Dominican Republic education?

Zero

Nov 23, 2009
I need help finding information about the education in the Dominican Republic. I am doing a project in which I need to discuss about why Dominican citizens are not attending school. I know that the people there are not going to school because the cost but what are other reasons?

I've read that people that lives around the campo stops attending school at young ages. Why do they stop attending school?

Is the Dominican Government at fault? If so why?

I have been looking for sources online that can prove the questions above.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Poverty - lack of interest and commitment from parents and the authorities, some parents send the kids out to work, cost of uniforms, books and equipment, lack of birth certificates.

Some information here about the reasons for school drop-out (deserci?n escolar) and the work being done to tackle the problems.

UNICEF Dominican Republic - Home page

Nov 25, 2008
The reality is that teachers are not paid on time [sometimes going as much as 6 months without pay,"the checks in the mail"] and frustrated teachers lack off, people from the "campos" know that their future is in the fields that their parents attend, so school is like a past time.

Mar 2, 2008
You can get the statistics from those sites, but I think you are asking for opinions. If that is the case, here is my opinion, based solely on what I have observed.

The educational system is a very low priority for the DR government, and therefore the schools are of poor quality, there are low (or no) standards, there is a shortage of books and materials, and there is no emphasis on its importance. In short, there is no material or cultural support for education.

The kids get the message, loud and clear. so they have no real desire to waste their time, with little to gain. Even if they did attend and graduate from public school, and even if they did actually get a decent education, there are few opportunities for them after that here, so there is not a huge incentive for them to achieve academically.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can get the statistics from those sites, but I think you are asking for opinions. If that is the case, here is my opinion, based solely on what I have observed.

The educational system is a very low priority for the DR government, and therefore the schools are of poor quality, there are low (or no) standards, there is a shortage of books and materials, and there is no emphasis on its importance. In short, there is no material or cultural support for education.

The kids get the message, loud and clear. so they have no real desire to waste their time, with little to gain. Even if they did attend and graduate from public school, and even if they did actually get a decent education, there are few opportunities for them after that here, so there is not a huge incentive for them to achieve academically.

I agree that the majority of schools are of poor quality and the majority of teachers are under-educated and lack motivation. For most it is a job and not a vocation, however there are dedicated and talented teachers. I have spent quite a lot of time observing in schools when my wife was conducting research for her book and I've spent hours at the administrative offices in Jarabacoa. There are, at least in Jarabacoa, plenty of text books.....etc. There are numerous children that put a great deal of effort in to their schoolwork but it seems that getting that piece of paper, whether a high school diploma or BA, is more important than the knowledge. You are correct about the opportunities but in my 11 years of going to the DR I've seen many people improve theier lives through education. Not all of the DR is like PP and Sosua.

Mar 2, 2008
I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought that all of the DR was like Puerta Plata and Sosua, because that is certainly not my belief.

I also hope that you do not under the impression that I spend all my time on the north coast. That would be a mistaken impression.

Although I live in Sosua, I am not prohibited from traveling the entire country, at least not as yet.

Bob, you seem to be a decent enough guy, but you also seem to be big on making hasty assumptions about people, particularly those you choose to take issue with.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I agree that the majority of schools are of poor quality and the majority of teachers are under-educated and lack motivation. For most it is a job and not a vocation, however there are dedicated and talented teachers. I have spent quite a lot of time observing in schools when my wife was conducting research for her book and I've spent hours at the administrative offices in Jarabacoa. There are, at least in Jarabacoa, plenty of text books.....etc. There are numerous children that put a great deal of effort in to their schoolwork but it seems that getting that piece of paper, whether a high school diploma or BA, is more important than the knowledge. You are correct about the opportunities but in my 11 years of going to the DR I've seen many people improve their lives through education. Not all of the DR is like PP and Sosua.

Catcher is point on with his observations of the PUBLIC schools, which some 80+% of the kids attend. PRIVATE schools are another category altogether, but a very small percentage of the school population darken those doors. Most of the public schools double shift and the kids only go to school about 4 hours a day. The teachers are paid very poorly (like the police) nobody should have to survive on 5K a month. With that said why should they put much into the vocation.
I remember my kids private schools taking up collections of Notepads, pencils etc for the public schools. If things are different in Jarabacoa, then great but that is not the norm for public schools here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The "tanda" (shift) system in state schools is one of the reasons parents and children get away with not attending school. If you see a school-age child in the streets in the mornings they may well be attending the afternoon "tanda", or not.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Catcher is point on with his observations of the PUBLIC schools, which some 80+% of the kids attend. PRIVATE schools are another category altogether, but a very small percentage of the school population darken those doors. Most of the public schools double shift and the kids only go to school about 4 hours a day. The teachers are paid very poorly (like the police) nobody should have to survive on 5K a month. With that said why should they put much into the vocation.
I remember my kids private schools taking up collections of Notepads, pencils etc for the public schools. If things are different in Jarabacoa, then great but that is not the norm for public schools here.

They go 3hrs per day to school here in JD and most weeks not even 5 days. They closed the school the whole of last week because they had to paint it. They couldn't wait 2 weeks till Christmas vacation!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Public school teachers make around 10,000 if they are only doing one shift and around 16-18k if they are doing the full day. My wife will often have children in her school until they learn to read and write, then their parents transfer them to the public schools because of the cost. Often they'll ask to re-enroll them in Coleigo San Jose a year later.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought that all of the DR was like Puerta Plata and Sosua, because that is certainly not my belief.

I also hope that you do not under the impression that I spend all my time on the north coast. That would be a mistaken impression.

Although I live in Sosua, I am not prohibited from traveling the entire country, at least not as yet.

Bob, you seem to be a decent enough guy, but you also seem to be big on making hasty assumptions about people, particularly those you choose to take issue with.

