A Question For US Citizens That Live In DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are no rules in a street fight. The goal is to act first and prevent further risk.

Sprays and chemical deterrents may give you a bit of time to put some distance between you and the person you are spraying but may not put the person down and and out for the count. If they have a firearm, you can pretty much bet that if they can't see, they'll be firing in every direction and they only need to get lucky once.

A taser that shoots barbs would be preferable to a spray. If you don't have an offensive weapon to engage a target at distance, you really need to consider your options before stepping closer to potential trouble. In your home, a bat swung with maximum force as someone comes around a corner or through a doorway has a better chance of success than confronting someone at "close range" while in plain view holding a can of bug spray.

Anything is better than nothing, but most handheld common items fall far short of ideal and only offer a marginal increase in personal safety in a direct confrontation.

Jan 7, 2016
As a matter of personal experience with the U.S. Consul General's Office in Punta Cana: I had a burglary at my home there a few years back and the police came and investigated and took a report. Said to come to the station and pick it up in a couple of days. So, I waited, and went to the station 3 days later and the Desk SGT looked and looked and couldn't find the Police Report so I could file my Insurance Claim. Said it wasn't available. Called the Consul General's Office and the CG said for me to wait for a few minutes and he'd call me right back. 5 minutes later, I get a call from him AND the Desk SGT and the report was READY and I COULD COME IMMEDIATELY and pick it up! I don't know what kind of pressure he put on the guy, but it sure worked almost instaneously!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The police in this country know who does what. They
know who the "characters" and "bad actors" are within
the community. Dominicans talk. I think those of us
who live here know exactly what I mean. If you are
interested in finding the people responsible, let the
local PN know you are willing to help them $$$ if they
are willing to help you.. 2,000 pesos goes a
very long way with them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The police in this country know who does what. They
know who the "characters" and "bad actors" are within
the community. Dominicans talk. I think those of us
who live here know exactly what I mean. If you are
interested in finding the people responsible, let the
local PN know you are willing to help them $$$ if they
are willing to help you.. 2,000 pesos goes a
very long way with them.

It is sad that this is how it works, but it is true.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It is sad that this is how it works, but it is true.

More like they can't even get up from their desk in the office to investigate anything at all. Everything is done at the desk and up to the victims to investigate the crimes perpetrated against them. LOL.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
finally a true statement its all about the money in this country 2000 pesos and you have a friend for life .. until the Government starts paying a decent salary things will never change ... that's just the way it is folks ...

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
finally a true statement its all about the money in this country 2000 pesos and you have a friend for life .. until the Government starts paying a decent salary things will never change ... that's just the way it is folks ...

The government likes to keep things the way they are thank you very much.....an efficient PN would disrupt their widespread corruption....

Hi=

Sep 24, 2018
If you are arrested the most they can do is give you a list of lawyers who speak english. No embassy can get involved with their citizens judicial process in another country