Certificate of Citizenship : USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
Today, my sister and I got our certificates of citizenship (thanks to the Child Citizenship Act). We came here before we were a year old and have been here as LPRs for all that time; our parents are citizens so they filed for us. Anyway, today, as they ran the procedure, they asked my sister questions. They had her read an oath, and they merely had me sign things. I wanted to know whether this procedure was standard. We were both in the same room since we were considered a unit for purposes of this interview. As soon as my sister read the pledge (well and correctly), the lady said all I had to do was sign things-- no reading necessary. So I ask: is this standard?? If so, why?? If not, why did this happen??

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
:(

Welcome to a world of Eternal tax payment!!!
You are now property of the US of A... You will be called upon to serve your country if there is a draft (more then likely...). The USA is not only privileges , but also heavy responsabilities!
Your parents where very wise to wait until you where old enough to make that decision for yourselves. I sincerely hope you and your sister have tought this carefully.

Best of luck...

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
As an LPR, I have always had to pay taxes. We both decided we wanted to do it because we want to be eligible to volunteer for the PeaceCorps and federal jobs. Although, granted, once people realize the American economy (we can't forever be blind to a 7 trillion dollar deficit) has gone to crap, our citizenship here will be worth nothing and we'd be better off staying in the countries we service. Fortunately, we're fluent in three languages (Spanish, French, English) so settling abroad won't be much of a problem.

Thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Our Citizenship Will Be Worth Nothing"??????????????

If your US Citizenship will be "Worth Nothing" as you stated,why is it important to you weather or not you got to say "The Oath"????
Sounds like you ONLY did it for financial reasons anyway!!!
Since you speak so "many" languages,you should leave the USA before it's "imminent financial collapse" !
FRANCE would be a great Country for you!!
"Bon Voyage"!!!!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

C

Chip00

As an LPR, I have always had to pay taxes. We both decided we wanted to do it because we want to be eligible to volunteer for the PeaceCorps and federal jobs. Although, granted, once people realize the American economy (we can't forever be blind to a 7 trillion dollar deficit) has gone to crap, our citizenship here will be worth nothing and we'd be better off staying in the countries we service. Fortunately, we're fluent in three languages (Spanish, French, English) so settling abroad won't be much of a problem.

Thanks!

You might want to reconsider you're understanding of English as being "fluent" if you have somehow garnered that the US will fail anytime soon due to it's deficit - that or see your doctor to check for early signs of psychosis!

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
It wasn't purely for financial reasons; I was genuinely interested in being an American citizen. It was a personal decision, and I thought it out thoroughly. I want to be able to vote in the country I've lived my entire life, I want to feel like a member of the community, not be a superficial one, so to speak. Umm, and yes, my English is fluent. I don't really need criticisms at this point since the point of the thread was not to discuss my linguistic abilities. I just asked a simple question, was criticized, and I am now feeling the ramifications. Deficits can cause problems in an economy, whether or not you fail to acknowledge it. I'm an economics/sociology major at a top college, and we can thoroughly acknowledge how our economy is faltering due to the trade deficit. Obviously, the results won't be immediate, but they are looming. I enjoy living in the U.S., I like feeling like I'm contributing to some political structure, and I like that I finally have a place that I can call home and that can be home for me. So, in short, thanks for your criticisms, but all I was asking was why they didn't have me say the oath. I wasn't asking to be scolded by random people online...

C

Chip00

It wasn't purely for financial reasons; I was genuinely interested in being an American citizen. It was a personal decision, and I thought it out thoroughly. I want to be able to vote in the country I've lived my entire life, I want to feel like a member of the community, not be a superficial one, so to speak. Umm, and yes, my English is fluent. I don't really need criticisms at this point since the point of the thread was not to discuss my linguistic abilities. I just asked a simple question, was criticized, and I am now feeling the ramifications. Deficits can cause problems in an economy, whether or not you fail to acknowledge it. I'm an economics/sociology major at a top college, and we can thoroughly acknowledge how our economy is faltering due to the trade deficit. Obviously, the results won't be immediate, but they are looming. I enjoy living in the U.S., I like feeling like I'm contributing to some political structure, and I like that I finally have a place that I can call home and that can be home for me. So, in short, thanks for your criticisms, but all I was asking was why they didn't have me say the oath. I wasn't asking to be scolded by random people online...

