2008 Caribbean World Series - 50th Anniversary

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
On the contrary, if you were a scalper you would be able to make a living.

However, ignorance and market control being the main tools to running a business here it should be understandble why the locals can't seem to understand the laws of supply and demand. I see this over and over all the time here, the locals do their utmost best to maintain high prices even when they could sell at much higher volumes (and thus higher profits) and inevitably loose out in the end - "and ignorant man's greed" would be a good term for it.

I wonder if the organizers of the event will be able to put two plus two together - maybe not, they don't seem to be too bright either - the boneheads should have known the scalpers were going to try to rip off the people. In the end a lot of money is lost in concessions and hotels.

Chip...you are so wise, my friend!!! I was thinking the same thing while waiting at the airport...$10 USD for a little doll souvenir...that La Sirena sells for $50 RD!!!! They don't sell ****...but they STILL don't lower their prices!!! What a shame!!!

This should (but it's not going to) be a lesson for all these greedy people...they sold the tickets yes, but there are NO PEOPLE SITTING at the stadium to watch the games...

We went on Tuesday...bought bleacher seats...from a cousin of Tony's who gave them to us for $100 RD each...(We bought 4 tix) he wasn't gonna make money off of us...so Tony gave him and extra $300 RD...but we were NOT going to pay $60 US or $50 US for palco seats...First, the ticket windows were closed when we got to the stadium...and we were NOT gonna talk to the scalpers...Thank God this guy showed up when he did...if not, we were prepared to watch the game at a bar or even on the streets...

It's such a shame the rest of the world had to see all those empty seats during the first 4 days of competition!!!!

And now, to top it all off...Damn AGUILAS lost again last night!!!! It's due or die for tonight's game...I would HATE to see Licey win it all...they didn't even qualify for this...it's all by default...what a shame!!!

GO AGUILAS!!!!

BTW...Santiago IS a beautiful city...we had tons of fun...too bad the game ended soooo late Tues. night...we couldn't go see Rubby Perez at the Monument...boohoo!!!! ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Let me tell you something...I actually didn't care much if Licey won the whole thing, as Aguilas are already the real champions of The DR this year, but after reading today's paper about tearing up the visitors' dugout after their loss to Mexico last night (read here El Nacional, la voz de todos) I'm really hoping that Aguilas (I think they're the only ones with a chance) end up burying them. Talk about no class... They should also be fined big time for doing this kind of crap.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The way it stands now is Aquilas must beat Licey tonight to force a one game playoff Friday. If Licey wins tonight it is over.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's well known that 'that other team' has NO CLASS...it's really unbelievable that going into the series by default they still have the audacity to do something like that to the dugout...I think they might have actually done it in spite...after all...it IS the Aguilas Stadium...and we know how they feel about Las Aguilas!!! Pity!!!

Anyway...WE MUST beat them tonight to force another game tomorrow...otherwise...they world will never hear the end of it!!!!

That 'L' on their caps serves them well...LOSERS!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Licey just scord 4 runs in the top of the 4th to go ahead 6-2 and they are still batting with men on. Looks like it might go to Friday.

By the way, there are no empty seats tonight. Full house.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Licey just scord 4 runs in the top of the 4th to go ahead 6-2 and they are still batting with men on. Looks like it might go to Friday.

By the way, there are no empty seats tonight. Full house.

If Las Aguilas lose tonight, and they are losing now how can there be another day.....Friday??????

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Damn you Gardito!!!

As quoted in Dominican Today:

SANTO DOMINGO.- Santo Domingo’s Tigres del Licey won its tenth Caribbean Baseball Series crown by defeating the local champions Aguilas Cibae?as 8-2, to close the event’s 50th competition, with teams from Venezuela and Mexico also taking part.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
This whole series thing was a total sham from the beginning...

First...it's not supposed to be Aguilas or Licey...it's supposed to be a team from Dominican Republic representing the whole country...Like it was Venezuela, Mexico and PR if they hadn't been so stupid as to not show up...

But who the heck is gonna make those hard headed Dominicans understand that concept, uh?

Second, if PR didn't show up...they should have had ONLY the 3 teams somehow play themselves...with one team sitting out each day...

Licey DID NOT win the winter season...they should NOT have been there...

