28% of pregnant dominicanas are teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Wish this held true here instead of congratulations for impregnating a child.

It's been going on for so long that it has been engrained into being normalcy............
Very sad.........And nothing will stop this cycle.........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Actually, before 17, girls are likely to have more problems with childbirth.
The government should provide contraceptives. It would benefit the county in the long run.
Not that I expect this to happen.

salud publica provides free condoms and other forms of birth control. you only need to get there. besides, the cheapest pill costs about 100 pesos which is 10 pampers. any form of protection is cheaper than having a child.

Aug 6, 2006
I did not know that. I am surprised, I assumed the Church had more influence than that.
You are entirely correct about the costs of Pampers and condoms.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
SO who should be having the babies? The over 40 crowd? The female body is made to have babies at about 15 or so years of age. So why not? WHy wait? What will it gain the kids?

The same criteria worldwide. If they can't provide the resources necessary for a child to achieve their maximum potential thend they should not be making them. That includes food and shelter and parenting skills and ... . older parents generally have more of those.

The Catholic church will not permit birth control because it will reduce future membership. That would be like Nacional encouraging eating less or eating only healthy.

Aug 6, 2006
Most Catholic women pay no attention to the Church about birth control. If they don't take the pill it is because they can't afford it, are drunk, consumed with passion or some other reason. The birth rate in Catholic developed countries (Italy, Spain, Argentina) is about the same as in Protestant ones.

The Church simply follows tradition, as it does with the medieval dress and liturgy. Religion tends to be the most traditional sort of phenomena there is in most societies.

May 29, 2006
Anyone know what Birth Control is available in the DR besides condoms and the Pill? What about the patch and depo provera shots? I think I've seen ads for a once a month pill there.

Many forms of BC seem to cost around a buck a day. I don't think you can raise a kid on $365/year, even in the DR..

===
Teen walks into a drug store looking to buy condoms for the first time. He seems a bit overwhelmed by all the choices so a pharmacist comes over to help.

"Why are there so many sized boxes?"

"Well son, you've got the three packs. That's for kids your age and through college. You take a girl home for the night and by the next morning, you use up all three condoms.

Then you've got the thirty pack. That's for a guy who's got a steady girlfriend. Some days you use two and some days you skip. That lasts about a month."

"What about the 12 packs?"

"Oh that's for married couples~ it's a year's supply.."

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Do you seriously think that this is what they sit around and discuss at the Capitol?

They may not talk about it in the Capitol but they laugh about it in the 1st class cabin en route to Madrid and on the golf course in Miami.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Anyone know what Birth Control is available in the DR besides condoms and the Pill? What about the patch and depo provera shots? I think I've seen ads for a once a month pill there.

the most popular contraception method in DR is the mercy of the lord. which explains high number of teenage pregnancies. the second is female sterilization, which is routinely done after second or third child, often during c-section. most of adult dominican women i know are sterilized. then there is a pill. other methods are less popular but yes, there is once a month pill and contraceptive injections too. day after pill is also very popular and sold everywhere over the counter.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
the most popular contraception method in DR is the mercy of the lord. which explains high number of teenage pregnancies. the second is female sterilization, which is routinely done after second or third child, often during c-section. most of adult dominican women i know are sterilized. then there is a pill. other methods are less popular but yes, there is once a month pill and contraceptive injections too. day after pill is also very popular and sold everywhere over the counter.

Oh you mean the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) method........Pull out on time.
:eek:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think dominicans feel that busting a load of baby batter inside the poon is the best part. when i said "mercy of the lord" i meant shagging like rabbits and counting on pure luck because most women here have no idea about female cycle.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Do you seriously think that this is what they sit around and discuss at the Capitol?

They don't have to it's been already put in motion. The issue is are they trying to stop and reverse the trend. I'll let the evidence speak for itself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THAT, is REALLY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!
Most of the teenage girls working as prostitutes here in the DR have babies being taken care of by their Mami's.
Soooooooooooooooooooooo the more pregnant teenagers the larger to potential ?Pro-Pool?!!!
You do the MATH!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just like ?Doritos? says,...?Crunch All You Want, We'll make MORE!!!!!

The ?Pope?, the DR gov., EVEN the Cabanas, can hand out all the FREE Condoms they want, they don't work sitting in a trash can, which is where they end up!!!!!
?Macho Dominicanos? don't use them, and the girls don't make them!!!!

