Santo Domingo just has too many vehicles in circulation

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Tapones-Listin-Diario-e1631627309798.jpeg

Years of banks offering the lowest rates and best finance plans to buy vehicles have led the capital city of Santo Domingo to practically a standstill. Now it seems everyone has a vehicle or two, but no one is moving with traffic jams being the normal. Double parking on streets is worsening the problem.

A report in Listin Diario on 13 September 2021 gives the statistics that explain this grim reality. The National District has 1,380,075 vehicles and a population of 1,049,567 persons. Listin Diario says the day will soon come when the city will just be one continuous traffic jam.

When extended to Greater Santo Domingo, by including the province of Santo Domingo and the municipality of Bajos de Haina, to the west, Greater Santo Domingo has a population of 4,210,121. A large number of people who live in the province of Santo Domingo and Haina commute every day to and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We spend the entire day yesterday traveling in Santo Domingo taking care of things... Can confirm... As soon as we were finally able to hit Autopista Duarte and headed back home to POP, we felt relieved... The traffic used to be nightmare 10 years ago, now it's unbearable...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The answer is easy as daylight:
Congestion charging.
Actually, the answer is easier than that.

Outlaw Hyundai Sonatas and Kia K5s!

You would rid half the cars off the road overnight. Only idiots and a$$holes drive them!

Reactions: chico bill

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Actually, the answer is easier than that.

Outlaw Hyundai Sonatas and Kia K5s!

You would rid half the cars off the road overnight. Only idiots and a$$holes drive them!
Yes, I agree here... I have yet to see one Sonata or K5 that is driver properly and in a safe manner... On Sunday, we passed a K5 on the highway the windows open, there were multiple small children in the back seat and the whole front bumper and one headlight assembly were completely missing... We just made sure that we stay far away from the vehicle...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I was thinking today (I do this sometimes..lol). I have been living here now for over 27 years (time flies, I even lost track, although traveling to/visiting since 1988 (?) ). Traffic has always been an issue but not like now. It is just a big parking lot out there. I lived here before many of the overpasses, etc.. Back in the day traffic was crappy because people drove any which way, not a lot of lights back then (hardly any).. Just cars going any which way. Now there is many, many more cars still going any which way...lol. Off topic..the first playa I went to in DR was Playa Palenque (sorry mods just a bit of nostalgia kicking in).

Reactions: AlterEgo and aarhus

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Yes, I agree here... I have yet to see one Sonata or K5 that is driver properly and in a safe manner... On Sunday, we passed a K5 on the highway the windows open, there were multiple small children in the back seat and the whole front bumper and one headlight assembly were completely missing... We just made sure that we stay far away from the vehicle...
you think it's only sonata and k5 drivers that can't drive?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
25 years ago when first here, no traffic or parking problems. Had many Dominican friends that had 2 or 3 children that they now have 2 or 3 children. They all want to drive and have a piece of the cake.
Do the math and find the answer to ...how much cake do we have?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Did anyone see this? I sure hope it helps. Google Translated.

Heavy cargo will be banned from the National District from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.​

• It is a pilot plan that includes the exemption of heavy duty vehicles from the collection of the ring road toll.
The authorities will soon start a pilot plan that will temporarily prohibit the entry of heavy cargo transport into the National District.

The secretary general of the Mayor's Office of the National District, Hugo Beras, said that the time of the ban will be from 6:00 in the morning until 8:00 at night. In the radio interview, he did not detail the start date of the measure or how long it will be in effect.

Sources close to the negotiation told Diario Libre that the pilot plan will mean that heavy-duty vehicles will use the Santo Domingo ring road without paying the toll. "We are going to ban entry to the city for a while and we are going to leave free of payment for a while. We are waiting for the start date, which will be announced in the coming days," the respondents said.

The project involves the Mayor's Office of the National District, the Ministry of Public Works, Intrant, transporters and entrepreneurs, among others, with the technical support of the Inter-American Development Bank.

For his part, Beras said that only vans that have a special authorization will be able to enter the National District.

The measure will affect between 3,000 to 4,000 heavy-duty vehicles that currently transit through the capital every day.

Reactions: Liberator and cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
25 years ago when first here, no traffic or parking problems. Had many Dominican friends that had 2 or 3 children that they now have 2 or 3 children. They all want to drive and have a piece of the cake.
Do the math and find the answer to ...how much cake do we have?
You can't eat your cake and have it, too.