40 floor hard rock hotel to be built in SD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Because everything is on a future mode for the DR. The now won't change much, unless you reprogram your perception to only take one or two shots per thing over a span of a decade to see the changes actually happened.

The ZC project has only but started, it will take some years for it to really get enough participants to make it happen as an attraction for tourists.

Local designers? A plenty! Very god ones at that too. I know you don't know much of this because you have yet to involved yourself with a SD Moda event. It's huge and growing each year even more.

You can actually dress from local designers yea-round without ever donning the clothes a second time. Same for shoes and articles. Very cheap compared to other brands from abroad and already well known.

Restaurants? They are in a industry that lives and dies by the whims of the palate in clients.
You should go out more and see that the industry has changed a LOT in SD from the past as it was.

It's hit and miss and it's better to shut a failure than to try and make people return for a new taste a second time around.
It's a part of the industry.

SD is changing all around, but more so in the ZC.

Tailored clothes has forever been a part of DR culture. Only that now you got people that design trendier cuts and can print their name on the attached labels unlike before.

SD as a brand source will continue to grow ever more. Not only for haute couture, but for other industries as well, let alone Music.

So says the guy who lives in Florida, but claims to have his finger on the pulse of the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen to Mauricio, lives here, works here, raising his family here, and unlike "The PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP boy" has no political, or any other agenda!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We are all going to get colon cancer from ''''''''P'BOY BLOWING SO MUCH SMOKE UP OUR a$$es!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
...what makes me question the honesty of builders in this country are news like this one: http://hoy.com.do/urgen-medidas-antisismicas-locales-escuelas-hospitales/, the fact that I also saw with my own eyes how some buildings came down during the middle one that hit Puerto Plata in 2003, and how the fact that the use of Haitian quasi slave labor, isn't the only aspect in which builders defraud the people advancing the dole on any given project in this country.
None of what you say is relevant to my post. One thing is a public building which is owned by the state (which means everyone but no one in particular) and another is a private development in which investors are risking tens of millions of USD. The investors and their banks and insurance companies have plenty of direct incentives to make sure the buildings are reasonably earthquake resistant, as I explained to you, and the vast majority of towers are private ventures. Investors/banks/insurers may also hire supervisors (local or foreign) who are different from the company doing the actual construction.

Of course, that is not to say that if the building is well-designed and built it will withstand any and every earthquake that comes its way. However, the buildings that are at the most risk are improvised constructions done with little or no technical supervision from anyone. Those are a disaster waiting to happen.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The DR is "known" for drug dealers and "Ho's", not much else!!!
Ungrateful idiot, if you are going to attack the country that has given refuge to you at least have the decency of using something that is true. Then again, if you knew what decency is you wouldn't be attacking the place that has given you refuge, to begin with.

The DR is the preeminent tourist destination in the Caribbean, which can be proven in multiple ways with hard numbers, and people know it as such. In case you didn't know it, Bachata is also quite popular worldwide (as was merengue a few decades ago) and people know the DR for that reason also. Those who like baseball have another reason, and so on.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ungrateful idiot, if you are going to attack the country that has given refuge to you at least have the decency of using something that is true. Then again, if you knew what decency is you wouldn't be attacking the place that has given you refuge, to begin with.

The DR is the preeminent tourist destination in the Caribbean, which can be proven in multiple ways with hard numbers, and people know it as such. In case you didn't know it, Bachata is also quite popular worldwide (as was merengue a few decades ago) and people know the DR for that reason also. Those who like baseball have another reason, and so on.

Virgo, as your name suggests (virgin), DO NOT pay much mind to CCC when he writes posts like that. He is trying to push buttons and is succeeding.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo, as your name suggests (virgin), DO NOT pay much mind to CCC when he writes posts like that. He is trying to push buttons and is succeeding.
What boggles my mind is that this sort of OBVIOUSLY improper conduct, completely obvious trolling provocations, is tolerated even when the perpetrator is known to do it periodically. Isn't that what mods are for?

Closing the thread is not really the right solution, when it is completely clear that a troll is intentionally picking fights, by gratuitously insulting others, and especially when the same troll periodically engages in similar conduct.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

ok, let us tackle some of these assertions from Virgo, and see what we get.

the DR is the preeminent tourism destination in terms of first time visitors. that is basically because it is cheaper than the others, not because the product is better. if it was, then the return rate would be much higher than it is, and would not be a cause of concern to Haydee Raineri, who lamented the low numbers, such as 18% for Samana. the DR is not Europe, where, apart from Greece, most people go on their own. people going to the DR go to a travel operator, who sends them here on a packaged AI deal. some people who come here never heard of the place before they booked a vacation. that is a fact.

as far as bachata being popular worldwide...that i see no proof of. it is a current fad, like the lambada, wherein people go to dance on a night out. when a music genre is one in which people from another country beside the DR can make a living from a bachata band playing in Bosnia.

