A Dominican food fight.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where did you find poffertjes?! Next thing you'll tell me you found frikadellen...!

i made them myself from scratch. buckwheat flour and all. i don't have a pan for them so i just made them into tiny tiny one bite pancakecitos.

frikadellen? sounds like polish minced meat cutlets. i made those few times but thanks for a reminder, they'll be on the menu soon.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
i made them myself from scratch. buckwheat flour and all. i don't have a pan for them so i just made them into tiny tiny one bite pancakecitos.

frikadellen? sounds like polish minced meat cutlets. i made those few times but thanks for a reminder, they'll be on the menu soon.

I'll await the invitation....

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You won't find hot, spicy food. Doms. are not into spices. You may want to bring some of your own.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hot Sauce - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce is the one I like.. i just cook myself ... Salami is nasty here or in the states a process S*** I did teach my maid to cook a mean Italian Gravy she loves it ... Hey eat the fish its the best

sriracha is just heat. it has zero flavor. compared to caribbean hot sauce..naah.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I've been wondering if I'm the only one who has grown tired of constantly eating Dominican meals. Now my mujer cooks very well, but I find her not wishing to broaden her horizons when it comes to food. Carne tastes like carne. Doesn't​ matter if it's chicken or pork when it's in the exact same salsa it pretty.much tastes the same. I remember asking her to make fried chicken and mashed potatoes. No I didn't​ ask her to make gravy. What I got was overcooked fried chicken naked. Of course I ate it and thanked her for breaking up the food routine, but to say that it wasn't what I had in mind is an understatement. I've also tried fried pork chops, but this was the same effect and spaghetti? Forget about it. Chicken spaghetti? You're kidding right? And forget her using a jar of Italian sauce cause I've tried cooking spaghetti using Italian sausage and Italian sauce, and she wouldn't even try it even though she loves friend Italian sausage. Steak I get when we go out to eat and there have been a few successes. She loves hash browns, and if I'm going to get chicken spaghetti, then it may as well be edible, so I taught her how to make chicken Alfredo pasta which of course she adds cilantro to making it different but surprisingly good. She also likes fried fish fillets and believe it or not, hush puppies and coleslaw. I guess I'm just getting sick of meat in sauce with rice. Oh the rice is always different. Sometimes white with habenchula, other times with guandules which I do like but just not every day. Have to also point out that Gabys habenchula is outstanding and I prefer eating them with just bread. Of course some corn bread would be excellent, but there ain't no way I'm getting this, so pan de agua is fine.

Now why I posted this. How many like San cocho? Ever try eating the dumplings in the stew? Horrible excuse for dumplings if you ask me. Wads of flour and water sit I. The stew and cook and still taste like wads of flour and water. So we we're fortunate enough to get a couple of very large whole fresh hens from a friend that grows them. I talked Gaby into putting one in the caldera with a few veggies and cook them up. Ahhhhh. San Cocho de Pollo she replied. No I said.. Chicken and dumplings served with white rice. Rice being the key word necessary for her to go along with my gringo meal. So she made the change clean, and at the end, I made up some Bisquick dumplings using milk, finely chopped green onion, and a little sharp cheese to spoon on top of the bubbly mixture of chicken on the stove. The look on her face was priceless as I put the lid on the pot after floating the dumplings mixture on top. Your not going to mix I. The dumplings she asked.. I responded with just Trust me. So everything done, we sit to eat, and she tries a dumpling. Wow she says.. etse es pan bueno. She liked them and another small victory for a gringo getting tired of eating as a Dominican every single day. Of course she put a pile of rice in her bowl, covered it with chicken and sauce and mixed in a couple of dumplings before going at it with a spoon , but this is another story..

