27 Waterfalls

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I wanted to go to 27 Waterfalls, but never did. I've read as much as I can about it since, and hope to go there the next time I'm in the DR.

My dad will be in Puerto Plata Wednesday and I have recommended the Damajagua Falls to him. He is 62 and in excellent shape. I told him not go if it had been raining a lot, to take pictures if he can, and to just use common sense.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
It was better before the guides and gringos came.... When I did it my friends and I had to pick up our guides and our brugal at the same sugar cane field colmado. That should be the initiation to staying on the island more than a week at an AI.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We have done the waterfalls twice (only the bottom 7). The first time, with my wife, daughter about 8 years old and son 16 and myself, is considered by all of us to be the most fun we have had anywhere. It is really natures waterslides and only one jump was necessary on the last (bottom) waterfall of about 8 to 10 feet. the rest could be slid down if jumping was not your thing. My daughter was the first one up behind the guides and the first one down and although she is a good swimmer, she is not prone to jumping off high places although she had so much fun that day she went back up a couple of falls when the guides made the offer to jump off again.
The second time we went it was with my wife, myself a couple of friends but was after a lot of rain. It was definitely a mistake and was dangerous.
To sum it up, if not recent rains and the water levels are low, by all means go and have a blast. It will be one of the best times you can have. If heavy recent rains, stay away until the water levels go down.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Years ago, one just hiked and went, following a trail.

Now guides, helmets and flotation are required. As well as "warning" signs everywhere.

It's still a fantastic place, one of THE BEST experiences of my life, but not for some.

Actually about 5 years ago a young boy who was not hiking (Adam) was killed and after that helmets were issued.
About 2 years ago a very fit young (early 40s) fit couple were killed in front of thier two teen age boys.
Since then NOTHING has been done to improve safety there). If you want to PM me I will be happy to share the unbelievabble and gory details. Until then get your facts straight.

Bob K

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I have never been to the 27 Waterfalls but it has been on my list. Until reading this thread, I had never even considered the possible safety issues because it seems like so many people I know have visited (and returned). But reading this thread makes me wonder how old a child ought to be before 27 Waterfalls would be safe?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ginza, it all depends.
i would say like this. if the weather is great and has been great for at least two weeks (water is low), if parents are good swimmers and strong enough to give a hand when necessary, if a kid is a good swimmer and has a positive, adventurous attitude then you could take a child of 10 with you, easily. just remember to use all precautions, wear helmets, jackets and water shoes and use your own judgement (jump or not).

cobraboy is about the size and strength of an angry hulk :) he'd manage to face tsunami. that does not mean this trip can be done by just anyone. even thou some posters say "if i could do it, so can you", even if could do it myself - does not mean anyone can.

bob k has some reason too. he has seen from up close how bad things can go there. it is, in a way, like parachute jumping: i know many people who did that and i also knew a young woman, who landed badly on her first single jump and broke nearly every single bone in her lower body, a miracle she can walk.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
it is, in a way, like parachute jumping: i know many people who did that and i also knew a young woman, who landed badly on her first single jump and broke nearly every single bone in her lower body, a miracle she can walk.

I would have a heart attack even before i land!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd probably just keep on floating as a human shell after barfing all my insides... :)

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Is the a trail right beside the falls so one could hike all the 27 up and down without getting wet and still enjoy the scenery ?
I quess I had no problems doing the real thing, but I risk my luck already enough in other ways in the DR ;-)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I will be doing this tour soon. I am thinking about taking my outdoor waterproof Gopro HD camera with me, I saw one of the people with one mounted on their helmet. Do they allow you to bring your own helmet?

Also, is there a way to get to the start with a private ATV, or do you have to walk to the site like everybody else?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Actually about 5 years ago a young boy who was not hiking (Adam) was killed and after that helmets were issued.
About 2 years ago a very fit young (early 40s) fit couple were killed in front of thier two teen age boys.
Since then NOTHING has been done to improve safety there). If you want to PM me I will be happy to share the unbelievabble and gory details. Until then get your facts straight.

Bob K
How about sharing the story and the gory details, Bob. Why hold back truth? In my video i posted, we have a 7 year old girl with us, and for the life of me--and i do not say this lightly--i cannot think of one single thing that is even remotely dangerous about this trip.

I send customers--all age groups--from the restaurant to 27 waterfalls every day--week after week--and never had anyone come back and not claim to have had a fantastic time. the only regret i've ever heard was people telling me that that they regret not taking a video camera or regular camera with them (it must be somewhat water proof).

My only question for you Bob is this: Have you done the 27 waterfalls yet?