as to baseball...the DR has immense individual talent, but baseball is a team sport. the problem with the DR getting any recognition from baseball is that as a team the DR has won next to nothing. even the last regional tournament ended up with the DR in last place. it has never won even a bronze medal in the Olympics. if your national team does not win tournaments, then you get no props.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

the DR is the preeminent tourism destination in terms of first time visitors. that is basically because it is cheaper than the others, not because the product is better. if it was, then the return rate would be much higher than it is, and would not be a cause of concern to Haydee Raineri, who lamented the low numbers, such as 18% for Samana. the DR is not Europe, where, apart from Greece, most people go on their own. people going to the DR go to a travel operator, who sends them here on a packaged AI deal. some people who come here never heard of the place before they booked a vacation. that is a fact.

as far as bachata being popular worldwide...that i see no proof of. it is a current fad, like the lambada, wherein people go to dance on a night out. when a music genre is one in which people from another country beside the DR can make a living from a bachata band playing in Bosnia.

as to baseball...the DR has immense individual talent, but baseball is a team sport. the problem with the DR getting any recognition from baseball is that as a team the DR has won next to nothing. even the last regional tournament ended up with the DR in last place. it has never won even a bronze medal in the Olympics. if your national team does not win tournaments, then you get no props.

I don't know what your source on non-return rate is. It seems bogus to me, since the number of arrivals keep growing. It would be tough to accomplish that if most tourists aren't satisfied to begin with, because now with the Internet, information travels extremely fast and worldwide, and people do read reviews. I also doubt private investors would keep on investing huge amounts of money in a country, as they do, if most people to visit the place aren't satisfied to begin with.

Your claim that people who come to the DR are "sent" to the DR is simply baseless. Tour operators and travel websites and travel agents do offer people a lot of choices, as common sense would dictate. They can choose the region, the country, the area within a country, and even the hotel if they want (and yes, we are talking about package deals). I know what I am talking about. I have used those sites myself many times.

Bachata is a worldwide phenomenon. It is danced the world over. There are bachata parties, festivals, and dance schools in most cities of moderate size in most parts of the world. I know exactly what I am talking about. Do some web search and you shall see.

The DR is the reigning world baseball champ. They won the equivalent of the Soccer/Football world cup last it was played. It isn't as big as the soccer world cup, but it is a major event for the sport. The Dominican team did terrible this year in the Caribbean series, but still the DR has won that competition more than any other country. Anyhow, baseball fans care much more about major league baseball (MLB) than international competitions, and are fully aware of the DR because of the many great Dominican baseball players in the MLB.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Talk about nonsense!

LOL!!!

Go gulp down your Prozac that you missed this morning Gorgojos...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know what your source on non-return rate is. It seems bogus to me, since the number of arrivals keep growing. It would be tough to accomplish that if most tourists aren't satisfied to begin with, because now with the Internet, information travels extremely fast and worldwide, and people do read reviews. I also doubt private investors would keep on investing huge amounts of money in a country, as they do, if most people to visit the place aren't satisfied to begin with.

Your claim that people who come to the DR are "sent" to the DR is simply baseless. Tour operators and travel websites and travel agents do offer people a lot of choices, as common sense would dictate. They can choose the region, the country, the area within a country, and even the hotel if they want (and yes, we are talking about package deals). I know what I am talking about. I have used those sites myself many times.

Bachata is a worldwide phenomenon. It is danced the world over. There are bachata parties, festivals, and dance schools in most cities of moderate size in most parts of the world. I know exactly what I am talking about. Do some web search and you shall see.

The DR is the reigning world baseball champ. They won the equivalent of the Soccer/Football world cup last it was played. It isn't as big as the soccer world cup, but it is a major event for the sport. The Dominican team did terrible this year in the Caribbean series, but still the DR has won that competition more than any other country. Anyhow, baseball fans care much more about major league baseball (MLB) than international competitions, and are fully aware of the DR because of the many great Dominican baseball players in the MLB.

the baseball world tournament is a nothing event that nobody cares about. to compare it to football is fatuous. when Argentina sends a team to the World Cup, or any major tournament, Messi is on it. they send the best of the best. that is one of the reasons why football is so popular. baseball teams send a few decent players, and some second grade scrubs. that is why nobody cares about some baseball World Cup. you are not going to get much mileage out of a baseball tournament. if the DR had a world beater in an individual sport, then maybe so.

i have no idea what kind of logic you use to determine mathematical outcomes, but i fail to see how the rate of return visitors has any impact upon the first timers. if new people keep coming all the time, there is no need to have a high return rate to maintain high numbers, because international tourism grows by leaps and bounds each year. if two guys who came to the DR this year do not return, but 3 guys who went to Dubai last year came to the DR this year, the 2 have been nullified..at least in the arithmetic i know.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What boggles my mind is that this sort of OBVIOUSLY improper conduct, completely obvious trolling provocations, is tolerated even when the perpetrator is known to do it periodically. Isn't that what mods are for?

Closing the thread is not really the right solution, when it is completely clear that a troll is intentionally picking fights, by gratuitously insulting others, and especially when the same troll periodically engages in similar conduct.

Don't take it at heart! CC is like a comic relief from time to time, others more like a bucket of fresh and cold water in your face when he wants it.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
bachata still is not that popular in usa. several places yes but not everywhere. Houston has one person teaching lessons and they have two locations with about 2 dozen students at a time. its growing a little.

