A-Rods 'nationality'

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Nal0whs said:
These are things Dominicans have been watching for sometime, but conveniently rejected, until A. Rod made it clear that he denies his roots. He could very easily have said "I'm American of Dominican decent", but he didn't and when commentators and reporters refer to him as American or don't include him in the list of "Dominican players", he does nothing to add that extra fact that is so fundamental to his existence.

The irony is rich. :cheeky:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Nal0whs, I like your analysis on A-Rod and agree with most of it. He does try to blend in more with the Anglo world than the Latino one. Most Dominican ballplayers have come from the lower classes, with rare exceptions, and are also mostly of darker complexion. Some of those rare exceptions are the very Americanized A-Rod, although he has clearly distinguishable Dominican features, and Albert Pujols who looks almost 'white'.

As far as ballplayers that give back to their community, I have lived in Bani for the past year and have been witness to the good that Miguel Tejada of the Orioles does. When he returns from the US at the end of every season he brings a truckload, literally, of gloves, bats, spikes, uniforms for the less-fortunate kids of his town and is always helpful and friendly in the community.

This guy deserved winning the home run derby this year and his MVP with the A's a couple of years back. He, along with classy guys like Pujols and happy-go-lucky talented ones like David Ortiz (WHO'S YOUR PAPI?) makes all Dominicans proud.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
say what

Nal0whs said:
Now, Sammy and Pedro and other players help around the DR with charity and certain economic development incentives they have tried to create in their communities (Sammy's 40/40 Plaza is a good example in San Pedro). The question now is, A Rod with all his millions and publicity, which charity has he helped out for those Dominicans who were not fortunate to have their mothers move to Miami while they were still in the placenta?

That is my opinion on this.

Your not talking about the little run down building in San Pedro with sammy's statue out front are you?

If thats an example they should have built a parking lot. last I knew it was more shell than anything,

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bienamor said:
Your not talking about the little run down building in San Pedro with sammy's statue out front are you?

If thats an example they should have built a parking lot. last I knew it was more shell than anything,
At least he tried with good intentions, unlike A Rod who have never been seen or commented on helping any poor, let alone a Dominican!

In fact, I have probably contributed more to certain charities and improvement projects here in the DR than A Rod have, think about that for a moment!

I don't really have to because I don't have "celebrity status" and yet, I do my part. A Rod has celebrity status, everybody knows what he does on the field and off the field (thanks to paparatsis (spelling?)) and yet, he does nothing that would make his image more "down to earth".

Instead, he focuses on making sure his image is not equated to anything Dominican!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In addition to all that I have said, this is probably proof that A Rod have no idea of how great the DR can be.

He probably has a fixed negative image of the country or an image that he prefers to not be true, thus the feeling of shame overwhelm him.

But, I truly believe A Rod have no idea of what the Dominican Republic truly is. After all, this country is not just home to shoeshine boys who strike it rich on Baseball or ramshackled slums, etc.

Though, they exist and are very much a part of this country, the DR is also a country that produces fabulous and talented people in all spheres of society. In the fashion world we are represented by Sunny Bonelly and Oscar de la Renta. The DR is also represented in the literature world with fabulous writings from Julia Alvarez among others. In art we got the talented Candido Bido, in Music we have reached the deepest corners of the western world. Our beloved Merengue is always being played in some club in many countries in this world and Bachata is not far behind in its footsteps.

In addition to that, there are neighborhoods in SDQ and STG and gated communities across the island that rival the plushest neighborhoods of Florida or California. Our countryside is among the most beautiful in the world and our beaches are beloved the world over. Our culture is seen as mostly hospitable and pleasant. There is so much more to the Dominican Republic than meets the eye.

To conclude, anybody who wants to feel ashame of the DR can easily do so. They got lots of "evidence" to back their shame. In equal ways, anybody who wants to feel proud of the DR can also easily do so.

This country has been created and set before our very own eyes. How we perceive what we see and how we react to it reveals an inner problem or solution that we have within our ownselves.

A person who only see's the bad in Dominican society is a person who can hardly be considered happy. A person who see's the good in Dominican society can be considered to be happy and optimistic.