Funny, but I understand your pain. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Most people will cook what they like and what they are used to. I give you credit. It's a fine line between complaining and trying to exact change. Bottom line, basically if you want to eat something different tell her you are cooking a meal for her and don't forget the sauce on the side.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My experience has been so different. Sure, some Dominicans are set in their ways but isn't that the same everywhere? My Dominican friends, family members, guests and even maids have been enthusiastic about trying new and different things. I've even had an 80% success rate with Marmite!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....Gave up on the food thing long ago.. the more chicas in the kitchen, the less variety... the thing I am working on now is the spoon thing... have a drawer full of nice silverware, the only ones that they will use are the spoons....they use for everything{except when they open a can, with your best knife}...one day I took everything out of the silverware drawer except the very large spoons... this was greeted with much excitement, they told me now more room for more spoons......Doc.....

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My wife would eat your cheesecake, all of it, at one sitting. She isn't a big meat fan but we have traveled a lot, South America, Europe...etc She loves to try new foods. I agree with the general assessment of Dominican food and Dominicans attitude towards food, however the Dominicans we travel with are very open to trying new dishes.

Once visiting a relative in NY, he told me they could order some great mollejas de pollo around the corner. I was thinking "Im here like for a week, and you think I want mollejas and rice!" LMAO!

When I travel I always try have something new. So far the only thing I´ve had a problem with is Poutine. Made me sick! And l that gravy, yuck!

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
My Dominican wife cooks Dominican food, which I love very much. But also experiments with meals. Without the variety, I can see anyone getting sick and tired of the same type of meal everyday.

Feb 7, 2007

Minced meat cutlets ... haven't eaten them since December ... and now got a craving for them :) I guess I know what I will have for lunch today

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I guess i am blessed .. not only can my girl cook, with a natural talent . she also went to Culinary school where she honed her skills . only problem now is trying to not gain weight when she is around .. such is life .

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Death by cubitos

My experience has been so different. Sure, some Dominicans are set in their ways but isn't that the same everywhere? My Dominican friends, family members, guests and even maids have been enthusiastic about trying new and different things. I've even had an 80% success rate with Marmite!

I find Dominicans all little more set in their ways than average. Plus, they have no problem making faces at unknown food and refusing to even taste which in most culture is considered extremely rude. To be honest, I had never witnessed that before, especially in a developing country.

And yes, I do understand not eating stinky cheese, under cooked meat or snails which is an acquired taste, but they would do at ingredients that they are totally familiar with just because it not put together the same way they are used to.

But, on the other hand, they love my quiches and anything baked I have notice.:smoke:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I find Dominicans all little more set in their ways than average. Plus, they have no problem making faces at unknown food and refusing to even taste which in most culture is considered extremely rude. To be honest, I had never witnessed that before, especially in a developing country.

And yes, I do understand not eating stinky cheese, under cooked meat or snails which is an acquired taste, but they would do at ingredients that they are totally familiar with just because it not put together the same way they are used to.

But, on the other hand, they love my quiches and anything baked I have notice.:smoke:

Ahhhhh. A woman who understands. Gaby was one who made the faces and refused to sample anything new citing only "eso no es comida". This attitude has changed over the years and although she only cooks Dominican, she will at least try different things now but some things she just won't budge. Funny you use quiches as an example because it is one of the "no way she's eating this" but I did get her to try yellow fin tuna sushimi and she liked it but still will only eat fresh caught tuna steak cooked well done. Meats as usual for Dominicans have to be cooked to death, and speaking of stinky cheese, anybody try that fried cheese that Dominicans eat?. That stuff is horrible and the texture of it makes the flavor even worse.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
sriracha is just heat. it has zero flavor. compared to caribbean hot sauce..naah.

I know you understand the many different​ hot sauces available in the Caribbean G. Jerome's isn't bad, but as your post points out, most of it is hot as all get out but has not flavor. Just heat. Going to try the sauce you and Mauricio suggested. Thanks for the link!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i play dominoes with a group of guys from all walks of life. one is just a spoiled rich brat, two lawyers, a few clergymen, a doctor, and assorted idlers like myself. they are unanimous in their love for the lowly empanada, and eat any filling i can drem up in my head. mine are baked, and they will eat them by the dozen if they can get them..

