4 days until Santo Domingo trip and nowhere to stay....

JameelahAtl

Oct 25, 2011
How far away are the outlying neighborhoods?

When you say outlying, about how far can I expect to have to travel to get to the city? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When you say outlying, about how far can I expect to have to travel to get to the city? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

Have you ever bothered to looked @ a map of Santo Domingo?
It is a HUGE city!
It could take an hour from one end to the other or longer in traffic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
At least 20 mins drive to the modern commercial city centre (the areas around Lincoln, Churchill, JFK, 27 de Febrero avenues), over 30 mins from Plaza de la Cultura (museums, etc.) About 40 mins from Colonial Zone/Malecon area. This will vary depending on traffic, and you will have to take taxis for everything. Nothing is within walking distance, except maybe for the Botanical Gardens but it will still be a trek.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
well Andres is still a nice little town but there are not really any hotels in which to stay

guayacanes is great as well but ditto on the hotel.. think that the one that is there that was owned by a Canadian drug dealer is going to be opening up but not as of yet

Actually there is/ was a small hotel in Andres, "Aparta Hotel Rey Par" a couple blocks up from the Zar Par Marina. They are/ were Dominican owned and quoted 1000RD/ night. 1 BR apts with kitchen (regular size refrigerators and 4 burner stovetops).

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Jameelah,

My advice is simple - you have a budget that would make sense if you either 1) followed Hillbilly's advice and went to Santiago instead, or 2) cut the duration of your trip from 14 to 7 days.

You'd still get to see a lot of the city (or country, if you're feeling more adventurous), have a lot more fun and not have to count every peso.

Good luck, and be careful.