It's clear that A Rod has an uneasy relationship with this island. But, the truth is the truth, he is Dominican. He can deny it with his mouth, but just take a good look at him. His physical feature say another story, another side that he conveniently chooses to ignore probably out of ignorance for this country.

It's a shame, because the DR is such a great place. This country deserves its childrens and "childrens of its children" to give a bit more respect, especially among people who are in the spot light all the time.

Thank God A Rod is more of an exception, but its a shame.

I just wonder if he gets along with other Dominican players?

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Reality Check Already, Please

There's some complete bullshit being spewed on this thread. So I'll add my own to the mix.

Was the direct question asked of him "Are you, or do you consider yourself, American, Dominican, or Dominican-American?" Somehow I sincerely doubt that.

Can anyone here find a negative word that ARod's ever uttered about the DR?

There are some people on here with some true self-esteem issues!!!

First, Felix Sanchez gets blasted here for trying to represent the DR to the whole world, even though he is American. Should be an honorable gesture, considering it was the island's 1st Olympic gold. No, not acceptable. He's not Dominican enough. Now ARod's getting blasted here for saying he's American. What, he's not Dominican now? Which way do you want it?

When are you gonna learn that sports figures and celebrities are NOT role models. Stop making them important. What's really funny is that some the people pissed off at ARod are supposedly educated people. You got one man trying to tell another man how to spend his charity money??? That's more BS!

SO WHAT if he said he's American. No matter what is said about the island, its people, its culture, its beauty, it changes nothing. HE IS AN AMERICAN, born of Domincan parents. His blood is 100% Dominican, but he is a natural-born American.

Saying so does not imply any slight no disrespect to the DR. It's a fact, accept it and move on. I've never lost sleep because Tiger Woods never admitted he was black. His existence outside of golf means absolutely nothing to me, or to any reasonable person. Let the man live his life already!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
he is a Dominican American , he represents us (Dom-Amer)in a good light , i dont like him personally , i think he is an ***

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I agree with you

FuegoAzul21 said:
he is a Dominican American , he represents us (Dom-Amer)in a good light , i dont like him personally , i think he is an ***
I don't like him either, even though he's a Yankee, but I'm not gonna trash him. Esp. for no good reason.

I just feel that holier-than-thou, more Dominican-than-thou stuff on here is BS. You rarely hear such negative stuff regarding basebal players from other countries (i.e. PR, Venezuela, Colombia, Australian, Panama, Canada, etc.). Does that mean the players with parents from those countries are less proud of their country? Or does that mean that the people of those countries can keep things in perspective?

He hasn't hurt the DR or Dominican-Americans, nor has he really helped the DR. Could he do more for the image of DR? Yes, but that's his and his family's decision. Certainly doesn't warrant being trashed.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
FuegoAzul21 said:

Do you even know Alex Rodriquez? Have you ever met him? Have you ever had a conversation with him?

Guess what? I do.
I have followed Alex since he played High School Ball in Miami.
I know what a great and upstanding young man he is. I know what he does for the Community here in Miami. He has litterally given millions of $$$ to help those less fortunate than himself.
But he goes even farther than that. During the off-season he frequently shows up at the Boys & Girls Club where he use to play as a poor child. He shows up unannounced just to talk to the kids and even arranges ball games where he plays.
Did you know that after seeing the terrible condition that they were in, Mr. Rodriquez paid to have the baseball fields redone in Juan Pablo Duarte Park in the Dominican neighborhood of Miami?
Mr. Rodriquez does all this and more without press releases or media coverage because that is the type of man he is. He does it for the right reasons. He doesn't do it to impress simple-minded, jealous people like you.

The only "***" Here is you. A ignorant "***"!!!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
thick_neck said:
Tony,

You don't know A-Rod; you just saw the CNN special on him and repeated what his ex-high school coach said on TV. If it wasn't Wednesday, and if my new tatoo wasn't so fresh, te diera un cocotazo. Pariguayo.
You can believe what you want to believe.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
THANK YOU!!!!!! This was the message I was waiting for!!!! I knew it was bound to come. As I posted at the very beginning...what does he have to be proud of????? That he was able to survive after his DOMINICAN "FAMILY" TURNED against him to fend for themselves....

