good stuff happens

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you'd be surprised. brugal, barcelo and presidente all recycle their bottles. they ever recycle taps and loose glass (broken bottles). it's a big business.

Sep 4, 2012
you'd be surprised. brugal, barcelo and presidente all recycle their bottles. they ever recycle taps and loose glass (broken bottles). it's a big business.

Not empowered enough, if it was, there will not be that many plastic and glass bottles everywhere as litter across the country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not all bottles are recyclable, in a sense that not all would be bought by botelleros who then sell to the companies. presidente recycles more or less 75% of all their bottles, this is a large number.

but yes, you are correct, there is plenty of trash everywhere. and it's sad because this trash is treasure. many folks live off collecting bottles, jars, cans and so on. many more could. but they rather beg or steal. easier money.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
In the residencial where i live theres a recycle bin at the entry of it for papers and plastic

One of the few place i see people recycling... Its full every week!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
i SAW THE HEADLINE IN YESTERDAY'S "DIARIO LIBRE".
It said:,"Botellas Por Mascotas".
I thought, "How Wierd"???????
They really don't need "Mascotas",..."Pets"!
Then I remembered, "Mascota=Cuaderno".
I agree, "It's A Start"!
Super Mercados National, "TRIED" to recycle the long life milk cartons/juice boxes, a few years ago.
They had special containers in their parking lots to collect the boxes.
Clearly Marked, "For Recycle of Milk/Juice Containers ONLY"!!!!!!
Do I really need to tell anyone how THAT idea turned out???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
All they need is to reach a tipping point. Good on everyone involved in promoting literacy and curiosity.

My gf just started teaching her mother to read. I couldn't be prouder.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dominicans will recycle the same day they all pay for electricity. Not holding your breath, are you?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not empowered enough, if it was, there will not be that many plastic and glass bottles everywhere as litter across the country.

Lots of little old men, and women picking up beer and rum bottles every morning from the streets in Jarabacoa. Now if they would just recycle all plastic.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A deposit on glass and plastic bottles would kick-start recycling in a major way...

Dec 26, 2011
I was talking about recycling with my friends yesterday. There's a ton of recycling that happens on a daily basis. It just hasn't evolved down to a personal level.. .yet.

My gf's cousin was saying there was actually a website that showed, in years, the atraso of RD behind the US on social issues. In other words, they'll catch up, it just takes a little while longer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, why all this negativity? ;)

JD is correct, recycling happens in DR on daily basis and massive operations are involved. machines used in recycling process can be very costly too yet companies invest in them. if you have ever seen a rubbish truck you will know what i mean: there are huge bags of goodies like plastic, metal and glass piled on the top and to the side.

the problem is, indeed, that there is no recycling on a personal level. this is why this action of notebooks for rubbish is so important. dominicans need to know there is money to be made of that stuff, that it's worth something. it would be great to see recycling points in every city where one could drop plastic or cardboard/paper at a small fee. even it it would be 1 peso per pound. the quantity of trash is so huge people could make a living out of that. granted, it would be very little money but at least it would be honest money. with the current level of unemployment it would still help...

my dad, back home, is a pensioner. he's one of those old dudes who cannot sit still. so to fill his day he does dumpster diving. every morning he leaves home with his bicycle and checks several rubbish bins, collecting cans and other metals he can find. once every week he takes it to the metalera and sells it. he gets little money but it's enough to buy some beer and plants for my parent's garden. now, if dominicans could be the same way...