A Question For US Citizens That Live In DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Weapons are tools. If one makes the decision to bring a weapon to bear then one uses the most appropriate tool for the job. As often repeated in the movies, "you do not bring a knife to a gun fight." Or more succinctly, you do not initiate a confrontation at a disadvantage.

In this country, for self defense, the only practical choice is a firearm. That's what many of the ladrones have and the minimum that you will need to thwart an armed interloper. Defending one's life is not an endeavor where you should be making compromises. If you are concerned enough to take action and confront a criminal, then you are all in or you are better off being all out and hope they leave before you come face to face with them. It is understood that crime prevention in this country is seriously lacking and response times if you can get someone to answer a 911 call are inconsistent at best. In a life or death encounter you will likely be on your own until that situation is resolved one way or the other. If you insert yourself into such a situation, you will need a good amount of resolve and the tool(s) to follow through.

Not every situation requires the use of a firearm but every confrontational situation here has the potential to require one. If you are not 100% committed to doing all that is necessary to protect life, then you are better off doing nothing and just escaping the situation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Which prompts a question...what weapons are really legal? I would first need to get the weapon into the country. Samurai swords, tactical knives, bo staff, taser,...? Guns are out of question.

I don't think you would have a problem importing most or all of those items into the DR or purchasing them locally for home use.

The problem I think you would have is that these items would give you a false sense of security.

Like others have suggested, don't bring a sword, knife, baseball bat, taser... to a gun fight.

Why is a firearm out of the question? The best home defense item would be a shotgun.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I don't think you would have a problem importing most or all of those items into the DR or purchasing them locally for home use.

The problem I think you would have is that these items would give you a false sense of security.

Like others have suggested, don't bring a sword, knife, baseball bat, taser... to a gun fight.

Why is a firearm out of the question? The best home defense item would be a shotgun.

Eh...importing the two guns I have is unlawful. And, from what I understand, getting a firearm in DR is VERY difficult. Maybe a shotgun is easier, albeit expensive?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The legal gun licensing/purchasing process here in the DR is expensive and time consuming. That info does not negate the fact that gun violence here is a very real threat and many criminals have an illegal gun to facilitate their chosen vocation. The DR is not the only country with this problem, but the common theme everywhere seems to be that life has very little value to those whose motivation is profit over being a decent human being.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
shotgun - escopeta - is easier some ways -- renewals for one

but yes, gun licensing is a pain....in general

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Eh...importing the two guns I have is unlawful. And, from what I understand, getting a firearm in DR is VERY difficult. Maybe a shotgun is easier, albeit expensive?

Correct that any guns you have not in the DR must remain out of the DR. You would not be allowed to import a firearm nor ammunition.

The shotgun is the way to go if you are looking for home protection. Yes they are far more expensive here, as are all firearms, but not that difficult if you are a legal resident with no criminal background.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A shotgun is somewhat cheaper to purchase but the initial licensing process is ostensibly the same as for a handgun. Shotgun licenses do not need to be renewed every year as is the case for the other.

It has to be a very dire situation indeed before a foreigner in this country decides to shoot someone. If retreat and escape is a viable option, I'd recommend that every time. In my home country, shooting anyone regardless of the justification is going to result in charges and a day in court where a judge will ultimately decide the question of justification. A resident foreigner in this country can probably expect expect much the same.

Unlike some jurisdictions in the USA much of the world does not have stand-your-ground laws and in particular the law does not place the value of property over and above the life of another. The DR is just such a place so you will need to demonstrate a tangible fear for your immediate well being before being given a pass. A firearm is hopefully a tool of ultimate last resort - having one if needed and never using it except to practice may be the best of both worlds.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
And have had their property vandalized where they live.....

Is there anything that can be done to report such incidents to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo?

When I go on their website, they have an emergency contact number, but it appears that they can only help in certain matters pertaining to arrest, death, hospitalization or missing inidividuals.

