Dominican Republic education?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
POPNYCHIC, I was simply responding to Bob Saunder's post, and while recognizing that there are differences, I was not implying any negative connotation. However, I think it is obvious that Bob Saunders dislikes the north coast for some reason.

To each his own.

I live in Sosua, and I find the surroundings to be very pleasant indeed. I have no complaints, which are specific to this area whatsoever.

On the other hand, I do understand that there are differences, as there are everywhere. Naturally, Sosua is different from Puerta Plata, Puerto Plata is different from Santiago, and Santiago is different from Santo Domingo, etc.

These recognizable differences are worthy of consideration, and individuals must decide for themselves what attributes are to their liking, and which are not.

Bob Saunders has made his determination, and I have made mine. That's okay with me. If we all liked the same things life would be very uninteresting and common.

I have nothing against the north coast. I've been there many times and it has been my general impression that it is dirtier than many other places, more expensive, and it has a reputation that is less than stellar with many (not me). I like Cabarete and I've stayed at 5 or 6 A1 resorts in the PP area. I've read many postings on here about the corrupt police, high crime rate, crooked realtors, lawyers, expats wanted by interpol, child molesters ....etc that perhaps may magnify the problems in my eyes.

Mar 2, 2008
I have nothing against the north coast.

And that followed by all the reasons he hates it.

In any event, it is obvious.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
1. I dont think there is enough planning for anything with respect to the betterment of society here. During the Great Depression in the 1930s in the US, they would just build buildings and schools to give people work and determine what they would do with them later. This is how most State Universities, public health departments, state prisons, prep schools, and high schools started. They could use that here. All of this is cyclical expansion. You build the schools, to send the kids somewhere to learn. Jobs are created in school construction and administration. The kids get educated start local businesses or enterprises or advocate for political reforms. Now you get ancillary jobs in addition to education. Over time in 1 generation you can a Chairman Mao "Great Leap Forward". Its not that easy but then again what so good about going to school 4 hours a day?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
imo, the reason the gubmint is so reluctant to invest in education is because intelligent well-read citizens would undoubtedly turn the establishment on its head and the people in power and haves are having far too much fun riding on the backs of the havenots to allow that to happen. it could cost them billions in income per year if people actually started to question them and demand what they deserve for their hard work. clearly they do not want to lose money. and thats probably all it boils down to---the pockets of the select few.

nevermind education could make most of our pockets happy....they dont care about the majority...so its better and easier to keep the majority down when it comes to knowledge...after all, as corny as it sounds, thats the key to everything.

clearly the people dont have the money or other resources to fund their own schools and construct a proper education system on their own. in our case the government really is the one who could turn this around....they simply dont care to.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainannie

Zero

Nov 23, 2009
True..
Since my speech needs a solution , I was thinking of discussing that the Dominican Government should implant a economic assistance like in NYC. Examples would be that the NYC public schools loan books to the students, free transportation on a yellow bus, or provide free breakfast and lunch before class starts.

I've noticed that many of the problems are because of the costs. I've been reading these two on this site:
DR1 - Living
DR1 - Living

I have read that the minimum salary in the private sector can RD$3,415 per month. Then I thought to myself how can someone really afford to go to send their child to school, pay utilities, transportation, and buy food. I read on the 1st site that school can cost under RD$4,000 a month.

Also I was wondering, is education above primary is paid or free? I know so far that the primary schools are free.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Public high school is free, supplies ( books, pens, paper...etc) and uniforms are not. Public University is not free, but is not very expensive either.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The government's contribution or lack of is reflected in the percentage of the national budget allocated to education. Although this is improving slowly, the DR still has one of the lowest allocations in the Latin America/Caribbean region.

Current expenditure at 1.8% remains far from the allocation of 6% recommended by UNESCO.
(2008)

Education International

Mar 2, 2008
It is important to note also that the money budgeted for "education" is often used as a fall-back resource for the military and other branches of government, when they have gone through their own budgets and are in the need of extra funds.

In other words, the money initially allocated for education often is not used for that purpose. In the DR, that money is much like a reserve fund of sorts, which further obscures the real amount actually spent on education.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
The educational system is a very low priority for the DR government, and therefore the schools are of poor quality, there are low (or no) standards, there is a shortage of books and materials, and there is no emphasis on its importance. In short, there is no material or cultural support for education.

The shortage of books might be a good thing. Here is the coverage of the holocaust from the state-sponsored level 9 history text:

"The Nazi regime was racist and led to the deaths of millions of people."

One sentence. Yet somehow there is a whole chapter on the first Gulf War.

I looked over a handful textbooks from different levels and subjects and found them to be embarrassingly bad.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
It has to do with the system in place. From an economical point of view, it better for local and corrupt politicians that the citizens continue with a very low level of education. If the system is working for the them why to change it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It has to do with the system in place. From an economical point of view, it better for local and corrupt politicians that the citizens continue with a very low level of education. If the system is working for the them why to change it.

You re right, the same as what POPNY said. These people cannot revolt if they dont know what it is nor how to support one. A well educated populace would question why the system is the way it is and how it benefits only a select portion of it.

Also I like the people who give themselves titles and decrees.
I had an argument with my lawyer friend who took pride in being Licensiada. I was like so what? They got guys who work for the Sanitation Department of NYC who have Masters degrees(Ingenieros). And moreover, in the US you can be a Notario for $35. But heres a question, how good could the licensiados be if they had a 2ndary education of 4 hours a day?

Mar 2, 2008
Many would say, "When in Rome....", so, I'm a freakin' lawyer, Licensiada y Ingenieros.

So does ya want I should do your title???

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
yea man, gimme one of those. Along with Capitan de los marineros with my a ship named after me USS RacerX....hey? Can I get some Olympic medals to go along with it? Uhmm, 1984 please, I tell people I was in Sarajevo.