27 Waterfalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
drloca, bad things happen to tourists or foreigners residents, you can deny it.
We are not used to them and don't know how to react. When I see that happened, first thing coming to my mind is "are these local people stupid, or what ? ". The annoying thing is that it happens on the streets, main streets, and other public places, not hidden and infamous barios. Go to PP in central park and try to rest for a few minutes. You'll be "intercepted" by lots of insisting locals with most strange requests, all related to money.
I believe that you misinterpreted drloca's post.
The objection is the use of the word "vermin".
It's rather discriminatory, don't you think?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
drloca, bad things happen to tourists or foreigners residents, you can deny it.
We are not used to them and don't know how to react. When I see that happened, first thing coming to my mind is "are these local people stupid, or what ? ". The annoying thing is that it happens on the streets, main streets, and other public places, not hidden, infamous barios. Go to PP in central park and try to rest for a few minutes. You'll be "intercepted" by lots of insisting locals with most strange requests, all related to money.

Which "utopia" do you live in? If bad things happen to tourists on a scale you seem to be familiar with, why do soooo many tourists visit each year, many multiple times? When people are street-smart ANYWHERE in the world, the risk of becoming a "victim" is drastically reduced.
Just because some local people may take their chances in getting a buck or two out of you, doesnt make them scary, bad or a criminal...that is a universal concept amongst the have-nots!

Also, calling them "stupid" is not only insilting, but grossly inaccurate based on the story you relate.

I sometimes wonder if some of you people go to the DR on a "mission" to find negative points and be critical.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007

Maybe not discriminatory, more of emotional, I'd say. When you are harassed/attacked by strangers and you can do nothing, how you'd react ? And is that feeling of lack of capacity to respond from your part, which the harassers know about. If I had been harassed/attacked a few time, I would have learned how to react, but if it's the first time, which is the case for most of the tourists, than it's hard, emotionally unconfortable.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Which "utopia" do you live in? If bad things happen to tourists on a scale you seem to be familiar with, why do soooo many tourists visit each year, many multiple times? When people are street-smart ANYWHERE in the world, the risk of becoming a "victim" is drastically reduced.
Just because some local people may take their chances in getting a buck or two out of you, doesnt make them scary, bad or a criminal...that is a universal concept amongst the have-nots!

Also, calling them "stupid" is not only insilting, but grossly inaccurate based on the story you relate.

I sometimes wonder if some of you people go to the DR on a "mission" to find negative points and be critical.

How would you call a guy who's trying to get a buck or two from you, and ends up shooting at you ?

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007

Hey, I love DR, and I like to interact with normal locals, like me, not thieves and crooks. I'll be there on "mission" in March, lol.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Maybe not discriminatory, more of emotional, I'd say. When you are harassed/attacked by strangers and you can do nothing, how you'd react ? And is that feeling of lack of capacity to respond from your part, which the harassers know about. If I had been harassed/attacked a few time, I would have learned how to react, but if it's the first time, which is the case for most of the tourists, than it's hard, emotionally inconfortable.
I hate being harassed as much as the next guy, but you keep on going off topic.
Drloca objected to the word "vermin", as do I.
You certainly don't need to explain to me about being harassed by people in the street.
Heck, I've been living here since 1991.
I could hardly have missed being harassed.
And in my world travels, I've been harassed to the point that I considered biffing some of these dudes.
But this is not the subject of the post that I made, which you are quoting.
It's about calling them vermin.
It's harsh, incorrect and discriminatory.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hey, I love DR, and I like to interact with normal locals, like me, not thieves and crooks. I'll be there on "mission" in March, lol.

Sorry dude but by whose definition are you "normal"???? That is the thing that makes travel interesting...for us "normal" folks...we get to interact with all kinds of different people...if you are not up for this, you are better of staying at home. It is people like you that bring a lot of these "problems" upon yourselves that us "normal" tourists dont run into...irrespective of your country of origin.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I hate being harassed as much as the next guy, but you keep on going off topic.
Drloca objected to the word "vermin", as do I.
You certainly don't need to explain to me about being harassed by people in the street.
Heck, I've been living here since 1991.
I could hardly have missed being harassed.
And in my world travels, I've been harassed to the point that I considered biffing some of these dudes.
But this is not the subject of the post that I made, which you are quoting.
It's about calling them vermin.
It's harsh, incorrect and discriminatory.

You're right, Rocky. But, drloca touched other sides too, which maybe blinded me. Apologies.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Sorry dude but by whose definition are you "normal"???? That is the thing that makes travel interesting...for us "normal" folks...we get to interact with all kinds of different people...if you are not up for this, you are better of staying at home. It is people like you that bring a lot of these "problems" upon yourselves that us "normal" tourists dont run into...irrespective of your country of origin.

You asked the question, you answered.
I'm learning every day, I guess. It's a good experience.
Cheers.

