A Kinder, Gentler Forum ... for Newbies

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
1) Don't try to land a job in the DR from abroad using a message board as a primary tool. Employers in the DR are up to our necks in applicants who actually live here and who have taken the time to meet us before asking us for work.

2) Don't try to enlist the help of local business owners to set up your competing business without at least buying them a beer at some point. (Even then it's not really something nice kids do on a first date)

3) Don't whine about the fact that there's corruption, crime and thievery in the third world. We feel your pain but your willful naivite produces in many of us an urge to show you some tough love by letting you know what a moron you are coming across as.

4) Don't ask what the local laws are and then complain when board members try to explain that it matters very little because what actually happens is: ____ This is not a society based on the rule of law. because there is no rule of law base it on.

I am sure there are more but that's all I can think f that hasn't been covered.

Premier

Aug 8, 2003
Never assume...

That this is an independent, public forum. The "legacy" members (mostly ex-pats) control the format and the direction of the content here. If they happen to own a business in the DR, you will be censored or at the very least "bitch slapped" if you say anything even remotely negative about thier business...

I would cite an example, but it will be deleted...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, let's tell the newbie nicely what the rules are:

That this is an independent, public forum.

Public, yes, Independent, yes - what you're not saying, is that it is an independently owned business for profit. As such the owners direct the proceedings.

The "legacy" members (mostly ex-pats) control the format and the direction of the content here.

No, they've just learnt the rules throughout the years, and in many cases participated in establishing the rules, to make this one of the most popular boards of its type in the world.

If they happen to own a business in the DR, you will be censored or at the very least "bitch slapped" if you say anything even remotely negative about thier business...

Any feedback about a business is accepted. If you want to be negative, make sure you can defend your statements in a court of law. If you cannot, and you're just complaining, you will be deleted. We keep it clean as much as we can.

I would cite an example, but it will be deleted...

Yes, probably ... mostly revenge posts like this are deleted. The board is not for playing out your personal revenges. If you have clear and proper feedback about business services, bad or good, I challenge you, try it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Oh yes number five:

Being down here for blatant sex tourism is not something to brag about. Most of us don't want to sit around judging others, but it helps if they keep from waving their dirty laundry around in public.

If you had a great time, write a letter to Penthouse. Those board members who are interested probably subscribe and can read it there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
1) Don't try to land a job in the DR from abroad using a message board as a primary tool. Employers in the DR are up to our necks in applicants who actually live here and who have taken the time to meet us before asking us for work.

So, we should stop referring all and any newcomers wanting jobs in call centers to you? ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
So, we should stop referring all and any newcomers wanting jobs in call centers to you? ;)

Unless they live in Santiago. :) What I can't do anything with are the PM's that go:

Hi! I live in Boston/Chicago/Wherever and am thinking about maybe moving somewhere near the Caribbean someday if things work out with the guy/girl I fell in love with at the resort I stayed at with my mom.

I would like to know before I move if you have any job openings for me. I am a serious dedicated hard working intelligent realistic down-to-earth person. (and I know you will believe me because you didn't read the first paragraph of this PM)

Thanks!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MrMike - thanks for the great laugh. I know it is also true but damn that was funny.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you want to have a good laugh

look at posts #3 and # 4 of thread "some posts seem very outdated" Two newbies going mano a mano combat.
john

(Really funny John, but now deleted unfortunately - the whole topic will simply create a huge bunfight ...)

Last edited by a moderator:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Adonde?...

why not get off your fat or flat a$$es and go out and enjoy the D.R. instead of wasting your time.
Schit, and I thought I had a hard and sexy butt. Go figure!!. :ermm: :ermm:

You sure that was me you saw?.

Feb 9, 2006
Never, ever...

Never, ever make candid remarks about the dynamics on this board or the way in which it is managed.

Never, ever insult the owner of the board or any of his close friends (and you'll know who they are...after).

Never, ever ask "Where did my post go?". You probably violated one of the first two never, evers.

Always be thankful that the "board heads" will even acknowledge you with a response.

Remember, a "newbie" is like a pledge in a fraternity/sorority. You exist for the "entertainment" of the brothers/sisters and they can berate you at any time for any reason. But, if you are lucky and they "like" you, you might get to be one of them one day. Then you got that going for you on your Dominican resume. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remember, a "newbie" is like a pledge in a fraternity/sorority. You exist for the "entertainment" of the brothers/sisters and they can berate you at any time for any reason. But, if you are lucky and they "like" you, you might get to be one of them one day. Then you got that going for you on your Dominican resume. ;)
There's some truth to that. But it's like that anywhere, IRL or virtual. A "newbie", whether in third grade, new on the job, or a Dominican message board, goes through the process of getting to know the varying personalities, and they getting to know you.

Meet some folks on trips to the DR and you'll have a whole new perspective on DR1.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh yes number five:

Being down here for blatant sex tourism is not something to brag about. Most of us don't want to sit around judging others, but it helps if they keep from waving their dirty laundry around in public.

If you had a great time, write a letter to Penthouse. Those board members who are interested probably subscribe and can read it there.
It's always amazed me why the sex tourists think it's some sort of badge of honor.