84 Dominicans playing in mlb this season 2016. most all stars in usa are from the DR California 2'nd

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
the baseball world tournament is a nothing event that nobody cares about. to compare it to football is fatuous. when Argentina sends a team to the World Cup, or any major tournament, Messi is on it. they send the best of the best. that is one of the reasons why football is so popular. baseball teams send a few decent players, and some second grade scrubs. that is why nobody cares about some baseball World Cup. you are not going to get much mileage out of a baseball tournament. if the DR had a world beater in an individual sport, then maybe so.

i have no idea what kind of logic you use to determine mathematical outcomes, but i fail to see how the rate of return visitors has any impact upon the first timers. if new people keep coming all the time, there is no need to have a high return rate to maintain high numbers, because international tourism grows by leaps and bounds each year. if two guys who came to the DR this year do not return, but 3 guys who went to Dubai last year came to the DR this year, the 2 have been nullified..at least in the arithmetic i know.

Of course football (soccer) is a bigger sport than baseball. I said it myself. Did you miss that? I brought up the WBC b/c you showed your ignorance by claiming that the DR hasn't won anything important in baseball. In fact, it is the REIGNING WBC champion, which is the MAIN international competition in baseball. It is scheduled when MLB teams are finishing their pre-season training and for this reason many important players do play and are in nearly top form. The second most important professional international baseball competition this side of the world is the Caribbean series which the DR has won more than any other country.

I already explained to you that most first-time visitors aren't stupid enough to just spend their vacation money AND time in a place without first doing some basic research, which is extremely simple to do these days. You may be the last to know about travel review websites. When most people are dissatisfied with a place, prospective first-time visitors know about it and most go elsewhere. Get it? It's not that difficult a concept. And what is your source for your claims on non-return rates for the country?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
bachata still is not that popular in usa. several places yes but not everywhere. Houston has one person teaching lessons and they have two locations with about 2 dozen students at a time. its growing a little.
Maybe you should search some more. Of course you have to specifically look for the right clubs and events. Not to just walk into the first dance club or party and expect that bachata will be played. Often bachata goes together with salsa. Most salsa parties play a significant share of bachata (20-50% depending on the event) and/or have an adjacent area where mostly bachata is played. There are also a lot of bachata festivals (usually lasting a long weekend) across the US, and many countries, especially, but not exclusively in the Western world. Here is one of several important websites where big events are listed (but no site has all events).
Nearly all salsa festivals have a significant bachata component (even if the name of the event does not mention it).

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Maybe you should search some more. Of course you have to specifically look for the right clubs and events. Not to just walk into the first dance club or party and expect that bachata will be played. Often bachata goes together with salsa. Most salsa parties play a significant share of bachata (20-50% depending on the event) and/or have an adjacent area where mostly bachata is played. There are also a lot of bachata festivals (usually lasting a long weekend) across the US, and many countries, especially, but not exclusively in the Western world. Here is one of several important websites where big events are listed (but no site has all events).
Nearly all salsa festivals have a significant bachata component (even if the name of the event does not mention it).

I travel all over the usa. its growing but its still not a house hold word in the usa. websites are very deceiving, I base mine on travels. I was in 23 states last year. I travel a lot and I do search because I take lessons. you ain't finding bachata in Arkansas lol

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I travel all over the usa. its growing but its still not a house hold word in the usa. websites are very deceiving, I base mine on travels. I was in 23 states last year. I travel a lot and I do search because I take lessons. you ain't finding bachata in Arkansas lol

I had a Dominicana asking me if I did Bachata, I said no, next did I do Salsa, no again, how about merengue, and another no. Then I asked her if she did the boot scoot boogie, the twist or the mashed potatoes. She agreed that she knew none of those, so I announced that I won since the 3 I mentioned are much more represented amongst the people I have known than her silly little local dances.
Der Fish

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

Come on, don't get silly. Where/when did I say that you could find bachata in each and every corner of the US? I haven't looked for bachata in Arkansas, and cannot comment on that. On the other hand, this website is about salsa in LR, and specifically mention bachata among the rhythms targeted. Almost certainly, most LR salsa events have a significant bachata component and possibly a bachata room. If you don't like websites and prefer to go door to door checking that is your business, but it is not very efficient. The whole point of such sites is to help people find what they want with minimal search time.

Anyhow, my point was that BACHATA LOVERS -- who are quite a few and spread around the world -- have another reason to know the DR for that reason. I did not mean that the vast majority of the people in the world were bachata lovers or knew what it was. It's somewhat similar to baseball, in that it is big in some places, and virtually unknown in others, yet there are a lot of baseball fans combined and they know about the DR for that reason. Of course many human beings have no idea what baseball is (hopefully some of them know/like bachata)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Virgo, you're sounding like my family in law, that claims Dominican Republic has one of the better cuisines in the world (no joke) and that their foreign business visitors always claim that one of the best restaurants of the world are in DR.

It's good you defend your country and your people, but don't overreact please.