DR1 Skype users

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, great stuff... I use it a lot (with a different pseudo...)

However, I find GoogleTalk more performant...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm on Skype under my real name, if anyone wants to contact me that way please send me a PM for the exact ID.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hlywud said:
Anyone using this service, I cant seem to find anyone on a search

hlywud
I use it mostly for my LD phones calls (SkypeOut). Better and cheaper than Net2Phone.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
why isn't anyone using www.voipbuster.com? you just add 10 euros and call free USA all you want and your 10 euros stay intact forever. To call canada, UK etc is only 1 cent / minute. This is almost free and the sound quality is like regular phone. Just ask the people whom I call, they can't tell a differance. There are 15 countries that you can dial for free (land lines, mostly europe).
Argentina
Austria
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United States

click here to see all rates:

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/rates.html

enjoy.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I agree AZB, the quality is excellent and sounds like a regular phone.

It even filters out Aftab's accent making him sound like a regular American :laugh:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
ok wud I have downloaded Skype so add me to it.

Got a chance to talk to chiri and it sounds excellent

I couldn't download the other one that AZB uses because I'm behind the times and still have windows 98 ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
is the fact that skype uses your processor and bandwidth to 'facilitate' communication between skype users a concern????
Should it be????
I don't like the thought of anyone accessing my processor and I don't have much bandwidth on dial-up!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
AZB said:
why isn't anyone using www.voipbuster.com? you just add 10 euros and call free USA all you want and your 10 euros stay intact forever. To call canada, UK etc is only 1 cent / minute. This is almost free and the sound quality is like regular phone. Just ask the people whom I call, they can't tell a differance...
United States

... click here to see all rates:

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/rates.html

enjoy.
AZB

I have tried voipbuster but I don't get it to work. I went on their "Forum" and discovered that while it seems to work for many, it doesn't work for many others in the same wame it fails for me.
Interestingly my skype works.
I think it is a matter of time until they'll get it working smoothtly for everyone...

Skype seems to push into the market much agressively. Here in Spain, they offer Skype-phones and dual-phones (ones you can use for both, nomal phone calls and skype calls) in large supermarkets!

... J-D.

MommC said:
is the fact that skype uses your processor and bandwidth to 'facilitate' communication between skype users a concern????
Should it be????
I don't like the thought of anyone accessing my processor and I don't have much bandwidth on dial-up!

Everything acesses your processor and use bandwidth, no different than man messenger it uses nadwidth also, by the way so does DR1.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
yes.....but.....

DR1 doesn't access my computer while skype will!
Big difference......I'm not sure I want my computer to become a 'server' on the skype network!

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Chirimoya said:
You can't use skype with dial-up, you need broadband.

I used skype with dialup. It worked, but with a noticeable delay.

My favorite Skype feature is that I can forward my Skype calls to my cell phone.

Skypin' 2.0...........

I'm curious about this voipbuster though... hmm....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well I know I'm pretty computer illiterate.....

but reading the user agreement it seems to be telling me that when I'm online my computer becomes a cog in the wheel that is skype.
Since I don't have a server type firewall I don't think I want to route calls for skype customers through my computer.....
Those out there who are technically talented please correct me if I'm wrong 'cause my genius in these matters is too busy with work right now to check it out for me....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, I do

Chirimoya said:
You can't use skype with dial-up, you need broadband.

While I think that DSL would be better (but don't ahve it in my region), I use spype with dial up and it works OK (comp to comp and comp tu line) and sometimes I get logged on to IP at 46.6 only.

... J-D.