No offense but don't you feel the following statement might be remotely found offensive by the Americans on this forum?:

has gone to crap, our citizenship here will be worth nothing and we'd be better off staying in the countries we service

Why is your crticism ok and anyone else's not? As an American you are obviously versed in vocalizing your opinions and criticisms so why do you think nobody else has that right?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
solamentetu, This is a Dominican Republic Board. It possibly is not the correct place to ask whether a US Citizenship ceremony is standard or not. And yes, you're getting a raw deal on the board, but then again, it is also not the place to discuss US fiscal policies and deficit.

I agree, you spoke your words in a non-insulting manner.

C

Chip00

solamentetu, This is a Dominican Republic Board. It possibly is not the correct place to ask whether a US Citizenship ceremony is standard or not. And yes, you're getting a raw deal on the board, but then again, it is also not the place to discuss US fiscal policies and deficit.

I agree, you spoke your words in a non-insulting manner.[/QUOTE]

From you're perspective Chris, however from an American's point of view what the OP stated would be found offensive by many.

I also agree that the OP should be posting their views on some other forum -this isn't Web hosting, domain name registration and web services by 1&1 Internet.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Chip00, I'm American and I agree with Chris' assessment. I also agree with solamentetu, the USA's multi-trillion dollar deficit is not sustainable ad infinitum and it will bite *us* Americans in the butt sooner or later. This type of economic suicide should not be tolerated (excused, casually dismissed) and needs lobbying against.

The Americans on this board give the Dominicans here this same dosage of criticism every day of the year. If Dominicans respond the way that you have, they're singled out as being dreamers. Are you a dreamer? ;) :bunny:

NotLurking

I agree, you spoke your words in a non-insulting manner.

From you're perspective Chris, however from an American's point of view what the OP stated would be found offensive by many.

I also agree that the OP should be posting their views on some other forum -this isn't Web hosting, domain name registration and web services by 1&1 Internet.

C

Chip00

Chip00, I'm American and I agree with Chris' assessment. I also agree with solamentetu, the USA's multi-trillion dollar deficit is not sustainable ad infinitum and it will bite *us* Americans in the butt sooner or later. This type of economic suicide should not be tolerated (excused, casually dismissed) and needs lobbying against.

The Americans on this board give the Dominicans here this same dosage of criticism every day of the year. If Dominicans respond the way that you have, they're singled out as being dreamers. Are you a dreamer? ;) :bunny:

NotLurking

You made a couple of good points, no place on God's green Earth is perfect and without fault, the US included.

However to say that the statement American economy (we can't forever be blind to a 7 trillion dollar deficit) has gone to crap, our citizenship here will be worth nothing and we'd be better off staying in the countries we service. would be found unoffensive to many Americans would be a lie. You, although a citizen, nor any foreigner have the right to speak on behalf of Americans who would find this offensive - sorry.

Also, as far as the US imploding becasue of the defecit, sure you have your opinion that it is immenent but I, on the other hand, have reality on my side when I tell you there are few if none reputable economic indicators or otherwise that this will happen soon.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chip, for heaven's sake. You're way off topic and you're dealing way too harshly with a student, young poster and young person trying out his views. Goodness gracious, who put you in charge of defending the fed or the deficit?

Did my gentle reminder that this is not the place for those dicussions escape you?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Accept "Solomente's" Mea Culpa"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since "Absolutely NOTHING" gets by the "DR1 Thought Police" (Of which I consider myselt a Founding/Charter Member!!!) ,her original comment about the failure of the US economy,was "pounced upon"! Her more insightful explanation sure makes me wish to welcome her to being a "FULL MEMBER" of that exclusive club,A US Citizen! Not too many countries where people risk their lives daily just for a chance to "get in"!
"Congratulations"
I by no means agree with what all US citizen do,or choose to think,but I will put my life on the line to defend their right to do,and think, as they please!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
You made a couple of good points, no place on God's green Earth is perfect and without fault, the US included.

