A-Rods 'nationality'

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
I haven't seen anyone mention the brouhaha which has been going on in most of the Dominican press and radio/tv talk and call-in shows regarding
A-Rod introducing himself as 'USA' instead of 'The Dominican Republic' as many Dominicans expected or hoped.

As most of you may know, Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez was born in the USA to Dominican parents and in the Dominican Republic he has always been included with other legitimate Dominicans such as Sosa, Pujols, Tejada, Ramirez, Ortiz, etc., etc. Well, the bubble burst for many baseball fans and
now they are tearing into A-Rod and saying they will not care about his achievements any more.

Personally, I think if he was born in the US and is a US citizen and has only visited the DR on occassion he has every right to say USA, not DR. In fact, what does it matter anyways? Any opinions?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
He was born in the USA and spent most of his life there. He is not a real Dominican like Sammy Sosa or David Ortiz. He is an American of Dominican heritage. I don't see what the uproar is about.

Larry

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
It's all bullcrap. It's complete BS to try to call him a "gringo" now, and that's what it amounts to people wanting to do. People on these talk shows forget why they're here, to be American. To live the American life, the American dream, to earn decent wages to support a family.

I don't think ARod meant nothing derogatory about identifying himself as American. He is American, born and raised. He is of DR descent. I'm sure he is proud of that descent and identifies with it, but the fact is, he's American.

It's something I've dealt with all my life as my parents are from Caribbean islands, but I was born in NYC. I've gone back for summers there several times, and identify with Jamaicans and St. Kittians. I fly the flags, cook the food, drink the drink, understand the issues, and all. It's in my blood. Am I American or not?

For those folks who are chastizing him for saying that, I wonder why they feel such a need to label him. He represents both cultures. He's the product of Dominican parents who've made it here. He's their dream come true, stop being delusional. If his parents have no problem with it, why should anyone else? They've done what many Dominicans aspire to do, and their son has been very successful. I sincerely doubt they are ashamed of him.

xicadasilva1

Oct 14, 2004
I think u are mistaken...not everyone is here with the sole purpose of becoming an American. I do agree with you that A-Rod is correct in stating that he is American. I don't believe people should feel as if he has denied his culture. they need to understand that he was born her,thus adapting the American life and nationality.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
xicadasilva1 said:
I think u are mistaken...not everyone is here with the sole purpose of becoming an American. I do agree with you that A-Rod is correct in stating that he is American. I don't believe people should feel as if he has denied his culture. they need to understand that he was born her,thus adapting the American life and nationality.
Okay, I generalized. My bad.

Not everyone's sole purpose is to be an American. But many leave the island for the opportunities afforded to Americans. To work as Americans do, to earn as Americans do, to live as Americans do, to provide for their families as Americans can do, to strive towards their aspirations as America allows. They're not coming to America for fun. They want a better life for themselves and their families. What they do when they retire or boatload of money is their decision, but they have lived an American life in America, no matter where they're from.

A-Rod just was able to make his family's dream come true. There were plenty of sacrifices made by his family, I'm sure, for him to get to where he is. I don't believe at all that he's turned his back on the DR, or is ashamed of his heritage. He was just stating the obvious.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
A Rods Dad???

I was told that A Rod never knew who his father was is that true?? it was said that his Mom got pregnant with him and left to Florida without letting A Rod's father know that she was actually pregnant.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
My Take On This.....

I've had many discussions about this same sort of topic with my friends.
I myself born in Canada of Portuguese heritage. To be honest if somebody asks me where I'm from I say I'm Portuguese. Yes I was born in Canada but I was raised with Portuguese culture. My parents only speak the language they speak limited English. I eat the food, live in a the Portuguese community and just grew up with the culture around me. Just because I wasn't born in Portugal doesn't mean I'm not Portuguese.
If I was just to say I was Canadian it would be weird because all I've learned growing up is how to be a Portuguese!
But if someone asked me where I was born of course I'd say Canada.
So is he wrong I couldn't say it all depends on how he grew up. I don't know if he actually knows about his Dominican culture. But when it comes down to it he is Dominican it's in his blood no?

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
On A-Rod

I believe he is an American, afterall we are all Americans, this is the Americas. He was born in the USA to Dominican Parents, he can officially get Dominican citizenship, so that makes him Dominican-American. He did know his father, Victor Rodriguez, he was a baseball player in the Dominican Leagues. A little known fact, Arods family moved to the Dominican Republic after he was born, so he at least touch Dominican tierra before becoming famous. (unlike Sanchez, *cough*)
Now is he pure Dominican? No. We dont know if he likes Merengue or Bachata, dance it, speak Dominican spanish, if he owns a house in DR, etc. But he is another form of Dominican, 1st generation-born Dominican-American.

Good Day,
CAPO

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
This thing about nationalilty or national identity is all a political issue, and it is only relevant to politicians who exploit it... Also, I heard A-Rod signed a lucrative commercial sponsorship contract which binds him to state that his nationality is US.

Mirador

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
A rod

I think he said the truth he is a US born Person so if the ask him to say your name and nationality that's what he is suppose to say. Sports Broadcasters in DR tend to create a hype only to make everyone believe that they know everyone and they are friends with everyone.
Now what people didnt like in DR was the fact that every time he goes there he says that is more DOMINICAN than the PLATANO itself AND when he came and said on the game that he was from USA then a lot of people saw it with the wrong eyes.

The fact is that he is an American, just like Felix Sanchez, Moises Alou and others that have Dominican Parents but are not DOMINICAN BORN IN THE ISLAND themselfs. So i think people should calm down see things for what they are and just carry on !

