A question for the expat sages of DR1

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Rocky, Don Hillbilly, m_frog, and all others included.

First impressions.

What were your first impressions of the Dominican Republic, before DR1 gave you a forum to share? What motivated you to "change places" as you did? For some reason, perhaps because I read most all of you as passionate, intelligent, wise and sincere, I would be interested in hearing what drew you all to relocate to the RD. Any memories to share?

I was going to attempt to track each one of you down and ask the question more personably over a cold Presidente but thought better of the idea after considering time and financial restraints.:cheeky:

Respectfully,
Sollie

( Hope this doesn't get moved to DR DEBATES )

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I think that's an excellent question Sollie..
I also look forward to reading the answers...it should be insightful and intresting... :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Sollie,
I'm not sure that I even belong in the same classroom as HB, but that being said, I do have my story of why I moved here, but it's not what you might be looking for, as my circumstances were a bit unusual, in that the previous year I had been sent home from the hospital to die, at which point I was regretting not having lived my dream of living in the tropics.
Clearly I didn't die, so the following year I decided to do it, looked through my world atlas with my girlfriend, who had once come to the DR on vacation and liked it, and I had heard good things too, so we moved here.
It was not an educated informed decision.
I just didn't really care, as long as I got away from the horrendous northern cold and all it's stupid society controls. ( What I perceive as robotic living).
So... unfortunately, I do not have any good reasons that would help to encourage or dissuade a person from moving here.
I just did it blindly.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
You did have your reasons ...

Hey Sollie,
I'm not sure that I even belong in the same classroom as HB, but that being said, I do have my story of why I moved here, but it's not what you might be looking for, as my circumstances were a bit unusual, in that the previous year I had been sent home from the hospital to die, at which point I was regretting not having lived my dream of living in the tropics.
Clearly I didn't die, so the following year I decided to do it, looked through my world atlas with my girlfriend, who had once come to the DR on vacation and liked it, and I had heard good things too, so we moved here.
I just didn't really care, as long as I got away from the horrendous northern cold and all it's stupid society controls. ( What I perceive as robotic living).
So... unfortunately, I do not have any good reasons that would help to encourage or dissuade a person from moving here.
I just did it blindly.

... and they are as good as any. Marco, thank you for sharing. Of course your reply begs a multitude of questions but I'll just tip my hat and tell you, not a bad way to operate.

Sollie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Shoot, no big deal. I had a shot at working a farm and I took it. Didn't work out, but I learned a lot. (Of course there was a nice young girl involved...45 years later we still talk to each other..)
I was offered some interesting work at the new PUCMM, and I have never left...had too much fun raising a flock of kids, doing sports, things I would never even have thought of doing inthe US....

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The adventure, thrill, excitement, not knowing Spanish and just going cold turkey into the mist of intrigue.

I had been going to Jamaica, where even there I ventured out on my own and searched down and located a former young lady employee of the AI I had been going to.

A friend at work suggested I try the DR. Made 2 reservations, one for Jamaica and one for the DR, tossed the idea of which one back and forth until the last minute. Never again went back to Jamaica.

My first trip outside of the U.S. was to a Club Med in Martinique, French West Indies, ventured outside the AI with a young lady from Sacramento and we saw a sign posted. We dug through our translator book wondering what great words the sign was saying.

It was a "No Trash" sign, we both laughed.
If we had known French, the experience would not have been the same.

The friendliness of the people kept me coming back to the DR, along with the ongoing adventure of exploring most of the DR on my own, not knowing Spanish made it even more adventurous. On one trip met a German friend and we hung out together. Some people will never understand how much better it was by not knowing Spanish.

I was corresponding with 2 DR young lady pen pals from Cosmopolitan magazine with my terrible Spanish, ventured cross country and met both of them and their friends (Forgot and left my Electronic Spanish/English translator at my hotel).

All these experiences made it better. In my opinion, it would not have been as exciting if I spoke Spanish, the young ladies were always eager to try to teach me their language.

Hell, anyone can do it knowing the language, but you lose the magic and excitement of the adventure!

Again, If I had known the language, the experiences would not have been the same.
A lot of the adventures and experiences would have been lost.

... First impressions.

What were your first impressions of the Dominican Republic, before DR1 gave you a forum to share?

Those were my first impressions (Experiences) and why I came here.........

Being a bachelor was a major factor ;) also.

First came to the DR in 1991, did not even know about DR1 until about 14 years later.