Ahhhhh. Empanadas. Gaby makes her shells out of yucca and they are fabulous. Her pateles are also great, but these are more for special occasions. Telling ya G. I gotta get this girl cookin just a few things more international​ and not everything Dominican. Or I have to get back into cooking which is not on top of my list at the moment. I can't lie about the fact that I love that she cooks for me and that her cooking is good. I'm just tired of the same things mainly carne, rice, and beans all of the time. Also, living aboard does have a slight disadvantage regarding space for preparing foods, but everything else is the same. Ever notice that Dominicans very seldom use the oven?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ahhhhh. A woman who understands. Gaby was one who made the faces and refused to sample anything new citing only "eso no es comida". This attitude has changed over the years and although she only cooks Dominican, she will at least try different things now but some things she just won't budge. Funny you use quiches as an example because it is one of the "no way she's eating this" but I did get her to try yellow fin tuna sushimi and she liked it but still will only eat fresh caught tuna steak cooked well done. Meats as usual for Dominicans have to be cooked to death, and speaking of stinky cheese, anybody try that fried cheese that Dominicans eat?. That stuff is horrible and the texture of it makes the flavor even worse.

I do eat fried cheese and quite like it the rubbery tasteless feel to it :classic:.

And, I am not into med-rare meat in DR since I have seen how the meat at the carniceros is stored. So, I kinda understand where they are coming from.

Also, due to my african background, I do cook with cubes and would even marinate with sazon liquido...it is just that I would put a lot less.

I don't expect them to eat spicy if they are not used to it or even love spinach and broccoli.

Heck, I am more nervous about eating their white rice contaminated with plastic :smoke:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
anybody try that fried cheese that Dominicans eat?. That stuff is horrible and the texture of it makes the flavor even worse.

i love frying cheese. only i don't fry it but rather grill/heat it in non sticking pan, without any oil. freshly made and well done reminds me of halloumi, only with less flavour :)

since i grew up poor and in communism - which meant eating odds, ends and other assorted scraps - i can eat dominican salami, no problemo but we only buy "solo carne" from bravo. i also eat livers, necks, feet, hearts and other unsightly things. my number one dominican dish is mofongo. and i dig all viveres from platanos to yuca. much better than white rice.

on related note, it's kinda funny to read a thread about dominicans b*tching at foreign foods when in the same breath posters b*tch about dominican dishes ;)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i love frying cheese. only i don't fry it but rather grill/heat it in non sticking pan, without any oil. freshly made and well done reminds me of halloumi, only with less flavour :)

since i grew up poor and in communism - which meant eating odds, ends and other assorted scraps - i can eat dominican salami, no problemo but we only buy "solo carne" from bravo. i also eat livers, necks, feet, hearts and other unsightly things. my number one dominican dish is mofongo. and i dig all viveres from platanos to yuca. much better than white rice.

on related note, it's kinda funny to read a thread about dominicans b*tching at foreign foods when in the same breath posters b*tch about dominican dishes ;)

I believe that would be nothing more than cultural differences dv8.

Apr 7, 2014
Ahhhhh. Empanadas. Gaby makes her shells out of yucca and they are fabulous. Her pateles are also great, but these are more for special occasions. Telling ya G. I gotta get this girl cookin just a few things more international​ and not everything Dominican. Or I have to get back into cooking which is not on top of my list at the moment. I can't lie about the fact that I love that she cooks for me and that her cooking is good. I'm just tired of the same things mainly carne, rice, and beans all of the time. Also, living aboard does have a slight disadvantage regarding space for preparing foods, but everything else is the same. Ever notice that Dominicans very seldom use the oven?
They dont use the oven because they dont know how. Many propane stoves have no auto ignite so they dont know where to turn it on.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk