4 days until Santo Domingo trip and nowhere to stay....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I believe that I am going to book that place today. I've already spoken to her and she seems really sweet.
The drawback is that it's in an outlying neighbourhood, unlike Bettye's and Yu - both of which are in central locations.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the problem is that your budget is low for Santo Domingo-- or really the country at large

the bare minimum prices for a good clean safe hotel is close to 1000 pesos or $27 a night

your budget comes in at 815 pesos a day which is just a shade low

my advise is that you either skip SD and go right up to LT where you can find a decent room for 700,.or you put a bit more on the Credit card advance

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Boca Chica stay

Just wondering, what is there to do in Boca Chica? I've heard of Sousa and Punta Canta <---I think thats how its spelled. But not the area that you refer to. Is it an area for tourists? Or mostly families?

Boca Chica is one of the oldest tourist destination places in The Dom. Rep. If you want to travel from east to west or even north to south, this is a great location to so because it is near the highway that and bus tops going to the most popular destinations in the country. It is also about 15 minutes from the Int. airport and about 30 minutes from the capital. The beach also is not too bad. La Boca Chica - YouTube.

Boca Chica, I think, is not the prettiest beach or small town in the country but it is very convenient for transportation and you can stay for an affordable price. Good luck.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Boca Chica is one of the oldest tourist destination places in The Dom. Rep. If you want to travel from east to west or even north to south, this is a great location to so because it is near the highway that and bus tops going to the most popular destinations in the country. It is also about 15 minutes from the Int. airport and about 30 minutes from the capital. The beach also is not too bad. La Boca Chica - YouTube.

Boca Chica, I think, is not the prettiest beach or small town in the country but it is very convenient for transportation and you can stay for an affordable price. Good luck.

well I have friends who have family there and admit that there are some good folks in Boca

but for the most part

it is a whore house

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The best of what I saw here was Plaza Yu..it is centric, it is walking (safe walking distance) from a lot of the nice places in Santo Domingo and cheap taxi rides to the hot spots. Apollo Taxi would know that area and it is really no more than 10-15 minute rides to any of the nice things to see and do...

The Mi Casa Tu Casa is nice for someone like me who knows the city and has a car and would not be daunted by the remoteness of the area with respect to center city where I would be doing my business...

In this case: Plaza Yu...hands down.

HB

boga

Nov 16, 2011
Hi Everyone!
I am flying out of Atlanta to the DR on February 1st and I have NOT been able to find an inexpensive, safe place via internet. ALot of the places that Ive researched have mixed reviews. I don't want to be homeless when I get there!!! I am looking for one bedroom in Santo Domingo and I am a female traveling solo. This will be my first time in the country so I want somewhere relative to the community. I am staying for 2 weeks and want to spend about $300US. I would even be willing to rent a room or in law suite from a family. Please help!
Also, any suggestions about what to do while there? I want to really experience the country, where should I go?
Thanks for your help!

try this site... you can find a lot of little hotels/B&Bs that you wouldnt find on flipkey/vrbo etc:

Hotels, Resort, Apart-Hotels, Guest-House and Guide - Dominican Republic.

Whenever I've visited Santo Domingo i've stayed in the Colonial Zone. It's pricey though. I'm a woman so I can be a tad picky :). But I usually spend $50 to $65/night. The last time i was there in June, I tried to find something cheaper (1000 pesos/ $25) and ran into a lot of cockroaches and dirt. Ended up negotiating with a hotel whose rates were 2500/night. I got them down to 1700. I don't remember the name of it but it was in the Colonial Zone next to a Cathedral on a brick road.

Great city though. Enjoy!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Moral of the story: preparing a trip is as important as the trip itself. To be honest, it is as exciting as the trip itself sometimes :)

There are a wealth of info available, forums (lonelyplanet is great for budget traveler), guidebooks and so on......

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
well I have friends who have family there and admit that there are some good folks in Boca

but for the most part

it is a whore house

Thanks for your posting, Moutainannie. I lived in San Pedro de Macoris, when I was growing up, which is about haft hour from there and have to admit that I have not visited BC since I was a kid. Back then, 25 years ago though, prostitution was not out in the open in BC. It is a shame if that is the case now a days because that was very nice, fun little town when I was growing up.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks for your posting, Moutainannie. I lived in San Pedro de Macoris, when I was growing up, which is about haft hour from there and have to admit that I have not visited BC since I was a kid. Back then, 25 years ago though, prostitution was not out in the open in BC. It is a shame if that is the case now a days because that was very nice, fun little town when I was growing up.

well Andres is still a nice little town but there are not really any hotels in which to stay

guayacanes is great as well but ditto on the hotel.. think that the one that is there that was owned by a Canadian drug dealer is going to be opening up but not as of yet

i did walk by the Hostal Yu in Gazcue on my way to Movie Max and they said that they would lower their base price from 1000 pesos to 800 for a two week stay

this would be my best recommendation for a single woman

it is a very respectable aparthotel, family owned... no girls allowed in rooms, small little cafeteria for breakfast but all the rooms have some sort of kitchen

two blocks from la cadena

close to easy transport on Independencia and Bolivar
safe to walk from there to the Zona .. even at night -- on Santiago or Bolivar

best bet

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Las Terrenas has several hostels from $20 a night. In the Campo it it is cheaper $10 per night. There is pleny of nature, nighltlife, beachlife, kiteboarding etc.etc. Santo Domingo has history but probably not enough for 14 nights. Like everywhere the capital is more expensive and can be difficult to get round. It might be worth reading up on areas such as Cabarete, Bayahibe, Las Terrenas etc. and also inland districts in the mountains. The hostel sites can give information on budget hostels. Coach fares between resorts are not expensive approx 5-10 dollars. If you are arriving late afternoon Boca Chica could be considered a first stop. It is not far from the airport. Expect Dominican food in Dominican restaurants and specials at some other restraurants to be 2 to 3 dollars a plate ; however in the tourist areas of SD this will be higher.

pi2

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
If staying in SD, I suggest CZ.
Security ( Police 24/7 )

Electricty ( Most of the time)

Centrally Located ( you can walk to most places )

Maybe just, maybe you'll find a place with hot water for bathing ( My personal gripe with this country )

English Spoken in most of the Businesses ( Not that much though )
Hope you speak spanish? watch out for un-licensend translators.

Taxis will be your biggest daily exspense, use APOLLO taxis, NEVER DRIVE!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I googled hotels in Santo Domingo and came up a more than a few options with cheap prices. Why did you not do the same?

S