A Dominican is worth for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Bachata welcome to the real world. This is the reality and the perception of Hispanics from other countries of dominicans. It's because most dominicans can't speak spanish due to the fact they are majority illiterate. It is a quasi dialect that one has to eventually get accustomed to. Uruguay is far more advanced than DR culturally and economically. The misconception you guys have of Haitians is the same way other Hispanics have of dominicans. El mundo es redondo amigo. I suggest you try to refine your Spanish as you are in a bigger pond my friend you're no longer in Santo Domingo.

To the poster that said they think you guys are Haitians that's false. Besides Dominicans do take boats to Puerto Rico to eventually via false documents arrive to Nueva York. They just see domincans for what the really are. In New York dominicans live in ghettos washington hgts and have a larger pool of dominicans so speaking like if they were in sto dgo doesn't effect them too much unless they branch out to a better social class of hispanics.

I am also from the south shore side of Long Island. Freeport has become a ghetto hispanic enclave and all of the whites and african americans that can afford it moved out. It has gone down hill for decades. There are only a few hispanic Educated family no Dominicans in my neighborhood. If one comes it will go down hill in less than a decade.

I recall long ago one one simply say I am from long island now one has to ask where as it isn't what it used to be. Bachata the shoe is on the other foot now. How does it feel? I commend you for speaking English in such a short time rare for a dominican. I suggest you tell him to speak English and see if he understands you. Again welcome to the real world. Dominicans unfortunately are at the bottom of the totem pole in the Hispanic community.

Agreed, except that this phenomenon is not exclusive to Dominicans. If we entertain the perspective that it is, then we give credibility to the Uruguayans claims. All around the globe you find this agency, i.e., bias, predisposition, prejudice, discrimination, and to put it in the most innocuous frame, one-up-mans-ship. In this latter premise we all look, whether we mask it or not, to feel that we are better than our pr?jimo. The more extreme former cases serve as justifications for strife. No, the described is not exclusive to Dominicans, nor is being a come mielda exclusive to that Uruguayo. Case study dr1ers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Again ......What the heck are you talking about '??'''

are you sayinging that there are not guaguas, carros, garbage, chaos traffic in

Bolivia, Colombia, Brazil, Venezuela, Nicaragua, El sALVADOR, gUATEMALA, etc....????????

Are you saying that the presence of Blacks means that the people aren't Latino ?????

There are Blacks in Peru, Venezuela, Colombia, Brasil, Panama, Honduras, Guatemala, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc.....

what are you talking about ????

Hernandez likes to stir the pot, cause trouble and then run away. He lives in Santo Domingo, who knows why he suffers the indignity of life in DR when he hates it so much. If I hated it as much as he claims to, I'd have left a long time ago.

Please ignore him - this thread is not about race AT ALL. Anyone who knows JJ knows that.

I will not allow this thread to go further off topic, so fair warning to the posters.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dominicans like to think of themselves as an extension of Europe in general, and Spain in particular. other Hispanics see it differently. they all die for soccer, for example. it is Latino DNA. if you do not worship the game, you are not Spanish derived. DR people speak some corrupted version of spanish, that they cannot recognize. i dated a women from Peru who pronounced her "s' with a lisp. that to them is what being Spanish is all about. to them, Dominicans have more in common with Africa than with Spain.

Dominicans beg to differ.

I

In other words, you are saying that being latino means:
1. liking and playing Soccer
2. pronoucing s with a lisp

?????????????

that makes no sense.

and, that being Black and Latino are incompatible despite the fact that ECUADOR, VENEZUELA, COLOMBIA, PERU, BRAZIL, HONDURAS, CUBA, PUERTO RICO, GUATEMALA, NICARAGUA, COSTA RICA, PANAMA, have significant to extremely large ASfro descended populations. ????????

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dominicans like to think of themselves as an extension of Europe in general, and Spain in particular. other Hispanics see it differently. they all die for soccer, for example. it is Latino DNA. if you do not worship the game, you are not Spanish derived. DR people speak some corrupted version of spanish, that they cannot recognize. i dated a women from Peru who pronounced her "s' with a lisp. that to them is what being Spanish is all about. to them, Dominicans have more in common with Africa than with Spain.

628]

Dominicans beg to differ.[/QUOTE]

In other words, you are saying that being latino means:
1. liking and playing Soccer
2. pronoucing s with a lisp

?????????????

that makes no sense.

and, that being Black and Latino are incompatible despite the fact that ECUADOR, VENEZUELA, COLOMBIA, PERU, BRAZIL, HONDURAS, CUBA, PUERTO RICO, GUATEMALA, NICARAGUA, COSTA RICA, PANAMA, have significant to extremely large Afro descended populations. ????????