Just look at it this way, when someone asks in DR where are you from and you were born in "La Capital" but your parents where born in "Bani" you dont say im from BANI because your parent were born there, you say im from "LA CAPITAL" all the time. so it's the same thing. So people just chill and take it easy that my poor country is going trough a tough time to be thinking and concentrating on what a BASEBALL PLAYER SAID. :bandit:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
A ROD IS AMERICAN (DOMINICAN AMERICAN) or Born in the US of Dominican Parents (what the hell is going on) he stated the truth there's afew thousands of us around in the world and Dominican newspapers are just trying to cash in turning the whole point around he is indeed a first generation AMERICAN like me it just happen that he decided to say im an AMERICAN and did not add DOMINICAN in it, what's the big deal sometimes i say im DOMINICAN from Samana' however my family is from Samana' not me.

everybody knows he is Dominican American why all this hoopla!?

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Alex Rodriguez

capodominicano said:
I believe he is an American, afterall we are all Americans, this is the Americas. He was born in the USA to Dominican Parents, he can officially get Dominican citizenship, so that makes him Dominican-American. He did know his father, Victor Rodriguez, he was a baseball player in the Dominican Leagues. A little known fact, Arods family moved to the Dominican Republic after he was born, so he at least touch Dominican tierra before becoming famous. (unlike Sanchez, *cough*)
Now is he pure Dominican? No. We dont know if he likes Merengue or Bachata, dance it, speak Dominican spanish, if he owns a house in DR, etc. But he is another form of Dominican, 1st generation-born Dominican-American.

Good Day,
CAPO

He owns at least a two floor penthouse apartment in Santo Domingo. This was pointed out to me by my wife's niece whose balcony has a view of his building.

JD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Take The "Two Floor Apt." story to the bank!

Dominicans have been know to both "start",and to "promote" rumors of "everything"! ;) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its all simple, both parties want to claim his nationality because he is a "star" baseball player. Now if he were a drug dealer, he would be just another "****" in USA.
AZB

"We Don't Use The "S" word here!CC

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
how about an OJ Simpson number?

Suppose A-Rod did an OJ number and murdered his wife, would he be 'from the Dominican Republic' or 'USA'?

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
phew!!!

Criss Colon said:
;) Cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

As is your custom, you missed the point entirely. If you were a bit less passionate and more understanding that your opinions have no more value than anyone else's perhaps you would understand things better. Too bad!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Take A-rods genetic sample. It will show pure Dominican traits since he was "made" by a Dominican father and Dominican mother. That guy probably has more genetic mixture than most Americans have, thanks to the mixing in the DR.

The reason (in my opinion) why Dominicans are not very fond of A-rod ever since he decided to "privar en ser gringo" as they say, is because he is still considered a Dominican.

Why?

His flesh and bones are from Quisqueya 100%. Had his mother wait the full 9 months in the DR before heading to Florida when she was pregnant, A Rod would have been born, looking the same but in the DR. As such, he's a "genetic" Dominican.

Most Dominicans expect "genetic" Dominicans to identify at least a bit with the island nation that eventually made it possible for him/her to come into existence. After all, the actions of Juan Pablo Duarte back in the 1800s had an indirect effect into everything the DR has fallen into, even the minute things like the pregnancy of A Rod's mother to give birth to him. If the DR was never created, A Rod's parents probably would have never met or not even be born, etc. As such, some pride for the island is expected.

Unfortunately, there are many "A Rod" types around. They were born elsewhere, though from Dominican "parts". They learn to live double lives (one as Americans and the other as Dominican expatriate) and due to their lack of interest in Dominican culture, its history, its development, add to that the possibility that he equates the DR with poverty and not knowing nothing about the DR will make A Rod or anybody under those circumstances feel ashame.

He also looks at most Dominicans players, who are much darker in complexion than himself. In American baseball, Dominicans are perceived to be charcoal black, despite the truth being more varied. Becuase he was sorrounded by the US black/white mentality, he might not want to be assosiated with a country that is wrongly considered black. That could also be another possibility.

To tell you the truth, its quite evident that A Rod is a "proud" man, a little too proud and that pride could very well have lead him to pick the US over the DR.

Now, Sammy and Pedro and other players help around the DR with charity and certain economic development incentives they have tried to create in their communities (Sammy's 40/40 Plaza is a good example in San Pedro). The question now is, A Rod with all his millions and publicity, which charity has he helped out for those Dominicans who were not fortunate to have their mothers move to Miami while they were still in the placenta?

These are things Dominicans have been watching for sometime, but conveniently rejected, until A. Rod made it clear that he denies his roots. He could very easily have said "I'm American of Dominican decent", but he didn't and when commentators and reporters refer to him as American or don't include him in the list of "Dominican players", he does nothing to add that extra fact that is so fundamental to his existence.

A Rod is American of Dominican decent. In my opinion, he should always mention that, not just American.

Its like a mulatto saying he's only white or black when in fact he's both!

A Rod should be more like Felix Sanchez. A Rod should embrace the American culture as much as Felix Sanchez embraces the Dominican culture, but A Rod needs to learn to never reject or omit an important part of who he is.

Felix Sanchez loves the DR and its quite clear bringing Olympic Gold to this country, but he is very much aware of his American roots and despite he being obssessed with the DR, he never denies his American roots or omits it.

A Rod in the other sense, is a disgrace compared to Felix Sanchez.

A man that can't be proud of his roots, is a man that can't be proud of himself. Afterall, one's roots are the cause of one's self and although people have a choice as to what they want to do in life, the one thing people can't choose is who they are and their own roots.

People don't choose in what country they should be born in or to what parents, but people must give some credit to everything that they are made up of equally, not just one side.

That is my opinion on this.

Last edited: