2 Canadian Girls Wanting to move and work in the dominican

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
Hi there, i know that i can say for myself that i do want to work in the resort and i don't think that it's all fun in the sun. but just wondering why you would say re-consider if you could send me more on what you have experienced that would be great thanks.

hollybjolly

Jan 24, 2007
Hi thank you for the reply. By the sounds if things i think that you can help me very much. What I am wanting to do is actually work in a resort there and you mentioned that's what you did. I would really like to go there for a year to see if I would like to stay longer. Which I hope is the case. So as far as residency what did you have to do. As of right now I have been reading things but not overly sure where to start entirely. I am learning spanish right now and then I am looking into a job at a resort how did you get your job at the resort. Thank you for your time.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
That's good.

Are you not the gentleman entrepreneur who wants to open up a restaurant?
How about employing the four Canadian ladies (?) as staff?
There you go... things are so easily done here.

m'frog

I heard somewhere that it is required by law to employ 5 dominicans for every non dominican.....is this true?
I'm not sure at all.

Besides that, I have a few good ideas for things to set up down there. Things they don't have...but hopefully may need. Either way it's all going to be happening over the next few weeks....my house closes here on Feb.20th.. Let's just put it that way.
Bye, snow.....seeya!
: p.

leafman

Jan 4, 2006
just saw your post, when are you thinking of moving down? what area? i hear it makes quite a difference. before i came down i was deciding between the north coast and punta cana area. As far as i can tell, and for that matter what the people here tell me, i made the right choice. i do have a funny feeling that they would have said that had i gone to P.C. From what i hear there is more to do on the north coast, but the beaches are nicer on the east. Of course its a bigger country then just those 2 places.

i would also suggest trying to line up something before you come down, at the very least a contact of some sort, at one of the resorts.thats what i did, things went pretty smoothly in my case...right place right time. the one thing you have working for you is that its very transient down here. if your in the cofresi/pop area try ocean world or hacienda resort, sun village.or google those places for websites.

other then that try to have a little money saved up,in case all doesnt go well, maybe get a one/two week all inclusive and make that your home base. haul ass for that time to get a place and a job. if you absolutely cant get anything and desperation sets in at least you have a way home.i only say that because once that flight left, i knew i had no way back unless i got a job
im sure you wont have a problem, though.

all the best in whatever you decide

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I have seen few foreigners working in resorts...unless she means as a rep or selling timeshare?? Ive heard its difficult to get a job in a resort.

I am moving to Sosua in 6 months and I am planning and researching like crazy to make sure I am prepared. I have a job and an apartment ready for when I get there and I have a support system of close friends there to help, not to mention a supportive bf.

What area are you looking to live in?

greyman

Dec 26, 2006
Just a thought but I once met a lady from Canada that worked at the Breezes on the north coast. She taught Yoga and worked out a deal for free room and board for the summer. If you have any particular talents perhaps you could get creative and do something similar.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Hi there, i know that i can say for myself that i do want to work in the resort and i don't think that it's all fun in the sun. but just wondering why you would say re-consider if you could send me more on what you have experienced that would be great thanks.

Have you graduated from college in "Travel and Tourism" or "Hotel/ Restaurant Administration"? Why do you think that they would want to hire you if you do not have these qualifications. Could you really live on $10 a day? I know I couldn't.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
I am hiring

I am looking for a few native English speakers for customer service jobs in San Pedro de Macoris.

We are a manufacturer for a New York company and moved our customer service functions here about a year ago. We deal with US customers who sell our products. Taking orders, answering pre-sales questions, providing order status and similar things.

I will not be offering any jobs to people "planning" to move here. Once you are here, please contact me. If you have good people skills, are well organized, good with computers and are looking for a job that pays pretty well then contact me.

Regards,
Jim

Pyza

Jan 3, 2007
i know that club med is always hiring, if there is a club med you could prob get a job through them i was gonna get a job teaching sailing one year. But im loving all of the canadains well, mainly people from ontario going down to dominican and wanting to stay there this summer. If you u make it down i'll be in cabarette for 3 months.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Holly and co... Go for it!

But have some cash behind you. I'd seriously suggest having enough cash back in Canada that someone you trust can access to buy you a ticket home at short notice. Not money that you can spend/lose/have stolen from you in DR. Then go down there with some cash to live frugally on for a few months.

Then see how it goes. As long as you aren't stupid with regard to your personal safety (from RTA's to HIV and all points in between) it will either work out (GREAT!) or you'll go back to Canada skint but much richer for the experience! Good luck & have fun.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OH Froggie! You beat me to it. Good to see that the Grammar Police auxiliaries are on duty!!

Don't you sort of wonder how they even manage to find the place???

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Directions From Lady Bellwether

...Don't you sort of wonder how they even manage to find the place???

Well, I guess, they follow their bellwether. :bunny:

And then:

weibfyui7.jpg

m'frog

Last edited:

elvisdeoleo

Feb 14, 2007
English Teacher- La Romana

If you are interested in moving to the east of the country maybe you can try La Romana, it is in the middle of the two most important spots in the country at the moment: The capital, Sto. Dgo. and Punta Cana.
La Romana is a small city but with enough to get all your basic needs covered, the beach is very close and you can get a job as an English Teacher very easy. if you are interested in more details let me know and I will sure give you more details

ccl

Jan 10, 2007
my friend and i wanted to go down and live in cabarete for a couple months this summer too, but came to the realization that we should just save up enough money to last us a while, and not plan on finding a job. at least not a well paying one. a job would be nice, but it sounds like it would be near impossible...