And last...AGUILAS SUCKED during this series...big time...and FELIX FERMIN did not lift a finger to even argue a bad call!!!!

But...BAD KARMA IS A BIATCH!!!!!

They wanted to rip people off...they got what they deserved...they got ripped off by their worst enemy!!!

DAMN THEM ALL!!!

Congrats, Licey!!!

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
As quoted in Dominican Today:

SANTO DOMINGO.- Santo Domingo?s Tigres del Licey won its tenth Caribbean Baseball Series crown by defeating the local champions Aguilas Cibae?as 8-2, to close the event?s 50th competition, with teams from Venezuela and Mexico also taking part.

My bad! TEN TIME SERIE DEL CARIBE CHAMPIONS: LICEY!

E.

flaca223

Jan 3, 2008
first and foremost.....what a GREAT week!!! Now....here's my take on the series........

One.....lots of the seats in the stadium were reserved...I know because I was able to obtain my tix from someone who bought tickets for the whole week. They were'nt interested in going to every game, so if they didn't sell the tix, seats were empty...multiply that by dozens of people who were holding on average 4 tickets for every game and thats why the stadium seemed empty. I probably would've done the same since I was only interested in going to 2 of the games Aguilas vs. Licey.

Two.....Licey should be ashamed of themselves....bunch of sore losers....even if the damage to the dug out wasn't as bad as the press made it seem, the point is that there shouldn't have been any damage at all. God forbid Aguilas go to their stadium and do the same thing.

3....I know why Mexico didn't do so good (other than the fact the DR is just so damn good lol).....at 4AM I happened to be at the club of the hotel were they were staying, and there were a good number of their players there drinking....when I left at 4AM, they were still there drinking....it seems that came to have fun...not really play...and really, who can be mad at them....win or lose, they had a great time.

4th....and I'm so mad no one here thought of this earlier (or if you did, shame on you for not sharing with your fellow board members).....if you noticed, the tickets were for both games on each day....so if you had a ticket for Tuesday's games, you were able to attend both games on the same ticket. I happened to come across someone leaving the staium after the first game on the first day the Aguilas were playing Licey. After speaking to them, they told me they wouldn't be returning to the nite game (which is the one I wanted to attend), so I bought his stub for $10US. (did that make sense....I just got in last nite and I'm still a lil hung over)....

Hope everyone enjoyed DR....I know I did.....a little bitter that AC lost, but I had fun none the less and I look forward to the next season......

by the way...anyone have pictures they wanna share.....I have some up on myspace.....is there a board or website where we can put the pictures??

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
We only took video of the game we attended...if I ever find out how to get pictures from it, I'll post them!!! ;)

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
World Series

Yeah I bought 4 tickets (just as I thought would be available) from the resident scalpers on the street for Thursday's finale. $30 each. Excellent seats 2 rows from the 3rd base. Of course it's too bad so many local Dominicans couldn't attend (meaning those who would go if prices were more reasonable). Nevertheless, I had a great time.

Mooreman

Jul 15, 2007
I have a ton of pictures of my trip to the Caribbean World Series. You tend to collect a bunch when you sit through all 12 games. Overall, I was HIGHLY disappointed in this Caribbean World Series. I thought Mazatlan in '05 and Carolina in '07 were MUCH better attended. It was standing room only for those places when the home team played. What happened in Santiago with the scalpers was a disgrace. There was a lot of surprise it was held there instead of Santo Domingo, and I can say I don't think it'll ever be held there again.

Mexico played like they normally do so I don't think the bar had anything to do with it. They had been 1-15 in the Series since their championship in 2005 before their dramatic amazing victory over Licey. They won their last 2, and set up momentum for next year in Mexicali, when they'll field the strongest Pre-World Baseball Classic team possible. The WBC will have an effect on the SDC next year.

Anyway, thanks to Chip and Planner for all their help. There were a lot of hiccups along the way as it was, and without their invaluable help there is no way I would have made all 12 games. The resort screwed us blue so they gave me a free week. Think I might use it during the regular season. Catch an Aguilas game of course, but I'll come in early and see a couple of games in Santo Domingo.

It was a joy chatting with you all, and steveo I have some good pictures of you with a very large Tiger. Guys shoot me an email if you want some pictures and the like.

Viva Mexico in 2009 :) :) See you guys in my backyard (sort of)----MEXICALI!!!