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Bob K
How about sharing the story and the gory details, Bob. Why hold back truth? In my video i posted, we have 7 year old girl who did it with us, and for the life of me--an i do not say this lightly--i cannot think of one single thing that is even remotely dangerous about this trip--except for maybe the drive there on Dominican highway 5.

I send customers--all age groups, sexual preferences & diversions, weights, and heights--including midgets--from the restaurant where i work every single day--week after week--and never had anyone come back and not claim to have had a fantastic time. the only regret i've ever heard was people telling me that that they regret not taking a video camera or regular camera with them (it must be somewhat water proof).

My only question for you Bob is this: Have you done the 27 waterfalls yet?

Frank

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Have not done it, will not do it, will not reccomend it to any one. If you want the details do a search on the subject it is all there.
End of comments from me

Bob K

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Have not done it, will not do it, will not reccomend it to any one. If you want the details do a search on the subject it is all there.
End of comments from me

Bob K

Ok, Bob, you'll excuse me for asking this...if you have never tried them and seen for yourself how benign they are, why on earth would you have this intimate fear of them?

You mention a young boy died, someone else mentioned a couple dying, but again, for the life of me, i cannot think of anything "life threatening" about the falls--the guides are there helping you every step of the way, there are people in their 60's doing them, their are people in their pre-teens doing them--we took a 7 year old girl with us. On any given day, there are dozens and dozens of people doing this trip--they bus them in like cattle! there must be hundreds of people doing these 27 waterfalls every week--certainly every month.

Do the math. Let's say there is only 100 people doing these 27 water falls a week (i'm sure it's much more, there were more than 60 people there every time i've gone)...every year it would be 5200, every ten years it would be around 60,000 people. And yet, only a few people have died. Bob, you have a much greater chance being struck by a car and killed, drowning, having a coronary during sex, getting into a vehicle accident crossing Santo Domingo during rush hour and being killed.

I'm tempted to come and pick you up and take you myself so that you can see and experience how benign they are.

That video i shot at the beginning of this thread...i hand held that video camera during the whole trip--including climbing up and down every single water fall with it in my hand or mouth because it is not water proof. i couldn't allow it to get wet, which means i was climbing up and down and swimming with one arm while holding the camera in one hand--i'm nearly 50 years old and not once did i feel there was any fear of something going wrong other than mooning people behind me.

FRank

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
Do they closed the falls now if rains for many days .This is my worry if they tell you when we should not do this.
I do not think your moon would be my problem.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Frank you are in a dream world for sure. When you bring two young boys into your home and console them and thier family from the US all night about how thier parents died for lack of safety or training at the falls. Then come and share a beer with me.Until then keep them rose colored glasses on.

And this is my final comment I promise!

Bob K

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank you are in a dream world for sure. When you bring two young boys into your home and console them and thier family from the US all night about how thier parents died for lack of safety or training at the falls. Then come and share a beer with me.Until then keep them rose colored glasses on.

And this is my final comment I promise!

Bob K

Fair enough, Bob, tell me...what time should i come by and pick you up? Let's be two old men facing our fears together--you facing the 27 waterfalls, me mooning you as i climb in front. We can do it together! We maybe old, Bob, but are we not still virile, energetic, in the prime of our adult years? Is it too late to face what we fear most--nudity, embarrassment, and water.

Let's set our fears aside for a moment, shall we, and face what every man has to face at some point in his life: Fate. Fear not, Bob, i am in the same boat as you, and every time we leave home and drive to the supermarket in this country, are we not tempting fate to some degree? Are we not more likely to die in a car accident then to drown at the waterfalls?

Give me the time and date, and i will swing by and pick you up. afterwords, i will take off my rose colored glasses and we can drink a beer together on the beach and watch girls parade up and down the promenade while looking through my kaleidoscope that i keep behind the bar. We can regal each other with tales of misspent youth, unrequited love and my fear of fat girls.

love frank

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Do they closed the falls now if rains for many days .This is my worry if they tell you when we should not do this.
I do not think your moon would be my problem.

When I did the falls a year or so ago it had been raining quite a lot so we were only allowed to do the bottom twelve (I think) falls, which was quite enough for me. When we arrived there were not enough shoes to go around for some reason so I went in my regular sandals. The guide was kind enough to advise me: "You gonna slip!" and he was right - I had fallen over twice and was covered in mud - before we got to the first fall!

As a pretty fit guy for my 50-something years old, I managed OK, but had a few bruises by the end and was glad we didn't do more than the twelve falls. I won't be going again, but the people I was with enjoyed it and I would think that anyone sub-30 who is not scared of heights or water would too.