Bringing Pesos Into The Country

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
How much money in DR$ is one allowed to bring into the country without declaring it?

Janin

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am fairly sure you can carry up to USD$9,999 worth.This is a nice private place to discuss your laundry.

good luck!

Last edited:

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Where to look?

I have not been able to find the Central Bank regulation for my question.
Can anybody help?

Janin

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Front of Customs form asks you to declare if you are carrying more than US$10,000 in currency or monetary documents.

customs_form_front.jpg

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Does not apply.

Front of Customs form asks you to declare if you are carrying more than US$10,000 in currency or monetary documents.
I am afraid # 13 of the said form refers to US money and/or any form of that currency.
My question is about Dominican Pesos and the limit of this local currency to bring into the country.

Janin

A

apostropheman

it certainly DOES apply

in fact you'll see, if you read it more closely, that it says "(In any kind of currency or legal monetary document)" meaning the equivalent of $10k USD regardless of the currency or instrument. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
I am afraid # 13 of the said form refers to US money and/or any form of that currency.
My question is about Dominican Pesos and the limit of this local currency to bring into the country.

Janin

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Can you read Spanish or English?

It clearly states in Spanish as well as in English, "In any kind of currency or legal monetary document".

RD Pesos are included as a "currency".

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Doubts

It clearly states in Spanish as well as in English, "In any kind of currency or legal monetary document".
RD Pesos are included as a "currency".

My prevailing doubts are based on an information given by a German bank in which it says that local currency can only be brought into the country up to 20,000 RD$, higher amounts would have to be declared.
Although English is not my first language I still think the wording in the form leaves room for interpretation as #13 refers to the US currency in its title.

It would not surprise me if Dominican Customs had their very own version of the sentence.... :tired:

Janin

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you have the documented origin of the funds and are not trying to avoid taxation, try a unique approach called the FEDERAL WIRE SYSTEM, works real well.

I assume you realize you run the risk of your cash being confiscated on either end of your trip by DNCD and/or DEA.

Here is more documentation on $10,000 rule.
Customs FAQ

This is US policy which RD authorities use as guidelines.

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

Janin,

apparently you don't actually wish to hear the answer to you question, unless it is the same as your preconceived and incorrect opinion.

the form is quite clear and, for example, happens to concur with current US policy as well....but free to do your thing! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
20,000 Rd$ ?

Janin, apparently you don't actually wish to hear the answer to you question, unless it is the same as your preconceived and incorrect opinion.
I am quite eager to hear the answer to my simple question and it's quite amusing what people read into it... :cheeky:

the form is quite clear and, for example, happens to concur with current US policy as well....but free to do your thing! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
As far as I know current US policy does not regulate the import of Dominican currency into the Dominican Republic.

In the meanwhile, however, I found this:
Dominican Republic Peso, Currency of the DR, DOP

Unfortunately the information does not supply a link to the relating Dominican regulation / law.

Janin

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Actually, I'd say Janin is being very smart... I take no offense at having my response questioned. If you've lived in DR long enough, you learn to ask questions & doubt the answers.

Logic tends to go out the window the closer you get to 69?56' W and 18?30' N :bunny:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am quite eager to hear the answer to my simple question and it's quite amusing what people read into it... :cheeky:

As far as I know current US policy does not regulate the import of Dominican currency into the Dominican Republic.

Unfortunately the information does not supply a link to the relating Dominican regulation / law.

Janin
Maybe I got lost somewhere along the way, but does that DR customs form not say that $10K US or equivalent value or more, has to be declared?
Is the question not answered?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Actually, I'd say Janin is being very smart... I take no offense at having my response questioned. If you've lived in DR long enough, you learn to ask questions & doubt the answers.

Logic tends to go out the window the closer you get to 69?56' W and 18?30' N :bunny:
I read you loud & clear, but the question is not about whether some customs official is going to mess with him, and try to scam some money out of him, or whatever.
The question is, what is the legal amount allowed.

A

apostropheman

fair enough Janin.

there may well be more to this than it appears.
i concede that things in the DR do operate differently and sometimes with no rhyme or reason :cheeky:

Countries may each have specific regulations regarding currency declaration. in the US it is 10k USD, in Canada it is 10k CAD Cross Border Currency Reporting
so possibly the DR limits the amount of their actual currency.

please let us know. i'll be waiting to see what you find out.

Janin

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
fair enough Janin.

there may well be more to this than it appears.
i concede that things in the DR do operate differently and sometimes with no rhyme or reason :cheeky:

i'll be waiting to see what you find out.
Boy, do I feel dumb.
I mean even dumber than usual.
I can't even start to see what it is you guys are talking about.
It seems clear cut to me, but I'll sit back, shut up and learn, as you guys figure it out and explain it to me.