A desperate plea

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
To my knowledge, the "Herbie fund" at Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto provides treatment for children in foreign countries who do not have access to their required treatment in their own countries...if HB says their is a reputable paediatric cancer centre in Santiago, look no further!
Also, the time it takes to apply and be screened would mean valuable time lost. Remember that right now, she is a walking time-bomb and time is of the essence. Early diagnosis/treament=increased chance of survival!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, thanks guys. Grace or LaProfe. Perhaps it will be worth while to send her a pm or email as I think she is quite skilled at matching the right resource and understanding how one can make these things happen quickly.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You are the man of the house. It is high time you get "dominican" on her and tell her how its' going to be whether she likes it or not.

Either that or leave, because guaranteed your time in "paradise" will turn into a living hell if the worse case scenario plays itself out.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
This is a puzzling post and painful in all respects.

I am very impressed with Bushbaby and Lambada, thank you (for him)
I'm not so impressed with with "Dad" Come on Peter.

His last post was weeks ago. It may be safe to assume that the poor girl now is either gone or real close to it.

I almost find it hard to beleive. So much good advice from so many big hearted strangers and his continual , "I know but..." mentality. Impossibly undigestive.

The first post had elements of true concern and love but as Pete got more and more solid advice he became more and more reluctant to listen,
2 weeks to see a witch doctor? 2 F#$#%#Q% weeks?
and your going to wait?
Wait?
WAIT???
For a highly aggressive form of cancer?
Because your Dominican girlfriend says so?
No way.

Kidnap the girl, you said you love her. I have difficulty beleiving you.
Any human being driven by love and survival could never be detered by words, "Now Im the bad guy" ( thats your pathetic excuse?)
F U !!
Sorry if I'm too much a realist but wtf!!!!!!!!!

Im not as heartless as you probably think. I care that's why I'm positng.
I can't bear it is it low self esteem and tiny nuts that you sit and watch the inevitable without acting.

I am baffled.
It is a sin to commit an evil act.
It is equally sinful to commit a non-action.
I hope I'm right and that you did not sit by weakly and allow your boss-wife to kill your sweet little angel.

Im sure there was an 80 to 90 percent chance that she would not have survived but the fact that she was never given a chance and that the adult who loved her and never gave her a fighting chance sat by sullenly and submissively gave in to outdated medicine and campo superstitions is just ....well....
you can finish this post yourself

Can we get an update?
We do care. You were given truely hearfelt, concrete advice here.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
seen pete and he looked happy

well for all those worried about Pete - he is alive and kicking and I have not seen his family with him for quite a few weeks now. Maybe he has taken some good advice and told them where to go. I really wish the girl - her mother and her grandmother would listen to the doctors and not the witch doctor. By the way I saw the mother and grandmother the other day, they didnt look upset so I am assuming the daughter is still alive.
Pete should have the decency to keep everyone updated - as alot of you have put your own time and effort into trying to help him and his family.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to find out what has happened as well. I have an acquaintaince who is a substantial fundraiser for St Judes in Orlando and if had known would have gladly called him.

Cancer is no lauging matter and did away with my father in just about 3 months.

I also will restate that DR1 should have a "philanpthropic" thread for use by the numerous, numerous medical volunteers, religious or otherwise, that come here year after year and offer free medical services including surgery. Who knows how many lives could be saved or changed for the better just by simply giving them a medium to coordinate and communicate more effictively?

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
Again thanks for all the good advice and messages of hope.The lates situation is that they now accept the treatment is vital , at the moment Anaise is in S.Domingo with hre fathers side of the family, her blood sugar ratio is too high at the moment , of course not possible to operate at the moment, she is having 15 days of treatment , then hopefully the operation . Yes I know valuable time has been lost and I hope this does not prove to be , you can guess .If i seemed weak in this , maybe some of you
were right , but really I could not frogmarch the girl to hospital, nor could I abandon this family , the lady seen with the mother here in Costambar is in fact her aunt,

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I also will restate that DR1 should have a "philanpthropic" thread for use by the numerous, numerous medical volunteers, religious or otherwise, that come here year after year and offer free medical services including surgery. Who knows how many lives could be saved or changed for the better just by simply giving them a medium to coordinate and communicate more effictively?

Chip, that has been discussed many times and I would like to see that too. It is just that a thread like that becomes a spam magnet. But I'll start one and set guidelines for information sharing and we'll see how it goes.

Nice to hear of some progress peteclaffey!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, that has been discussed many times and I would like to see that too. It is just that a thread like that becomes a spam magnet. But I'll start one and set guidelines for information sharing and we'll see how it goes.

Nice to hear of some progress peteclaffey!