However to say that the statement American economy (we can't forever be blind to a 7 trillion dollar deficit) has gone to crap, our citizenship here will be worth nothing and we'd be better off staying in the countries we service. would be found unoffensive to many Americans would be a lie. You, although a citizen, nor any foreigner have the right to speak on behalf of Americans who would find this offensive - sorry.

Chip00, I only agreed with solamentetu's remarks about the deficit which I and many other Americans HAVE TO PAY! I think that gives me the right to speak on this issue whether you like it or not, you approve of it or not or you think it is offensive or not! Also, what exactly gives you the right to speak on behalf of a group of Americans that automatically disqualifies me from speaking on behalf of the same group?

Also, as far as the US imploding becasue of the defecit, sure you have your opinion that it is immenent but I, on the other hand, have reality on my side when I tell you there are few if none reputable economic indicators or otherwise that this will happen soon.

Please, Chip00, don't put words into my mouth! I did not imply economic implosion. I did however state "the USA's multi-trillion dollar deficit is not sustainable ad infinitum", meaning that the US government needs to change it's current practice (policies). I also said "...it will bite *us* Americans in the butt sooner or later. This type of economic suicide should not be tolerated..." but again this is not implying implosion. If you didn't know, the current USA deficit is ~8.8 trillion dollars. The US population is ~300 million that makes every American share of the debt ~US$29,000; a debt that is biting EVERY American in the butt RIGHT NOW for sure!!! While you have your reality and I my opinions think about this: the average per hour minimum wage is US$6.00.

29,000/6 = 4,833 hours of work by the poorest Americans to pay for their share of the deficit. That's equivalent 120 weeks of 40 hours or 2.3 years of FREE work. Of course, this is a sustainable economic practice in your reality. Are you so wrapped up in your pipe dream that you can't see the problem in this?

NotLurking

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So, in short, thanks for your criticisms, but all I was asking was why they didn't have me say the oath. I wasn't asking to be scolded by random people online...

You'll soon discover that the term " freedom of speech" has also gone to crap if you don't see the country as 100% perfection :laugh:

You now have every right to have opinions as a citizen of your new country. Good for you for speaking out maybe you see things that others are blind to!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Today, my sister and I got our certificates of citizenship (thanks to the Child Citizenship Act). We came here before we were a year old and have been here as LPRs for all that time; our parents are citizens so they filed for us. Anyway, today, as they ran the procedure, they asked my sister questions. They had her read an oath, and they merely had me sign things. I wanted to know whether this procedure was standard. We were both in the same room since we were considered a unit for purposes of this interview. As soon as my sister read the pledge (well and correctly), the lady said all I had to do was sign things-- no reading necessary. So I ask: is this standard?? If so, why?? If not, why did this happen??

Congratulations! I'm delighted for you that you achieved what you wanted. Personally for me it'd be the third to last country in the world which I'd want citizenship of but we're all different, we all have different aspirations and we all should have the opportunity to pursue them.

Now as to your question: I think you've already answered it. You said they considered you & your sister as 'a unit' even though, presumably you are not conjoined at the hip :) . 'A unit' I suppose needs but one voice. I think it's a shame if you were eagerly anticipating this great moment for you and you got met with a bureaucratic type response. My country of origin, the UK, also excels in bureaucratc type responses adminstered by minions with miniscule cerebral matter. It must have been a let down for you because obviously the moment had a significance for you which in a sense you've been cheated of. Why not ask if you can go back and retake the oath this time vocally? If they say no, try getting a few patriotic newspapers on your side? If there are any which run 'loyal citizen' type columns, write to them or a local TV channel. Ask if you can read the oath on a community type TV programme. It's a nice story in an age of US policy bashing so go for it! Then it will be recorded for posterity as well as for the minions with the miniscule cerebral matter. Should get someone's attention..................;)

Moderator, sorry if this isn't DR related but I wanted to give the poster some positive suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.