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
27 waterfalls

Hi everybody, Thank you for your input. Please keep it up. Just so you know I posted the following in English and Spanish to the company e-mail info@27charcos.com Please join and support us in writing to the company and expressing your outrage and disgust at Billy's behavior. All of us have a mother, daughter, sister or loved one who could be the next victim. As Rocky said, the way to hurt Billy is his wallet. Thank you for your support. I wanted let you people know what a positive and negative exp. that our group had at the 27 Waterfalls. What a great place to visit and explore. We (4ppl) two adults and 2 teenagers hired a guide named Billy. Billy at first was polite and cheerful with all of us. We only did the first 7 waterfalls but, enjoyed it very much. At one point I heard Billy refer to my son (who has Aspbergers Syndrome a form of Autisim) as "Loco" to another guide. I had explained to Billy before the trip that he had Autismo Especial. This explanation has worked well in the past with many other wonderful Dominicans. I let it slide because my son speaks no Spanish. When we returned to the staging area we tipped Billy the equal of 8 U.S. dollars in Peso's. This worked out to be roughly 23% or more of the trip price. He had the gall to come up to us and say "Whats this? Whats This? I was taken aback at his rude behavior. I explained that I had felt it was enough and only had large U.S bills. He told me that I should go get change. He also pointed to some big Dominican guy who was staring at us and said "he is not happy". Having worked in the Justice System in the U.S. I was not too intimidated by this cheap behavior. Billy gave the attempt up after a few seconds with "No Problemo". What really bothered me after we left is that my girlfriends daughter told us on the way back to our hotel that Billy had made open physical advances on her despite being told that she was engaged and was not interested several times. She said that he had grabbed her, tried to hug her, hold her hand, told her he liked her white skin and tried to touch her numerous times and pulled cheap crap like, "if you do not sleep with me you are racist against Dom. Men". He also told her at the very last "do not tell your Momma cause she would be mad". I WISH I had known this before we left your site. Although I wanted to go back, the girls did not want too at all. They wanted to avoid any confrontation. I can understand the embarressment Jessica would feel. I also know that you as a good company do not want or tolerate this kind of behavior. It is not my goal to go to the Newspapers or Policehere or at home. I belive that you can handle this in a proper way. I also do not want to post pictures of Billy to warn others unless I have to. My question to you, is what are you going to do about this? Please respond soon. Thank you for your attention to this insulting matter. Joe

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

Actually Rocky, it was Berzin who first came up with "that word"!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Actually Rocky, it was Berzin who first came up with "that word"!
Yes, I know.
Andrew objected to your objection, and I responded.

PS: I'm not looking for battles, nor am I upset.
Just trying to dissuade discriminatory or racist remarks.
We all know that there's a lot of rifraf around tourist towns, but we mustn't get carried away either.
It's the same throughout the world.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes, I know.
Andrew objected to your objection, and I responded.

PS: I'm not looking for battles, nor am I upset.
Just trying to dissuade discriminatory or racist remarks.
We all know that there's a lot of rifraf around tourist towns, but we mustn't get carried away either.
It's the same throughout the world.

Maybe some people dont know that there is a big wide world out there!

And thanks for being on the same page!

J

John Evans

Im still available for molesting duties - perhaps he would get the point if he was touched up by someone unwelcome

Hi everybody, Thank you for your input. Please keep it up. Just so you know I posted the following in English and Spanish to the company e-mail info@27charcos.com Please join and support us in writing to the company and expressing your outrage and disgust at Billy's behavior. All of us have a mother, daughter, sister or loved one who could be the next victim. As Rocky said, the way to hurt Billy is his wallet. Thank you for your support. I wanted let you people know what a positive and negative exp. that our group had at the 27 Waterfalls. What a great place to visit and explore. We (4ppl) two adults and 2 teenagers hired a guide named Billy. Billy at first was polite and cheerful with all of us. We only did the first 7 waterfalls but, enjoyed it very much. At one point I heard Billy refer to my son (who has Aspbergers Syndrome a form of Autisim) as "Loco" to another guide. I had explained to Billy before the trip that he had Autismo Especial. This explanation has worked well in the past with many other wonderful Dominicans. I let it slide because my son speaks no Spanish. When we returned to the staging area we tipped Billy the equal of 8 U.S. dollars in Peso's. This worked out to be roughly 23% or more of the trip price. He had the gall to come up to us and say "Whats this? Whats This? I was taken aback at his rude behavior. I explained that I had felt it was enough and only had large U.S bills. He told me that I should go get change. He also pointed to some big Dominican guy who was staring at us and said "he is not happy". Having worked in the Justice System in the U.S. I was not too intimidated by this cheap behavior. Billy gave the attempt up after a few seconds with "No Problemo". What really bothered me after we left is that my girlfriends daughter told us on the way back to our hotel that Billy had made open physical advances on her despite being told that she was engaged and was not interested several times. She said that he had grabbed her, tried to hug her, hold her hand, told her he liked her white skin and tried to touch her numerous times and pulled cheap crap like, "if you do not sleep with me you are racist against Dom. Men". He also told her at the very last "do not tell your Momma cause she would be mad". I WISH I had known this before we left your site. Although I wanted to go back, the girls did not want too at all. They wanted to avoid any confrontation. I can understand the embarressment Jessica would feel. I also know that you as a good company do not want or tolerate this kind of behavior. It is not my goal to go to the Newspapers or Policehere or at home. I belive that you can handle this in a proper way. I also do not want to post pictures of Billy to warn others unless I have to. My question to you, is what are you going to do about this? Please respond soon. Thank you for your attention to this insulting matter. Joe

If the owner of this company is an Dominican. He shall give you never answer.
Why you put not the picture here from Billy?

jallen

Dec 18, 2004
Sorry if the e-mail address was incorrect. Here is the complete address. <info@27charcos.com> Following is the company response.

Dear Joe,

I am very sorry for your bad experience at the 27 Charcos. I have made the
Administrator of the Park as well as the guide association president aware
of the situation and action will be taken. Thank you for your feedback as
it will enable us to stop these situations from ever happening again.

- 27 charcos

Status
Not open for further replies.