I have no issues with you, perhaps you have your sensitivity meter tuned too high. I believe you grouped all schools as poor, The government having little interest in providing education, students with no interest, and no opportunities for those that do go on to post secondary education. This of course was an opinion, or perhaps just an assumption that all schools are poor, all student disinterested.....etc. We all know there could be vast improvements, but that goes for all school systems, including the one you taught in, would you agree?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Public school teachers make around 10,000 if they are only doing one shift and around 16-18k if they are doing the full day. My wife will often have children in her school until they learn to read and write, then their parents transfer them to the public schools because of the cost. Often they'll ask to re-enroll them in Coleigo San Jose a year later.

Rubro: Educaci?n
Pa?s: Rep?blica Dominicana
Sueldo: 150 D?lares (EEUU)*
Comentario: profesor en el nivel basico 3 a?os

This is from 21/03/2007 with an exchange rate of 28 to 1 so would have been about 4200 a month.

Don?t know if this includes the double shift but either way your figures are a heck of an Increase over this. Either that or your looking a much higher than nivel basico.

Rep?blica Dominicana - Todos los rubros - ?Cu?nto cobro...?

Mar 2, 2008
The system I taught in provided a very good education by any standards.

The high school, where I taught, has about a 80% college acceptance rate, and their vocational program, which includes culinary, welding, woodworking/construction, and many other technical courses, has a great record for introducing students into various careers.

The system as a whole spends about $10,000 US per student per year, and more than that for special education students.

Could it improve? Certainly, but to compare that system to the one here in the DR is laughable. Not even close.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
there are many reasons:

In rural areas children go to their primary school til 4, 5 or 6th grade, depending how many kids need schooling, if there are not that many kids for sixth grade then they would just not teach that grade.

When kids must go to higher grades they must walk to the nearest "campo" sometimes hours away on foot and many parents don't have the means to pay for transportation or there is no transportation for them to take.

For high school they must walk even further so this would definitly discourage any young child from going to school.

Mar 2, 2008
And yes, I do rate most public schools in the DR as 'poor', I do believe the government does not put enough emphasis (translating into not providing enough money and other resources) on education, and I believe that those are two important contributing factors to the problem of children not attending school.

I hope that clarifies my opinion.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009

Not all of the DR is like PP and Sosua.

will someone please elaborate as to why POP is once again being singled out? What do you mean when you say "like PP"?

I am extrenmely interested as this site is real big on POP bashing as a whole when its clear most havent even stepped out of their little tourist holes---not saying thats what you are doing but I'd like to know what it is you ARE doing.

as bienamor stated, catchers observations apply to most if not all of the country. Its mostly just private schools that are different. And PLENTY of people in PP have benefited from an education. If anything compared to most less populated provinces there are more educated and well off people on POP simply because theres more access to it.

I'm willing to bet Bobs Jarabacoa experiences are actually the exception. The general rule is more like what catcher paints.

Mar 2, 2008
POPNYCHIC, I was simply responding to Bob Saunder's post, and while recognizing that there are differences, I was not implying any negative connotation. However, I think it is obvious that Bob Saunders dislikes the north coast for some reason.

To each his own.

I live in Sosua, and I find the surroundings to be very pleasant indeed. I have no complaints, which are specific to this area whatsoever.

On the other hand, I do understand that there are differences, as there are everywhere. Naturally, Sosua is different from Puerta Plata, Puerta Plata is different from Santiago, and Santago is different from Santo Domingo, etc.

These recognizable differences are worthy of consideration, and individuals must decide for themselves what attributes are to their liking, and which are not.

Bob Saunders has made his determination, and I have made mine. That's okay with me. If we all liked the same things life would be very uninteresting and common.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Here goes...

I don't live in the DR, but I have been there lots and my husbands family is Dominican. My in-laws live in the 'campo' outside San Francisco. On my first visit to my in-laws I noticed that my nieces and nephews education seemed to be lacking....

I have an 8y/o nephew who lives with my in-laws, he goes to school from 2 to 5 in the afternoon. I remember last year my husband and I were still trying to teach him to read and count, yes every child is different, but no one seemed that concerned that a 7 y/o couldn't count from 1-20.....

My 10 y/o niece goes to a special school in the morning from 9am-12pm that is supposed to be for more 'gifted children'. But it doesn't really mean much. There is no money in her family, when she finishes elementary school she will not go to high school. She will work with her mom at home. No big deal, right? I was appalled when I learned this, but this seems to be the norm. There is no high school in their pueblo, she would have to walk 3 hours to the closest town. Even if somehow by the grace of God she was able to go to high school (there was 'talk' of building one for the campesinos) there is no money for college. She will never leave the DR, why would she need a college education? or so I am told...

Anyways I have said enough. This was just what I have seen in Caobete Pimentel. I can't speak for the rest of the island.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
catcher, yep. diff tastes are what make the world go 'round.

what i am speaking of moreso is the pigeonholing and stereotyping of such a large area. Its kind of like saying "I hate the state of NY, its too busy, too loud, theres too much traffic" when that only applies to a miniscule part of the state (a good 90% is actually quiet suburbs). Its more appropriate to say you hate that particular area of it. The same thing happens with POP and people trying to apply what they see in a tiny part of it to the entire province. Its shortsighted to say the least and its ridiculously common on DR1.

So basically, if you are saying you dislike something because you KNOW good and well what youre talking about then, great. whatever. but if youre just looking at a minimal area and deciding the ENTIRE spanse is like that , without bothering to look elsehwere, and thus you hate ALL of it....umm...yeah. Its ignorant.

anyway....the gubmint doesnt give a crap about edumacation anywhere in the DR...thats a given lol