A new Apartment building going up in Santo Domingo D.N.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Tallest building in the Caribbean under construction here in S.D - Torre Anacaona 27 - 41 floors

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Looks like a building boom in SD. The cynic in me says that there is an awful lot of money being washed. The optimist in me says that this shows faith in the future of the country and an improvement in the local economy. Instead of building endless torres, I would like to see them rehab the remaining old stately homes with the courtyards from the 30s-50s that the middle and upper middle class called home. That would add a nice touch to the city and bring back some old neighborhoods.

I hate rooting for drug dealers or gangsters. I remember a few years ago a bunch of those construction projects used to get abandoned because the drug dealer or other gangster types got locked up. I hate seeing abandoned buildings.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
what an amazingly useful post, Pix! That is just what I was asking you for, the city zoning map.. whether they had planned out for the density. I do not quite understand the numbers on the map that are PC .. thought it was for density but that does not seem to work. Can you explain?

The PC stands for Consolidated Polygons (Poligonos Consolidados). This is done to allow for parcels to be manipulated as blocks of the same units.

This is also arranged by density based on levels, family occupancy, limit heights, etc...

It's pretty much what you asked for...

Zoom to 200% to legend and 3200% for density levels. At 6400% zoom you can grasp to the unit level by block.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
To this point the maximum height a building can reach is marked in the given PC by dark pink color. The number of floors would be around 40 to 45 depending on the ceilings height.

Each area has a density and height limit, denoted by the color on the survey.

This is also made according to ground particulars, water/sewage, traffic congestion/capacity/impact, etc...

There are plenty of plans like these with codes, water/sewage, electricity, etc... Even parks and public green areas.

Aug 6, 2006
A really bad idea: a condo in a tower in a hurricane zone.

I would never consider buying or living in any tall building like this in Santo Domingo, Miami, or anywhere in a hurricane zone. The reasons are bloody obvious. Even if your apartment was not wrecked, the insurance premiums would make the place outrageously expensive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"What Goes UP, MUST Come DOWN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I invite Kerry Sanders, who did the "PUFF Piece" on DR real estate Values, to come back today and see how the "If's, When's, and "Projected's" actually got built.
He should interview some investors in Donald Trump's failed "Cap Cana" development!
How old it that video???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, I figured out a lot of the color zones and the real absence of green. This is really a shame. I wish they had put in more pocket parks, more green zones. By the time all those places are built up and all those condo owners have their two cars, the place is going to be really, really bad.

In NYC, there were bonuses put in place for adding green spaces along the sidewalks. But it seems that none of the politics or any of the ricos ever try to walk in SD. IMHO only Gazcue and the ZONA are even walkable. The rest of the city is either just designed for cars or well.. who cares about the poor? really?

There are essentially NO parks for the kids. I have seen a few places which are right in the middle of the roads which is a pretty silly place for a park.. fumes on the one side, fumes on the other. We have these HUGE parks like El Faro which few people ever go to .. but the City should buy up a few of the vacant lots and just put in pocket parks, little neighborhood spaces for the mothers and kids.

MORE GREEN PLEASE

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I would never consider buying or living in any tall building like this in Santo Domingo, Miami, or anywhere in a hurricane zone. The reasons are bloody obvious. Even if your apartment was not wrecked, the insurance premiums would make the place outrageously expensive.

I rode out a direct hit of a hurricane in the early 80's in the DR in the penthouse of an apartment building that was at least 20 floors high. We had a couple of broken panes in the windows, but that was all the damage. If prepared properly prepared you can minimize the damage. I suggest you revisit your statistics.

Aug 6, 2006
It was true of condos here in Miami. Hurricane Wilma caused hundreds of people to evacuate their condos, and insurance premiums shot up a lot as well.

If someone wants to live in a condo in hurricane zone, that is fine with me, but I would never consider it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't worry too much about hurricanes, it's the earthquakes that will bring down those high rise buildings!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
elipse1fc6.jpg

elipse4wd5.jpg

elipse5rc5.jpg
elipse7zs9.jpg

elipse8xz3.jpg

dibujopf6.png

52937545743734432615710.jpg

Did they rename Avenida Enrique Jimenez Moya?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a cousin of ours recently bought a two level apartment somewhere in SD city center, 24 million pesos. and i know there are apartments going all the way up to 40 million and more. those who buy them do not need mortgages, i am pretty sure. if they have a financing plan it is fairly short term.

earthquakes... i understand that with very strong shakes all you can do is hope for the best. engineering is one thing but pure luck also has its place in the equation...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"P-Man", I know what you mean about New York City being a BETTER place to "Ride Out" an earthquake than Santo Domingo!!!
I mean here in Santo Domingo, the fire department will send highly trained first responders, with all their "State-Of-The-Art" equipment to resque everyone!
They will then all be transported by hundreds of ambulances to any of the numerous well equipped, and supplied, hospitals where trained doctors, nurses, & technicians,will provide them with expert medical treatment.
The government will immediately spring into action to get the infrastructure up and running within days of the event, providing the people with food, water, electricity, sanitation, and immunizations against Cholera and other diseases.
This will be fairly easy as all the necessary equipment,food, and medicine has been pre-positioned for just such an event!
The same also applies to hurricanes, as I personally saw in 1998 after Hurricane George"!
Those fools in NYC haven't even thought about preparing for ANY emergencies!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Please send me some of whatever you have been smoking.