Dominican Republic education?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You re right, the same as what POPNY said. These people cannot revolt if they dont know what it is nor how to support one. A well educated populace would question why the system is the way it is and how it benefits only a select portion of it.

Also I like the people who give themselves titles and decrees.
I had an argument with my lawyer friend who took pride in being Licenciada. I was like so what? They got guys who work for the Sanitation Department of NYC who have Masters degrees(Ingenieros). And moreover, in the US you can be a Notario for $35. But here's a question, how good could the licenciados be if they had a 2ndary education of 4 hours a day?

In Hawaii high school class time is 4 hours and 17 minutes, and the average across the USA is 5 HRS & 14 minutes. In Yris's school in Jarabacoa there are 5 - 50 minute classes per day. However quality means more than quantity. Most here would agree that most children in the DR get neither. In China they learn Trig and Calculus in grade 6.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from Bob?s first link

We know, for example, that a strong relationship exists between school enrollments ? particularly at the primary level ? and subsequent economic growth. Countries that expanded enrollments sharply during the 1950s and 1960s experienced higher rates of economic growth during the 1970s and 1980s, even after other factors that contribute to growth are taken into account.

A recent World Bank study found that sustained investments in primary schooling several decades ago were critically important to the success of the eight rapidly growing economies of East Asia ? the "tigers" (World Bank 1993a). The historical evidence on this issue is so strong that many economists argue that at a certain threshold in human-capital accumulation economic growth accelerates.

We also know that education makes farmers more productive. A study of 18 low-income countries recently concluded that 4 years of primary schooling made farmers, on average, nearly 9% more productive than those with no education. When complementary inputs are available ? such as fertilizer, new seeds, and new machinery ? the impact rises to 13%. A study in Peru showed that an additional 1 year of schooling for a farmer increased annual output by about 2%. Most economists argue that education not only makes farmers produce more with the same quantity of inputs but also enables them to absorb new information and makes them more willing to try new techniques (Lockheed et al. 1980). quote

I think this is the real crux of what it means when one sees the low investment in education here..--- that they are NOT actually interested in economic growth but more interested in preserving the status quo of the class .-- and remember the political class---structure.

This would be the REAL platform for change that neither of the political parties is going to introduce because it would mean the end of them.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I think this is the real crux of what it means when one sees the low investment in education here..--- that they are NOT actually interested in economic growth but more interested in preserving the status quo of the class .-- and remember the political class---structure.

This would be the REAL platform for change that neither of the political parties is going to introduce because it would mean the end of them.

I don't disagree with what you and Bob are saying but I think you're giving the politicians too much credit. Most of them aren't as smart as all that. The bottom line is there's no demand for education reform because most people, themselves uneducated, don't see the how it would benefit them. If the people started burning tires in the street for better schools there would be more talk of reform. Until then the politicians will continue pandering to whatever causes will get them reelected.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I don't disagree with what you and Bob are saying but I think you're giving the politicians too much credit. Most of them aren't as smart as all that. The bottom line is there's no demand for education reform because most people, themselves uneducated, don't see the how it would benefit them. If the people started burning tires in the street for better schools there would be more talk of reform. Until then the politicians will continue pandering to whatever causes will get them reelected.

Good point, but here is my question for you. What would make them do that? China is the big bad bear in the room. Mexico had an opportunity to get ahead of this early in the NAFTA years but didnt. Now they are screwed. free trade agreements are worthless in comparison to a country with a population of 1.3 Billion people and no environmental regs. You cant compete with them on a cost benefit analysis in no fashion...maybe only transportation costs to bring goods to the North AMerican market. This was what a portion of the race to the bottom was. Now Mexico is a perpetual failed state, because the people have never received enough education to make them foremost at anything and there is no reason to now because there are no IMMEDIATE job opportunities. The ruling class figure it doesnt matter, they ll sneak into the US get jobs and send remittances.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
So public elementary and high school is free, providing that the child can get the uniform and supplies needed...Someone has mentioned that public university is not free but not very expensive either. I`m wondering if anyone knows the costs associated with the universities or tech schools?
I`ve often seen many charities and groups fundraising to purchase uniforms and supplies for the younger kids but haven`t come across to many that help keep the kids in high school or university. Is there anyone out there who knows of groups who are doing this?

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Education and upgrading

Could someone please tell me if they know of anyone willing to help a 25 year old male obtain upgrading in order that he may obtain his grade 12. This individual is from the Jarabocoa area, works through the day, so therefore would need evening tutoring. Any other suggestions or information would be helpful

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Kristen - the public high school has night school. Anyone is eligible. It's night school. THat's one option. If he doesn't want to sit in class (I do'nt know why he wouldn't if he really wants an education, but...) he can enroll as an independent student in the night school. He'll get the resources and only has to go to take the tests. He'd have to make an agreement with the principal as most are discouraging this type of program except when it's necessary (student works at night and saturdays, etc...) Another option would be to take part of the public program called "Prepara" which is an accelerated HS diploma studying all day on Saturday or Sunday. A private program called CENAPEC is also around, but I don't know if they have classes in Jarabacoa. It's the same as Prepara except you can do a regular course of study (because let's be honest, not everyone is cut out for the accelerated and not everyone has ALL DAY saturday or sunday to study) and it's about $500 pesos a month.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Could someone please tell me if they know of anyone willing to help a 25 year old male obtain upgrading in order that he may obtain his grade 12. This individual is from the Jarabocoa area, works through the day, so therefore would need evening tutoring. Any other suggestions or information would be helpful

There are night classes at both public high schools in Jarabacoa, as well on Saturday during the days. The one directly behind City Hall( Juan Antonio Guzman Fabian) has university classes, and the one up above, near the Catholic High school, has adult high school classes. I'm not sure if she is still in charge of the night classes, but it was a woman named Luz Degado. There are a number of Tutors available.