Don SantiagoDR

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hey Sollie,
I just did it blindly.

Wow, what an incredible story...and I guess the rest is history! I really couldnt agree with you more on your views of "northern cold" and "robotic living".
So great that your adventure turned out to be so positive...may you always go from strength to strength!

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Thank you both

The adventure, thrill, excitement, not knowing Spanish and just going cold turkey into the mist of intrigue.

I had been going to Jamaica, where even there I ventured out on my own and searched down and located a former young lady employee of the AI I had been going to.

A friend at work suggested I try the DR. Made 2 reservations, one for Jamaica and one for the DR, tossed the idea of which one back and forth until the last minute. Never again went back to Jamaica.

My first trip outside of the U.S. was to a Club Med in Martinique, French West Indies, ventured outside the AI with a young lady from Sacramento and we saw a sign posted. We dug through our translator book wondering what great words the sign was saying.

It was a "No Trash" sign, we both laughed.
If we had known French, the experience would not have been the same.

The friendliness of the people kept me coming back to the DR, along with the ongoing adventure of exploring most of the DR on my own, not knowing Spanish made it even more adventurous. On one trip met a German friend and we hung out together. Some people will never understand how much better it was by not knowing Spanish.

I was corresponding with 2 DR young lady pen pals from Cosmopolitan magazine with my terrible Spanish, ventured cross country and met both of them and their friends (Forgot and left my Electronic Spanish/English translator at my hotel).

All these experiences made it better. In my opinion, it would not have been as exciting if I spoke Spanish, the young ladies were always eager to try to teach me their language.

Hell, anyone can do it knowing the language, but you lose the magic and excitement of the adventure!

Again, If I had known the language, the experiences would not have been the same.
A lot of the adventures and experiences would have been lost.

Those were my first impressions (Experiences) and why I came here.........

Being a bachelor was a major factor ;) also.

First came to the DR in 1991, did not even know about DR1 until about 14 years later.

Don SantiagoDR

Very nice. Gracias. Hillbilly and Rocky show their ace but keep the rest of their hand close to the chest, SantiagoDR hints of passion. Impulsiveness, love and passion. Interesting starting points, I must say.

Sollie

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I can hardly wait for Aftab to "show up" and post his story of intrigue, power, and conquest..............

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Early on in my blogging days I cheesily compared the process to a love affair. Even though the country was one of many Latin American/Caribbean countries I visited for my work, this one had a special hold on me. At first, like your new lover, the country can do no wrong, and you can't understand why anyone would want to criticise it. Even its weaknesses and quirks are charming. You find out as much as possible about it. The more you learn about the country and its history, the more you want to be part of its future. Then you go through a period of questioning, hostility and rejection, and you come through it either with a decision to leave forever or stay. I stayed.

Of course, the fact that I met my life partner here was a factor. Otherwise I might be back in damp drizzly England dreaming about the one that got away.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Well said

Early on in my blogging days I cheesily compared the process to a love affair. Even though the country was one of many Latin American/Caribbean countries I visited for my work, this one had a special hold on me. At first, like your new lover, the country can do no wrong, and you can't understand why anyone would want to criticise it. Even its weaknesses and quirks are charming. You find out as much as possible about it. The more you learn about the country and its history, the more you want to be part of its future. Then you go through a period of questioning, hostility and rejection, and you come through it either with a decision to leave forever or stay. I stayed.

Of course, the fact that I met my life partner here was a factor. Otherwise I might be back in damp drizzly England dreaming about the one that got away.

Thank you kindly Chirimoya, another successful love story. I'm sure there's more where that came from.:glasses:

Sollie

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
How in the hell?

Shoot, no big deal. I had a shot at working a farm and I took it. Didn't work out, but I learned a lot. (Of course there was a nice young girl involved...45 years later we still talk to each other..)
I was offered some interesting work at the new PUCMM, and I have never left...had too much fun raising a flock of kids, doing sports, things I would never even have thought of doing inthe US....

HB

Don Hillbilly .. did you go from working on a farm to university teaching? How does one accomplish that? If you didn't have a million posts under your belt I would be suspicious. Honestly. I swear.

Sollie

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm no sage but have lived here for the last two years in Santiago. I came here from Florida with my Dominican wife to try to make my marriage better and have happier surroundings for our two daughters. I spent three months on the logistics of running my business in Florida from here and doing the move. Nonetehless, moving to another country requires a certain amount of spontaneity too, otherwise one would probably never consider it.