Its ONLY the fault of the two INTERESTED parties!
Grey wants to blame ?OTHERS?,.. ?Baby Daddy? mentality!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
THAT, is REALLY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!
Most of the teenage girls working as prostitutes here in the DR have babies being taken care of by their Mami's.
Soooooooooooooooooooooo the more pregnant teenagers the larger to potential ?Pro-Pool?!!!
You do the MATH!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just like ?Doritos? says,...?Crunch All You Want, We'll make MORE!!!!!

The ?Pope?, the DR gov., EVEN the Cabanas, can hand out all the FREE Condoms they want, they don't work sitting in a trash can, which is where they end up!!!!!
?Macho Dominicanos? don't use them, and the girls don't make them!!!!

Its ONLY the fault of the two INTERESTED parties!
Grey wants to blame ?OTHERS?,.. ?Baby Daddy? mentality!!!
Unlike you, I don't want to "BLAME" anyone. I'd like to see a serious effort on the part of communities there to educate, employ and empower their young Women rather than buy into that same old misogyny routine their grandmothers suffered through. Education includes their knowledge of their own physiology which is every bit as important as the 3-R's if no more.

It doesn't take wads of money from the government coffers to accomplish this, it takes concerned leadership.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
unfortunately, zero. They do what they can before giving into what others who are stuck tell them they need to do. Saddens me because they are defeated before they get a chance to figure things out. Its a Vicious cycle.

Actually many of them attend high school and university. As far as getting a proper job I don't think most o you have any ide of how much competition there is for proper jobs in the DR.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I am glad that I have been shooting blanks for the last 22 years. Those who make the babies for whatever reasons should
be responsible for the babies. Expats or Dominicans.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah. Sure they do.

I know a number of girls that are now accountants, school teachers, lawyers...etc that had children as teenagers and went on to finish school. We have several women working for us that fit that profile. Almost all of them got pregnant by Dominican guys ten years older or so. I would say it was doubtful any of them were working girls. The whole country is not the north coast or Boca Chica.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No, but try a head shot to all Dominican men trying to take advantage of a menor... :cool:

But all this with getting children is too deep in their culture and too "normal" for everybody here. Being a couple month now w/ my GF and her mother and tias and sisters are already imaging how our kids will look like...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There are many folks who "lurk" on this site and many of them have negative things to say about it. This post is a prime example. You take a "real" problem (teenage pregnancy) and it evolves into the usual talk about Putas and such. chic speaks up to say he's said "no" to 12 year olds and the talk goes on. The second page has some good thoughts but do any of you think that teenage pregnancy here has anything to do with the crap going on in your minds and posts? Teenage pregnancy and Hair stylists? Really? Putas and teenage pregnancy, really? No.

Teenage pregnancy is not a puta problem, it is a national problem.

Here's what it is from ground zero: It's about opportunity and boredom! Let me put it this way.
Tio and Tia have a decent home in the country. The teenage daughters cook, clean and bring water from the river. Family slavers, if you will. No Luz, very little TV and zero internet. What do the girls do? Well first off they know that their well developed bodies mean something and secondly they want to get out of the house or at least get better footing in the house. So they go to the river with a Tigre and boom the seed starts.

Being pregnant at 15 or so gives them "status" and less work at home. Their hope is that the guy gives them their own home. Good luck with that, but sometimes, yes. But they now have more status with the child. If the papa is gringo, Bingo!. Now this doesn't stop them from getting a job or education it just changes or delays everything a bit. The schools in el campo aren't churning out scientists anyway. So we move to the city or near the city.

Tia has room or Abuela in the ciy and there are more Tigres to be found. The baby (s) have a village of support and the young mom might be getting out of her "slavery' of being the house maid. As they mature, the young mothers have choices to make and some get real jobs and/or education and yes some go down the path of the oldest profession, but few do. Living in the city gives them a few more options to earn or grow but also the options to breed more. This is where the road curves and this is where the help is needed. If more young moms had an option, they would take it. If not, they breed more and stay local or go to Boca Chica, et al to pay for the milk/pampers.

My kids have a 15 y/o cousin with 2 kids. She has learned that she works less and can breed more, somehow food gets to the table but she has zero future as anything. An 18 y/o nephew impregnated a 14 y/o and 3 years later she has 2 kids by two guys. Neither guy pays much, if anything, but the village supports her and the kids. So what do we say, yes, the system of support is corrupt but how does it change? 15 years at hard labor? Don't think so.

It takes a cultural change that allows education and opportunity. Simply said, harder done.

Status
Not open for further replies.