62% of the population say politicians are corrupt

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Encuesta-Barometro-Las-Americas-El-Caribe-1024x617.png

The results of the University of Vanderbilt Americas Barometer 2023 survey indicate that more than 60% of Dominicans perceive the majority of local politicians as being corrupt. This perception is the same in the rest of Latin America and the Caribbean. The findings were presented at the PUCMM in Santo Domingo.

1,596 persons were surveyed. Those polled said that the economy (50%) was their main concern, displacing insecurity (21%).

When pollsters asked the question: what is the most serious problem that the country is facing? One in two Dominicans mentioned the economy as the most important problem in the country in 2023.

The 2023 Americas Barometer represents the 10th round of the University of Vanderbilt’s LAPOP Lab main project, which marks a significant milestone in the realm of public opinion research in the Americas. The LAPOP Lab project receives...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Now we have proof ! 38% of the DR Population are complete idiots.
Maybe, maybe not. They may be the 38% benefiting from the corruption. That’s a very small sampling. I wouldn’t put much faith in it. It’s stating the obvious from a supposedly statistical perspective. Anyone living in the DR is acutely aware of the corruption.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I don't see that % being much different than any of the countries in north or south America. Govt is out of hand world wide.
I don’t see the word ‘corruption’ used that much in the western world but when applied to “money disappearing to where it doesn’t belong” it is basically the same. Just worded and done differently.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is also a part in the article that says people used to think women politicians were less corrupt then men, but now they think both are equally corrupt. I say that goes in hand with the increase of women politicians and the belief a politician can solve all the problems and aren’t able to because they are corrupt. It doesn’t truly means that they are equally corrupt or that corruption has increase. These are just perceptions. People expect way too much from politicians under normal circumstances.

The kicker are the people that say all DR politicians are corrupt, then on another time say there is no corruption in the USA. Excuse me for laughing, lol

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
There is also a part in the article that says people used to think women politicians were less corrupt then men, but now they think both are equally corrupt. I say that goes in hand with the increase of women politicians and the belief a politician can solve all the problems and aren’t able to because they are corrupt. It doesn’t truly means that they are equally corrupt or that corruption has increase. These are just perceptions. People expect way too much from politicians under normal circumstances.

The kicker are the people that say all DR politicians are corrupt, then on another time say there is no corruption in the USA. Excuse me for laughing, lol

I think that's it's because it's much more " in your face in the DR" . Entran en chacletas, salen en jeepetas.

Also, and I can't speak for the US mind you, lots of us come from countries where even the poorest have access to health care, education, running and potable water, electricity, etc, etc.....
So sure it still doesn't make corruption right but it seems less predatorial, if that makes sense.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think that's it's because it's much more " in your face in the DR" . Entran en chacletas, salen en jeepetas.

Also, and I can't speak for the US mind you, lots of us come from countries where even the poorest have access to health care, education, running and potable water, electricity, etc, etc.....
So sure it still doesn't make corruption right but it seems less predatorial, if that makes sense.
Its not just that. Many Dominicans don’t like it too much if someone started in a level similar to them and got ahead of them. Even if both get ahead, the one that got ahead further will cause a particular envy on the one that didn’t get that far. Among many things, this envy is one of the driving force for emigration. That’s how you end up with things like in the DR it is very common for the middle class to leave for the United States and, in fact, few middle class Dominicans don’t have family in the USA. For quite a few is most of their family since now only them and maybe a handful more are left in the DR. Yet, Costa Rica is also a developing country and it isn’t normal for the middle class the emigrate anywhere. Most Costa Rican middle class families even live in houses with a zinc roof, which many in the DR equate as inferior to cement or tiles. Most simply stay put in Costa Rica from craddle to grave.

Much worst have it does that move forward in the government, since there is the notion that is only possible through corruption. It isn’t true, but if you move up the socialeconomic latter while in the government, it will be seen as if the reached it via corruption and somehow it makes your material gains illegitimate and unworthy yo be yours.

aarhus

On vacation
Jun 10, 2008

I see no reason why women politicians wouldn’t be just as corrupt as men. They are just more charming.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've never had a conversation with a Dominican about politics (a topic I do my best to avoid) who's told me politicians are not corrupt, as a matter of fact, always the opposite.

At the moment, I do not have the legal right to vote so there's really no point in venting or sharing my personal frustrations with how small towns like Moca are being governed... or lack thereof.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Its not just that. Many Dominicans don’t like it too much if someone started in a level similar to them and got ahead of them. Even if both get ahead, the one that got ahead further will cause a particular envy on the one that didn’t get that far. Among many things, this envy is one of the driving force for emigration. That’s how you end up with things like in the DR it is very common for the middle class to leave for the United States and, in fact, few middle class Dominicans don’t have family in the USA. For quite a few is most of their family since now only them and maybe a handful more are left in the DR. Yet, Costa Rica is also a developing country and it isn’t normal for the middle class the emigrate anywhere. Most Costa Rican middle class families even live in houses with a zinc roof, which many in the DR equate as inferior to cement or tiles. Most simply stay put in Costa Rica from craddle to grave.

Much worst have it does that move forward in the government, since there is the notion that is only possible through corruption. It isn’t true, but if you move up the socialeconomic latter while in the government, it will be seen as if the reached it via corruption and somehow it makes your material gains illegitimate and unworthy yo be yours.
NALS. I don’t know if it’s fair to compare Costa Rican and DR migration. Costa Ricans of all class levels have access to an excellent public medical system and education system. The result of the government deciding years ago to spend less money on their military and more money on health and education. My neighbour‘s son moved there years ago. He had a bad motorcycle accident and was treated well by the public medical system. He compares it to the system we have in Canada.

I suspect that’s two of the major reasons you see less Costa Rican migration than DR migration. if you can prosper and raise a family with access to good hospitals and schools, why would you move elsewhere?

Reactions: Lucifer

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I don’t see the word ‘corruption’ used that much in the western world but when applied to “money disappearing to where it doesn’t belong” it is basically the same. Just worded and done differently.
Hiding billions of dollars in offshore banks and not declaring it is common practice for the wealthy in North America. It’s never referred to as corrupt. It’s referred to as tax evasion. Governments in Canada and the USA rarely chase after big money hidden in offshore accounts. They will, however doggedly pursue the poor bastard that owes them a few thousand dollars in back taxes.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hiding billions of dollars in offshore banks and not declaring it is common practice for the wealthy in North America. It’s never referred to as corrupt. It’s referred to as tax evasion. Governments in Canada and the USA rarely chase after big money hidden in offshore accounts. They will, however doggedly pursue the poor bastard that owes them a few thousand dollars in back taxes.
Low hanging fruit

Reactions: Ecoman1949

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS. I don’t know if it’s fair to compare Costa Rican and DR migration. Costa Ricans of all class levels have access to an excellent public medical system and education system. The result of the government deciding years ago to spend less money on their military and more money on health and education. My neighbour‘s son moved there years ago. He had a bad motorcycle accident and was treated well by the public medical system. He compares it to the system we have in Canada.

I suspect that’s two of the major reasons you see less Costa Rican migration than DR migration. if you can prosper and raise a family with access to good hospitals and schools, why would you move elsewhere?
Overall, the Dominican middle class doesn’t have issues getting quality healthcare.

The typical Dominican that emmigrates has better income nd education than the average Dominican. It’s common to hear from middle class Dominicansthst life in the USA isn’t that different from the one they had in the DR, but that is after they migrate and not before.