9 million people and 100,000 newspapers printed??

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
I hope you are kidding primo, I've been using this for about 5 years - good grief - I need to enroll in a Spanish class.

Well, of this I'm certain: from Sosua to Toronto and all points in between, 'casimente' is a non-word. If it was of recent vintage, you could call it a bushism.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
What if you count the lip readers watching the people who mouth the words while they read?

We could be up to 20 per paper and rising here.....
And don't forget the people who wear glasses!! Many of us can see the reflected newsprint in their glasses & thereby read the papers in reflection!! :cheeky:

That now puts the average readership of ONE paper up to about 35!! Add in the multiple readership of newspapres in the libraries & we may have hit the 40 target!!

Now, if we take the SCEWED average & add that to the MEAN average & (to take things back to almost square again) divide that by the moving average added to the median ................. :ermm::ermm::ermm::chinese:

Who started all this Stats to prove a point stuff anyway?? Oh yes ....... someone who ??:tired:??:paranoid:???? be the above average & generally comes out ................... below PAR!! ~ Grahame.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You have to keep in mind that aproximately 90% of all statistics on the internet are made up. It's a pretty standard deviation.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think Nals could actually convince himself that his house wasn't on fire even if it was - incredible - I vote for him to be the next Mirador. :)

If you want to see how many of the youth spell here go to some of the forums frequented by the youths. The majority of the posters have computers and are therefore affluent.

Also, Nals forget about telling me about quick abbreviations as the cause, I know "k" is just that, thanks.
I used the methodology that marketers use when they sell newspaper advertising space.

Apparently you have not been approached by one of them.

BTW, since when do kids that live in invivienda housing complexes are "affluent"? Go ahead, ask them where they are from.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Who started all this Stats to prove a point stuff anyway?? Oh yes ....... someone who ??:tired:??:paranoid:???? be the above average & generally comes out ................... below PAR!! ~ Grahame.
Hey, of the two of us, I'm not the carpetbagger. :surprised

-NALs

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This whole message board needs Ritalin

here's a few websites I found regarding the matter. There's some figures at 28-35 newspapers per 1,000 in population

Dominican Republic Press, Media, TV, Radio, Newspapers

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: general data

country profile | UNdata

Thanks Elvis and Lambada for trying to answer my question. Interesting to see how a question so easily and quickly degenerates into people making off the wall and unnecessary comments or making up useless answers no one cares for.

I need a hookah...:alien:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
What you got was a lesson in how a large percentage of Dominicans think.

Dominicans often have to feel like their country is #1, or at least not a developing country (ie to the comments about not many people reading newspapers).

You got a typical Dominican response from Nals. I think this pride causes them sometimes to not address the real issues the country needs to face.

(I normally don't read Nals's posts, but when I saw he posted on this thread I had to read and respond because I knew exactly what it would be about). :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
[Who started all this Stats to prove a point stuff anyway?? Oh yes ....... someone who ??:tired:??:paranoid:???? be the above average & generally comes out ................... below PAR!! ~ Grahame.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could be below par but my game usually isn't that good. Yris has reading contests all the time in her school and some of the kids in grade 4-5 can read better than some of the teachers. This says two things - the teachers are not very well educated, and there is hope for the next generation. I saw the homework that Nicole the fifteen year old daughter of our hosts was doing and it was on par with any school I seen in Canada and the states. I never saw a newspaper in any house in the DR, but I see plenty in the waiting room at Doctors, Dentists, and at the bank. How nice it is to go in the bank, pick up the newspaper and be served a nice cup of coffee.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
(I normally don't read Nals's posts, but when I saw he posted on this thread I had to read and respond because I knew exactly what it would be about). :)
There are alot of people that do that. They "don't read" my posts... but they sure do respond to them! Ha ha ha :cheeky:

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What you got was a lesson in how a large percentage of Dominicans think.

Dominicans often have to feel like their country is #1, or at least not a developing country (ie to the comments about not many people reading newspapers).
I think you're confusing the Dominicans with the Americans.

Then again, the former gets its inspiration from the latter. :cheeky:

-NALs

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Well i read somewhere that it was 100,000 million people and 9 million newspapers printed?:bunny:
4c1g5le.jpg

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Please stop hijacking threads...

Hillbilly made a comment in another thread that in the DR there are 9 million people and only 100,000 newspapers printed. Is this a gross exaggeration in order to get a point across or is this a legitimate fact? I just find it hard to believe that there are only 100,000 newspapers printed in the whole country. Maybe I misunderstood. Though I understand Dominicans aren't the most literary people, i.e. an extensive culture of reading etc, but this just seems way too much. Where did you get this fact and can you substantiate this with a reference to something? Did you work in the newspaper business? Anyone have any references to this?

Much appreciated,

:pirate:

Does anyone have any facts on this. I don't need your opinions. Seeing that most of your opinions have s....! Anyway, I need some facts. I've done some Internet research and the info is limited and the facts I do get, I don't trust. Please, stop hijacking posts with your BS and
ridiculous commentary.

Where is my hookah?? :dead: :dead:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Does anyone have any facts on this. I don't need your opinions. Seeing that most of your opinions have s....! Anyway, I need some facts. I've done some Internet research and the info is limited and the facts I do get, I don't trust. Please, stop hijacking posts with your BS and
ridiculous commentary.

Where is my hookah?? :dead:
If it is FACTS you are after Mr. Lu, you are asking in the wrong medium :ermm: - we don't KNOW facts here!:cheeky:! We have opinions, thoughts, a load of B/s & a LOT of humour to impart - facts are not welcome in the DR1 world as you may have noted from 612,103 posts already submitted!!;);) The only way to get FACTS (that you won't trust anyway) is to do what Lambada & ElvisNYC did for you ...... MORE time researching on internet rather than coming for a 'quick fix' on DR1.

Come on, lighten up a bit & enjoy the banter that goes on here at times. :paranoid: :surprised :bunny::bunny: ~ Grahame.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If it is FACTS you are after Mr. Lu,.......Come on, lighten up a bit & enjoy the banter that goes on here at times. :paranoid: :surprised :bunny::bunny: ~ Grahame.

..and appreciate the shine NALs puts on the sneaker.

I think he must have been a limpiabota when he was a kid. :cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
After a day out and about, this thread is very reassuring. The DR1 is still bipolar and not responding to medication!

For every newspaper printed, you have to allow at least 10 people reading as others said in this thread. It gets read over and over again in colmados and everywhere where there is a table to gather around, usually early afternoon.

Nals a limpiabota! Hahahahaha!