor.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I also make tea de jagua and I've made dulce too.It's a popular fruit among Dominicans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on the outside it looks a bit like zapote, no? zapote is seriously gross. in all frankness i ain't a huge fan of tropical fruits. by and large a tropical fruit does not wish to be eaten: there is always a thick skin, big and/or spiky stone, inedible seeds and other issues. tropical fruits just don't like us, really :)

Dec 26, 2011
on the outside it looks a bit like zapote, no? zapote is seriously gross. in all frankness i ain't a huge fan of tropical fruits. by and large a tropical fruit does not wish to be eaten: there is always a thick skin, big and/or spiky stone, inedible seeds and other issues. tropical fruits just don't like us, really :)

I like zapote. Guan?bana. Mango. Guayaba. Lechosa. Tamarindo. Chinola. Just found this stuff to be horrible. Traumatizing, even. :)

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
I tell you a secret... add a blessing of vanilla to the cinnamon and ginger for your tea. I know, I know, de nada!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I tried it once, and it does what my mother-in-law claimed it would. It cleans you out. I didn't find it terrible but there are so many better choices that actually taste good.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
For gross smelling tropical fruit durian wins going away. The taste isn't bad but the aroma is nasty.

Sign forbidding durians on Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit

170px-Singapore_MRT_Fines.jpg