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Dominicans like to think of themselves as caribbean people first from spanish decent as in "SPAIN" and are very proud of this and their traditions. I think they see themselves as superior to Central America and even South America, which in most cases (not all) have a stronger indian origin or heritage which Dominicans do not. They consider themselves light years away from the other caribbean countries including, Puerto Rico but, have a deep respect for Cuba and it's people and in many occasions they will admit they are the best after Cuba as the best caribbean nation. The rest are below them in their own minds. This is my personal observation and not my personal opinion.

In central America Costa Rica thinks they are the best. In South America it's Argentina and maybe Uruguay and Cubans think they are the best of the Caribbean.

Last edited:

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I wasn't aware the average had opinions that deep. I mainly find that the average only really believe there is a future if they can get out of here. Most are disheartened if they are discussing a future here, even depressed when they learn of the difficulties they face in leaving. Most not all, those are my observations.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dominicans like to think of themselves as caribbean people first from spanish decent as in "SPAIN" and are very proud of this and their traditions. I think they see themselves as superior to Central America and even South America, which in most cases (not all) have a stronger indian origin or heritage which Dominicans do not. They consider themselves light years away from the other caribbean countries including, Puerto Rico but, have a deep respect for Cuba and it's people and in many occasions they will admit they are the best after Cuba as the best caribbean nation. The rest are below them in their own minds. This is my personal observation and not my personal opinion.

In central America Costa Rica thinks they are the best. In South America it's Argentina and maybe Uruguay and Cubans think they are the best of the Caribbean.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Most dominicans have no opinion either way on any of the other countries.

Furthermore, the education level is so low, that they couldnt even identify all those countries if you spotted them a blank map.

As for traditions, what tradtions ???
being Catholic .....speaking spanish.....

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Interesting that there is a pecking order here as well. I have understood the same thing exists among arabs, with Egyptians being at the top. From reading threads here, it seems as though Haitians are looked upon as inferior and/or undesirable by Dominicans. Funny thing is, while visiting an extremely multicultural (Brazilian, Salvadoran, Ecuadorian, Haitian etc.)town in Massachusetts recently, the only people I found to be consistently unfriendly, unkind, and in some cases downright rude, were the Haitians. When relating my experience to my host, he confirmed that it was not my imagination. Apparently, due to assumptions regarding my ethnicity, I was seen by them as undesirable.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I have to disagree with you on this one.

Most dominicans have no opinion either way on any of the other countries.

Furthermore, the education level is so low, that they couldnt even identify all those countries if you spotted them a blank map.

As for traditions, what tradtions ???
being Catholic .....speaking spanish.....

What do you don't get? Are you Dominican or of Caribbean decent? Probably NOT?

"Furthermore, the education level is so low, that they couldnt even identify all those countries if you spotted them a blank map."

Hang around with more educated people, it would help to get a better opinion on this subject!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I'd tell that pariguayo from Uruguay that while he may be "better" than the rest, at least "I know a bank where the wild thyme blows."

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
What do you don't get? Are you Dominican or of Caribbean decent? Probably NOT?

"Furthermore, the education level is so low, that they couldnt even identify all those countries if you spotted them a blank map."

Hang around with more educated people, it would help to get a better opinion on this subject!

You don't need to be Dominican to get it, he is spot on for the most part. The average Dominican is ignorant, yes you can always say hang around with more educated people, but well educated people do not make up the majority of this country and so when generalising can not represent the average Dominican.

There is little culture, the average Dominican doesn't know his arse from his elbow and although always have a lot to say, rarely is it anything that can stimulate an educated mind. By trying to pretend otherwise is pointless.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
actually, this is nothing of news to me. i have dated many Hispanic women, and i have had other acquaintances in the Hispanic community in the NY area. their assessments of Dominicans is not exactly complimentary. then again, they all hate each other's guts, so there is nothing strange there. they seem to hate each other for specific reasons, such as the disdain for the Cubans, whom they called "comemierdas", because of their exaggerated opinions of themselves. maybe the same applies to the guys from Uruguay, i guess.

Gorgon great post but let's not even take it down the race avenue. Let's keep it culturally and economically. Look at the rebuttal of your compatriot to this Uruguayan. " Tu me montas to' la cuerda buen maricon, cual es la mardita vaina la tuya? He did not understood what I said, all my words are in Spanish." What the hell is that??? Bachata, this isn't DR where you tell another Dominican this statement, he knows this tigre Dominican isn't joking around. Unfortunately, your are the "relajo" acompleja'o. This type of vernacular is unintelligible to other Hispanics. I can imagine the face of this Uruguayan, looking very perplex "que dice?