Does anyone know if they might assist in matters of vandalism?

I have heard that they might make a call on your behalf to the Procuraduria to which they would then call the Fiscalia investigating the matter? Not sure if that is even the case.

Why would you think that the US Embassy would help with a local incident? Does a Dominican living in NY call the DR Consulate when they are robbed in Washington Heights? Call the local police - you have chosen to live in the Dominican Republic and be governed under Dominican Law. Sorry to hear about your troubles as they can be frustrating to deal with anywhere on the planet, but use common sense.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Why would you think that the US Embassy would help with a local incident? Does a Dominican living in NY call the DR Consulate when they are robbed in Washington Heights? Call the local police - you have chosen to live in the Dominican Republic and be governed under Dominican Law. Sorry to hear about your troubles as they can be frustrating to deal with anywhere on the planet, but use common sense.

I don't really get all the animosity to the question here on this board. I already knew all of this, but I am asking for others that keep hounding me with this question-Being Dominicans that do not understand the U.S. Embassy would be of no assistance in such matters-unless arrest-missing persons or death. However, the animosity in the response to the question has me baffled as well.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Sorry, if I sounded negative. You went through a bad experience and seeking whatever assistance might be available. Don't know where you live but here in the capital people talk. We got robbed once when my wife accidentally left the front door open. Fortunately the thief was a harmless idiot. Took a toaster oven and walked out. Two people came to me within 4 hours ratting him out for a $100 peso tip.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
So I guess if I get arrested or deceased in the process of trying to protect my property from vandalism and/or personal safety, then maybe they will do something.
The embassy will provide standard consular services, full stop. The embassy will notify your family and provide visits, and REQUEST that the host country treat you well. If you are a high value citizen, the embassy may offer something for you, e.g., one of the host country's detained nationals that it wants back.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
I have an umbrella stand with an umbrella, a baseball bat, a machete and a shotgun in it. I have used two of the four depending on the weather and anyone who bothered my casa. I hope not to use the other two but you never know.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Here is the webpage from the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo listing everything that they can and cannot do for you in case of arrest. It's pretty much what everyone here has already said.

link

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Which prompts a question...what weapons are really legal? I would first need to get the weapon into the country. Samurai swords, tactical knives, bo staff, taser,...? Guns are out of question.

..after looking carefully at this......I have a baseball bat and a very effective flare gun, and the army knife from viet nam....your question was about the US embassy,,the other people are correct...dont even think about the Dominican Police ...all they will do is take your money, and if they happen to catch the bad guy and he pays them enough he goes free.......Doc........

gatito

Banned
Nov 1, 2016
its not your property

What are your expectations? An arrest, payment for the damages, a shoulder to cry on? None of those are likely with the police and are not something the Embassy will get involved with, except perhaps the shoulder option.

If your property is being damaged, it may or may not continue. Plant a security guard on your property and reduce the likelihood of further occurrences...assuming the security guard stays awake.

Consider installing motion sensor lights, video cameras or allowing a couple of vicious poodles license to roam and attack freely. Post a sign "Propiedad protegida por la Sra. Glock y el Sr. Remington".

If you are an american in Dominican Republic and you think you own that country or that that country owes you something. Give your head a shake. You cannot and will not own anything in their country. Go back to america. Just like you would not give a Dominican the time of day in america,... they don't want you here either. Your arrogance fogs your sense of reason. Whatever you think you paid for, is not yours. It is theirs. You cannot take things from other people with money. Your property was not vandalized, their property was vandalized. when you realize that, you will not feel like you had a problem. So go back to USA and stay there, domincans don't want you, just like you don't want them. Nuff said.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
..after looking carefully at this......I have a baseball bat and a very effective flare gun, and the army knife from viet nam....your question was about the US embassy,,the other people are correct...dont even think about the Dominican Police ...all they will do is take your money, and if they happen to catch the bad guy and he pays them enough he goes free.......Doc........

I know people that have used flare guns effectively.