Thanks, I hope it works out. When it is up I'll inform the missionaries I know.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The lates situation is that they now accept the treatment is vital , at the moment Anaise is in S.Domingo with hre fathers side of the family, her blood sugar ratio is too high at the moment , of course not possible to operate at the moment, she is having 15 days of treatment , then hopefully the operation . Yes I know valuable time has been lost and I hope this does not prove to be , you can guess .If i seemed weak in this , maybe some of you
were right , but really I could not frogmarch the girl to hospital, nor could I abandon this family , the lady seen with the mother here in Costambar is in fact her aunt,

Good to know that her biological father has assumed responsibility. Please pass on to him our prayers for his daughter's future.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
He does not assume anything , he lives in S.Domingo where Anaise is recieving blood treatment , I sense a degree of sarcasm in your in your message which to be honest I can do without.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
He does not assume anything , he lives in S.Domingo where Anaise is recieving blood treatment , I sense a degree of sarcasm in your in your message which to be honest I can do without.

Personally, I don't think Lambada was meaning to be scarstic...I think Lambada was being sincear...

And I would also like to pass on my best wishes and positive thoughts for Anaise...I wish the best in the treatment and her recovery!!!

A

apostropheman

Good to know that her biological father has assumed responsibility. Please pass on to him our prayers for his daughter's future.
i think in this case this definition applies:
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Main Entry: as?sume
Pronunciation: <tt>&-'s?m</tt>
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): as?sumed; as?sum?ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin assumere, from ad- + sumere to take -- more at [SIZE=-1]CONSUME[/SIZE]
Date: 15th century
1 a : to take up or in : [SIZE=-1]RECEIVE[/SIZE] b : to take into partnership, employment, or use
2 a : to take to or upon oneself : [SIZE=-1]UNDERTAKE[/SIZE] <assume responsibility> b : [SIZE=-1]PUT ON[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]DON[/SIZE] c : to place oneself in <assume a position>
in your case this one might be more apt: ass-u-me

nothing Lambada said, or as you assumed implied, was negative...and certainly not sarcastic.

i can understand that you are under a great deal of stress but to snub someone like Lambada is uncalled for and helps nothing.

i wish your daughter well and i hope the outcome is positive.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
nothing Lambada said, or as you assumed implied, was negative...and certainly not sarcastic.

i can understand that you are under a great deal of stress but to snub someone like Lambada is uncalled for and helps nothing.

i wish your daughter well and i hope the outcome is positive.

Thanks apostropheman, but I'm not going to take his comment personally since I think it is propelled by his guilt.

Yes alicious, I was being sincere. When I intend being sarcastic I can honestly assure you there is nothing subtle about it! As you know Dominican families are great at pulling together at a time like this and since Mr. Claffey had told us 'at the moment Anaise is in S.Domingo with hre fathers side of the family' my comment was that this was good to know. Unfortunately, his defensiveness made him read it as a comment against his ability as a father.

But we now all know one thing - if we want a quick response from him all we have to do is unintentionally make a remark he deems as critical. We wait weeks for news of the important person, the child, yet the OP is responding within hours if he feels got at..................... I think most of us here feel that it is the child who is the focus of attention and not the poster so let us all ignore his mistaken perception about my sarcasm.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
May I make a sincere and public apology to lambada , looking back i realise thet you were not aware that it was the fathers side of the family who talked them into seeing the herbal man , and hence all the delay, were until that time preparing for operation i Centre Medico , PP , GENUINE APOLOGY SIR as when i looked back at the messages i realise that I said people pressued her for the witch doctor , but as I say now it was the father , who is also being treated for prostrate cancer by the same man , and that side of the family . The reason she is in Sd . is as i said for blood treatment , he lives in the same city , so obviously thats an advantage , prefferable to much commuting, agian Lambada my apologies , , also to any body else who may have been upset by remark , the reason for no messages from me , i thought all messages had stopped , I am new to DR1, then my friend who is also a DR1 user, who reccomended this site told me that I should reply to new messages posted , and told me how to recall them , I was not aware of new messages until then

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Apology accepted and thank you. No, we didn't know the father was the reason for the 'herbal man'. Now, let's move on. Please keep us posted about the child's progress. If you had the time to give the results of the operation in the future, I'm sure everyone would be grateful.

Not that it's important, but I'm a female. It probably doesn't show up in my posts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, based on your reply it was easy for Lambada to assume that the biological father had assumed responsibility for getting his daughter proper treatment. Nuances or word play? Much is lost in communication on public postings because to thoroughly understand a persons situation most of us would ask questions and receive answers in far more detail than what takes place on these boards. Pete, I wish your stepdaughter the best in her fight with cancer. My first wife died from this awful disease that plays no favorites. I understand the stress that you must be going through.

Last edited:

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
thanks Bob , i assure you it was a genuine mistake on my part, I really thought that I had told people where the pressure to see herbal man came from , i feel really bad about the comment i made, sorry to hear about your wife , I fought cancer 3yrs ago, with immediate surgery and radiotherapy i am able to be here typing this message, i am one of the lucky ones , as we all know cancer does not discrimnate