Gorgon look at the behavior of Dominicans in NY. They talk loud and are obnoxious. They think the louder and faster they talk makes them more macho. They walk into an office with dark shades attempt to cut anyone in line as if they were in the DR. Let's not get into the neighborhood as their little bodega. The spot to sit on milk crates playing dominoes flirting with every skirt that comes around. The women address anyone as "mi amol" and wear attire that are three size smaller with the expensive Gucci sunglasses. Majority don't take advantage of the schools to improve their Spanish and learn English rather sit down and watch tvnovelas all day. I recall going to a dominican barbershop and had to speak dominican vernacular to get a simple shape up but the icing on the cake was they where watching tvnovelas and talking about the next mujel they were going to conquer for the weekend. Nothing about the future rather the next trip to Santo Domingo to show off how large they are living in Nueva Yol. I recall how concerned myself and my Peruvian, Italian neighbors were in another Hispanic moved across the street. The remark from my Peruvian neighbor was, I hope they aren't Dominicans as the neighborhood will be ruined. Again, I had to travel to DR to realize that educated Dominicans exist as in the US they are seldom and the educated ones in the US don't let people know they are Dominicans to easily.

Mar 1, 2009
Wow, Dominicans are controversial people always. We can light up a party and make people laugh. Sometimes we go OVERBOARD. Usually we have good intentions, many other times we can be as bad as other Hispanics or even surprise, surprise. We Dominicans can't seem to win with regards to the whole racial thing. If we say were black, people say no your not, your Hispanic, you just wanna be black. If we say were Hispanic, people say no your not your black why you wanna be white?
We can't win, that's why we just say Dominican. We don't say Afro-Dominican or Euro-Dominican or even Asian or Arab Dominican....Cubans do that....Yo soy Afro-Cubano....we Dominicans like to keep it simple. Dominicano, that's it.
While growing up in dear sweet Jersey. I would see blondes dominicanas and Black or mulatto Dominicans married. No big deal, intra racial was a done deal way before Wesley Snipes and Anabella Sciorra did they thang in Jungle fever. Dominicanas even dated black American brutha's way before it was in thing. It was hard to accept at first in the 80's but it became more and more prevalent. Dominicans and Boricuas were breaking down racism way before anyone else. But Dominicans be racist, right?
Colombians and Venezuelans have a true segregation in their countries that wouldn't fly here....

Are there idiots in this island that like to be arrogant and stupid? YES, let them rot in their stupidity, but don't accuse the whole place of that.

Bachata tu eres un hombre. That Uruguayan is obviously a child, his comments are infantile and immature. You should call him out on it on the record. Look him in the eyes and in front of as many people as you can, tell him that next time he say's that you are taking him to HR. That will shut him up. Either that or you can wait for him outside and teach him a lesson in tic tac toe of course....;)

That lesson might get you fired, but you WILL feel sooooooo good. One day let me tell you the story of an Argentino who kept calling me "negro"....

Bachata I had a great friend from Uruguay, he told me that if I or any other Hispanic went to his country I wouldn't understand most of what he said. Whenever he would mention "please slide a little that way" it would be "movete un ca****o para sha"...Un Ca****o? what the hell is a ca****o?.....I've lived in Spain and I've visited other countries in Latin America, DR is no worse or better than those countries.

What I am reading is statements from a lotta haters....

LIAM your dumb remark about Dumbinicans is not cool, please do not repeat it or promote that type of thinking.
Squat....You don't know squat, we don't treat Haitians like kings in DR, but we do give them a chance, a shot in life, which is more than they'll ever get from the Do-Nothing Haitian government. The Dominican government is currently working with a difficult situation made even harder by Haitians themselves to get ALL the paper work in order. These people currently have NO PAPERS, NONE, NOTHING! Therefore they do NOT EXIST, there is no alleged nationality that is being stripped away. Now they will get closer to that path.

Gorgon. WE Dominicans recognize we have links to Europe and to AFRICA....We speak Spanish, a variety of Spanish. We speak the Caribbean variety. In Trujillo's time. People were forced to speak and write properly. You had to use the extremely formal vosotros instead of usted. If you could not read or write properly, you could not advance in society or travel outside of the country. The best Spanish was used, the best English speakers were used to represent the country. The lack of government investment in education, which is also one of the consequences of the IMF loan conditions. This has hindered the proper development of the masses, coupled with the endemic corruption and the departure of the best and the brightest to foreign shores.

I would consider that almost as theft of a natural resource...But alas water under the bridge....

Hernandez, you seem to be an idiot who makes idiotic statements. No response for you other than what have you done? Have you gone to the monthly trash pick ups done by civil society? I don't know you and I don't want to know someone with negative and prejudicial perceptions. So you can keep any and all answers to yourself.