Everyone wants to claim a piece after everything is golden, but doesn't want to support during the dark hours. I have nothing but respect for A Rod and share his sentiment and experience as a Dominican-American. I also have much respect for people like Miguel Tejada that do want to help poor communities in DR. I have no respect for empty shells of statues that laud people that have done minimal to nothing work to effect change, other than helping to spread alcoholism.

Again, Tony C thanks for the reality check.

Tony C said:
Guess what? I do.
I have followed Alex since he played High School Ball in Miami.
I know what a great and upstanding young man he is. I know what he does for the Community here in Miami. He has litterally given millions of $$$ to help those less fortunate than himself.
But he goes even farther than that. During the off-season he frequently shows up at the Boys & Girls Club where he use to play as a poor child. He shows up unannounced just to talk to the kids and even arranges ball games where he plays.
Did you know that after seeing the terrible condition that they were in, Mr. Rodriquez paid to have the baseball fields redone in Juan Pablo Duarte Park in the Dominican neighborhood of Miami?
Mr. Rodriquez does all this and more without press releases or media coverage because that is the type of man he is. He does it for the right reasons. He doesn't do it to impress simple-minded, jealous people like you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's A Slow News Day On DR1!So, Like "Toneloc" says:

Since this thread is pure "Bull$hit" anyway,I guess I'll add some more!Like all good Dominican men,"A-Rods","Papi" left his mother when she got pregnant!!!

There goes half of his claim of "Dominicanism"!
Raised in the USA,there goes most of the other half!
His morher did a good job raising him.I have never heard him being interviewed where he made any "Stupid" comments,"a La" Sammy Sosa,and others!
He is handsome,has a "Nariz Fina",is VERY light,can't tell if he has "Pelo Bueno" or not,it's cut too short!So he "looks" more like an "American" than a typical Dominican ;) He also has no "Dominican" accent,so he interviews "better" than the "Real" Dominicans
"Dis Cuntri Bean Berry Berry Gud To Me!" :cross-eye
"Ever heard the expression,"Born And Raised In The USA!"???????????
Thats "A-Rod"! If he wants to be a proud American,who are we to second guess him,put thoughts and words in his mouth that may ,or may not, be true!
Sadly,Dominicans have no great intellectuals,authors,or scientists to claim as "Proud Dominican role models",might as well let them claim their athletes merengue bands,and Beauty Queens,beats drug dealers,corrupt Presidents,Generals,bankers, and prostitutes!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Poor Alex. It's up to him who he identifies with, and what he does with his money. I have far more respect for someone who carries out low profile charitable work than those who shout about it from the rooftops.

As a person with very 'tangled roots' who has strong family/ethnic/nationality ties to about six different countries across four continents, I can imagine what the arguments would be like with people falling over each other to claim or disown me, should I ever gain fame or notoriety. ;)

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Hey, Tony,

How do you know about A-Rod's charitable work? Did he tell you?

By the way, I like Alex. He was pretty cool to The Kid when we met in Texas. I doubt he told Tony anything about charity work.

I'm The Kid, and I approve this message.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Did you all see that American ballplayer intentionally knock the ball out of the pitcher's glove?

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Ernesto Jerez of ESPN said last night, MLB asked the players to answer the following questions: NAME, POSITION, COUNTRY OF BIRTH.

I think he did what he was asked to do.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Arod was born in the USa, so he is American.

Now, he has deep ties with his roots. He actually lived in DR for a while and went back to Miami.

Arod is an American with a Dominican background. He identifies himself with the country because he knows it very well. Do any of you know where he was married? yes, it was santiago.

There is nothing wrong with what he said in his interview. He is what he is, an American with deep Dominican Roots. The thing with Arod is that although he was born here, he spent some time in DR and was almost born there. By the way, he does have an accent.

TonyC,

I spoke to AROD this morning. he says hi.

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
This guy is a cheater.

Not only is he a traitor, but as anyone who watched game 6 knows he is also a cheater. He clearly knocked the ball from bronson arroyos glove.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
He's trying to help his team!

American or Dominican, he was just trying to help his team. Why not try to knock the ball out of the glove? C'mon, give A-Rod a break; he's arguably the best player, pound for pound, in the major leagues.