A new Apartment building going up in Santo Domingo D.N.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
"P-Man", I know what you mean about New York City being a BETTER place to "Ride Out" an earthquake than Santo Domingo!!!
I mean here in Santo Domingo, the fire department will send highly trained first responders, with all their "State-Of-The-Art" equipment to resque everyone!
They will then all be transported by hundreds of ambulances to any of the numerous well equipped, and supplied, hospitals where trained doctors, nurses, & technicians,will provide them with expert medical treatment.
The government will immediately spring into action to get the infrastructure up and running within days of the event, providing the people with food, water, electricity, sanitation, and immunizations against Cholera and other diseases.
This will be fairly easy as all the necessary equipment,food, and medicine has been pre-positioned for just such an event!
The same also applies to hurricanes, as I personally saw in 1998 after Hurricane George"!
Those fools in NYC haven't even thought about preparing for ANY emergencies!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Please send me some of whatever you have been smoking.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I mean here in Santo Domingo, the fire department will send highly trained first responders, with all their "State-Of-The-Art" equipment to resque everyone!
They will then all be transported by hundreds of ambulances to any of the numerous well equipped, and supplied, hospitals where trained doctors, nurses, & technicians,will provide them with expert medical treatment.
The government will immediately spring into action to get the infrastructure up and running within days of the event, providing the people with food, water, electricity, sanitation, and immunizations against Cholera and other diseases.
This will be fairly easy as all the necessary equipment,food, and medicine has been pre-positioned for just such an event!

Yeah, like when Katrina hit New Orleans, right?

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Like when my wife had a seizure in Santo Domingo, and all the family members said put her in the car and let's try to find the nearest hospital. Nobody said call 911, because they knew that nobody but us gave a **** if she got to the hospital. When we got there the ER attendants attitude was: She must be a drug OD too bad for her. It took five minutes of pleading that she wasn't to get them to look at her.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Or... More recently when NYC had a small passing by storm...
All the first "super-loaded/trained" responders could do was watch in awe as blocks went up in fire one after the other...

Yup! Classic!

They are still waiting for basic services to be put back in full service in those same blocks to this day, like 24/7 elect...

Yup!

Classic!

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Does Santo Domingo have basic, run of the mill, everyday EMT service yet? What about stuff

like 24/7 elect...

Yup!

Classic!

when mother nature has nothing but sunny days with gentle breezes for you?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Churchill changes name after you pass Sarasota [going south] - it's Jimenez Moya the rest of the way to the malecon.
Actually, Churchill goes from Kennedy to 27 de Febrero. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I rode out a direct hit of a hurricane in the early 80's in the DR in the penthouse of an apartment building that was at least 20 floors high. We had a couple of broken panes in the windows, but that was all the damage. If prepared properly prepared you can minimize the damage. I suggest you revisit your statistics.
People living in apartment buildings (or even in houses) should buy the remote-controlled shutters that are placed outside the window. Most of the time you will use it to block the sunlight whenever it bothers you or even to keep possible intruders out since its practically impossible to penetrate these things. When a hurricane nears, lower the shutters on all your windows and problem solved. Once the storm passes, shutters go back up again... until the sunlight reminds you to lower them a little. LOL

They are also convenient when traveling inland or abroad, just lower them on a just in case basis.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll ride an earthquake in SD over NYC any time!

would you also prefer to be trapped on the 29th floor of a Santo Domingo high rise fire, than one in NYC? i can just see all those engine and ladder companies barreling down Churchill, with several ambulances and trauma personnel in tow.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
would you also prefer to be trapped on the 29th floor of a Santo Domingo high rise fire, than one in NYC? i can just see all those engine and ladder companies barreling down Churchill, with several ambulances and trauma personnel in tow.

You bet! If they fire doesn't kill you in that NYC fire, the asbestos and God knows what other sure to kill stuff will.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
What about many of the projects that go unfinished for a long period of time. There are a few of those around and quite the eyesore. I have had out of town guests here for the past week. They have been coming every year for the past 9 years and they remarked that the Capital is looking rather "rundown".

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
What about many of the projects that go unfinished for a long period of time. There are a few of those around and quite the eyesore. I have had out of town guests here for the past week. They have been coming every year for the past 9 years and they remarked that the Capital is looking rather "rundown".

Opinions vary, but the fact that there's a lot of construction going on within the city of SD is a fact hard to avoid.

Some projects are undertaken in a timely manner, others just the "DR" way, which is nothing more than make the money and spend/build as you go. Those long waiting to be "finished" projects happen to be built as money comes, freed from bank payments.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I like how new building breaks the mold of the old concrete boxes in the city.

Each new project seeks to create a different new concept in the city.

[video=youtube;Gk4TNwRDh0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4TNwRDh0Q[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You bet! If they fire doesn't kill you in that NYC fire, the asbestos and God knows what other sure to kill stuff will.

i get it now. you would prefer to be burnt to a crisp rather then suffer from smoke inhalation. to each his own.

by the way; how many cherry pickers do you know the Santo Domingo FD to possess? functioning ones, that is.

J

jcornelio

question

hello there, what do you mean: $1000 USD M2 is too much. do you mean a $1000/month?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
what i like about dr the houses or apartments dont have wood framing so the fire wont be so bad. and i noticed i havent seen one walmart plastic chair

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Looks like a building boom in SD. The cynic in me says that there is an awful lot of money being washed. The optimist in me says that this shows faith in the future of the country and an improvement in the local economy. Instead of building endless torres, I would like to see them rehab the remaining old stately homes with the courtyards from the 30s-50s that the middle and upper middle class called home. That would add a nice touch to the city and bring back some old neighborhoods.

Indeed, some areas of Santo Dominigo are definitely worth rehabbing. Although some pockets of the city do see a little renovation with older properties, it would be nice to more being done.