Quisqueya? Are you sure your not Mississippi? If you even are Dominican, your comments are endophobic and clearly show an inferiority complex regarding Dominicans and their achievements great or small. We have Ghettos? We are on the bottom of latin Americas totem pole?
Dominicans are hard working folk and we have high rates of university attendance and graduation. We are sometimes very passive concerning challenges from other communities and fiercely confrontational regarding others. I think we have worked hard to live in Long island, Tea neck and the Heights, we look out for each other and back each other up. It happened with the Eye-talians, the Ay-rish, the Poles and every other group.
We are not at the bottom of any totem pole. Our culture is not inferior to any other.
We are the the Dominican Republic and country based on an idea, an idea that came forth from the mind of a very romantic man.
Dios, Patria y Libertad
Una patria libre y Soberana de toda dominacion extranjera,
etc, etc,
His ideas were infectious and attracted a coterie of followers among the young and progressive minds of that time. They achieved the initial goals of their movement but the struggle continues and the beat goes on.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gorgon great post but let's not even take it down the race avenue. Let's keep it culturally and economically. Look at the rebuttal of your compatriot to this Uruguayan. " Tu me montas to' la cuerda buen maricon, cual es la mardita vaina la tuya? He did not understood what I said, all my words are in Spanish." What the hell is that??? Bachata, this isn't DR where you tell another Dominican this statement, he knows this tigre Dominican isn't joking around. Unfortunately, your are the "relajo" acompleja'o. This type of vernacular is unintelligible to other Hispanics. I can imagine the face of this Uruguayan, looking very perplex "que dice?

Gorgon look at the behavior of Dominicans in NY. They talk loud and are obnoxious. They think the louder and faster they talk makes them more macho. They walk into an office with dark shades attempt to cut anyone in line as if they were in the DR. Let's not get into the neighborhood as their little bodega. The spot to sit on milk crates playing dominoes flirting with every skirt that comes around. The women address anyone as "mi amol" and wear attire that are three size smaller with the expensive Gucci sunglasses. Majority don't take advantage of the schools to improve their Spanish and learn English rather sit down and watch tvnovelas all day. I recall going to a dominican barbershop and had to speak dominican vernacular to get a simple shape up but the icing on the cake was they where watching tvnovelas and talking about the next mujel they were going to conquer for the weekend. Nothing about the future rather the next trip to Santo Domingo to show off how large they are living in Nueva Yol. I recall how concerned myself and my Peruvian, Italian neighbors were in another Hispanic moved across the street. The remark from my Peruvian neighbor was, I hope they aren't Dominicans as the neighborhood will be ruined. Again, I had to travel to DR to realize that educated Dominicans exist as in the US they are seldom and the educated ones in the US don't let people know they are Dominicans to easily.

Of course, the educated and rich Dominicans have no reason to move to anywhere else as they live the good life in the DR. If they want to go they just get a tourist Visa and go. I'm am surprised by the amount of Dominicans I've meant that are either American citizens or legal residents but chose not to live in the US, and no they are not deportees.
Go to Janilssy Barbershop , Cromwell place, White Plains.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Carribean Connection!!

[video=youtube_share;p03K_UVbzYo]http://youtu.be/p03K_UVbzYo[/video]

Mar 1, 2009
It's all about education and proper role models peeps. I thoroughly dislike when ppl call me tigere, I don't like when ppl say I can't possibly be Dominican because of the way I talk. I tell them that I'm old school Dominican. The Dominican Republic can't afford another Leonel Fernandez a passive some say alleged drug addict whose hands off approach has so damaged our country. We need and demand a person who will invest in the people, not monuments or buildings that will crumble and fall. Fully educating our people will make them proud, strong and able to advance on an equal footing with Uruguayans, Nicaraguans, Spaniards or whomever. We are already super talented, with a little investment we could fly.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
actually, this is nothing of news to me. i have dated many Hispanic women, and i have had other acquaintances in the Hispanic community in the NY area. their assessments of Dominicans is not exactly complimentary. then again, they all hate each other's guts, so there is nothing strange there. they seem to hate each other for specific reasons, such as the disdain for the Cubans, whom they called "comemierdas", because of their exaggerated opinions of themselves. maybe the same applies to the guys from Uruguay, i guess.

The disdain for Cubans is not as bad among dominicans as it is among South Americans. I've worked in Miami back in 2007
and the South Americans and Cubans were at each other throats. The Cubans have the reputation of only helping their owns and cutting everybody else. I used to out to lunch with a Cuban friend, He kept telling me that the Colombians and Argentinians can not stand US Cubans. The cronyism at the Miami-Dade county offices and at Miami univerity is unbearable.

With a rent of 1900$ for a two bedrooms apt in WASH HEIGHTS I do not call that ghetto. The educational attainment of second generation dominicans is greater than the overall Hisp. population.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2003/hispanics/index.asp

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans have more in common with Africa than with Spain'

How so ????

how so? like it or not, they are closer to being a caribbean island( british caribbean) than they are to being somewhere like Uruguay, or Mexico, or most of the really spanish countries in the hemisphere. just take a good look around you next time you go to a mass event like a concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.