About Sosua violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
Sosua will stop any violence that has been directed at "innocent" tourists and "expats" because they are facing new competition in Puerta Plata in the near future.

Could you elaborate on this comment, please???

The other part. We know that they are starting the plans now for the port in Puerta Plata. They are working to develop more tourism there. If, as a tourist, I want to visit the North coast and I understand that crime is bad in Sosua, then I will choose Puerta Plata (or Cabarete). If the drug business and the violence that is synonymous with it does not slow, then Sosua runs the risk in the future to loosing money, which is always a motivator.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
do you actually know what you are talking about ? or are you just trying to keep the thread going ?

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
I just elaborated on it. Sorry. The port has the green light and they are working to bring in more tourism other than just cruise ships. 5 to 10 years from now, Puerta Plata, I believe will be another tourist town.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm just curious, how many people posting "crime and violence against residents and tourists" have actually ever been to Sosua. I either have to get out more or I'm living in another Sosua.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
can i suggest that you start a new thread if you want to promote puerto plata as the next big thing

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
I'm just curious, how many people posting "crime and violence against residents and tourists" have actually ever been to Sosua. I either have to get out more or I'm living in another Sosua.

I am going to assume that I am one that should answer this. This has been my reservation when being a newcomer on a forum, that it's much like a schoolyard. But I do live here in Sosua and chances are we have probably already met.

There are crimes against Dominicans, but if you watch, you can see that there are also crimes against tourists and "residents" as well.

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
Can I suggest you read my original post and note that I am pointing out that I do not believe the 'crime' wave will last long in Sosua because there will be competition for tourists in the future from PUERTA PLATA. I am not promoting Sosua or Puerta Plata of the DR for that matter.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
C'mon Eddy

Not all of us look like former cops and stand over 6 ft tall. All the best.

:rolleyes:

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
From my experience in the DR, and I've been there 4 times for a total of 8 weeks, I have never seen a fist fight in any of the bars or places I've been in.

On the other hand, I live out in the country in Pennsylvania, and there are a couple of red-neck bars down the road from me where is seems like there are at least a fight or two every weekend night. And usually 50 or 60 men at the bar with 3 overweight, corn-fed tundra hog women (who share 3 whole teeth amongst themselves). Then, at the end of the night, the country boys, whose sheep are having their "time of the month," figure they get some women for a change and then they fight over the above said women. One of the top 5 reasons for bar fights in the US: fighting over women.

I like the Dominican where the percentage of women to men is at least 50/50, and usually women are the majority. You don't have to fight over women in the DR, there's enough to go around many times over.

Also, it seems that people, in general, are more mellow there in the DR...I don't know, it must be the weather...

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Fist fight, hum!!!!! the other guy will pull a gun a shoot you on the spot and claim self defense and get away with it. I seen several fights in my 15 years in the DR and always ends up on a sad note. If not from the brother or the cousins or the bro in law.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Gun Laws???

Fist fight, hum!!!!! the other guy will pull a gun a shoot you on the spot and claim self defense and get away with it. I seen several fights in my 15 years in the DR and always ends up on a sad note. If not from the brother or the cousins or the bro in law.

What are the gun laws in the DR??? Do you need a permit to carry a gun? Can felons carry guns there??? Can anyone who wants to carry a gun???
I'm sure their gun law are probably more lax than the US.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think those of us who have lived here a few years will believe the port development when it is actually done, like we'll believe the 4 lane Navarrete-PP highway when it is actually done. Both have been talked about since forever.

Remember, there is an election in a couple of weeks time.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What are the gun laws in the DR??? Do you need a permit to carry a gun? Can felons carry guns there??? Can anyone who wants to carry a gun???
I'm sure their gun law are probably more lax than the US.
From this post and his one before it, one can gather that this poster is just another tourist that thinks he knows all about life in the DR because he has been here 4 times for a total of 8 weeks.

I have been to Sosua many, many, many times since 1991, one trip was for a month and I have not seen any crime in Sosua.

But that does not mean there is none.

Unless one lives somewhere more or less full time, they probably don't know what life is really like there. They may or may not on occasion see a crime, just a luck of the draw.

Been living in Santiago for 13 years +/- and have not actually witnessed crime in person.
I have seen ladrone leaving the scene of crimes, but never the crime in action.

So in my opinion, whether one has seen actual crime is not a valid reason to judge the level of crime in any area.

Sosua was my first love in the DR, and it still is, I still wish I had been smart enough to buy property in Sosua in the early 90's.

Reports in the papers and from residents is the only real way to know what is going on in an area. As they see and hear full time, not from a slice of time as a tourist.

Sosua will always be in my mind, my paradise.
Paradise can be ruined, I hope it gets cleaned up as needed.

Don

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
does anyone care to differentiate between types of "tourist" and then crunch the crime stats again? For instance, lets assume couples and families on one hand, and those who come for the 'chicas' on the other, either singularly or in groups.... split the two 'types' and with which will the majority of reported crimes go with?

As half of a couple, and going out into Sosua most nights from our AI Isolation Zone, I hand-on-heart cannot say I saw anything different from any other town or city centre on a Saturday night; people enjoying themselves, pretty girls nicely dressed... none apporached me/us. Yet the way some people describe the prostitution issue on here, you'd be forgiven for thinking hookers would be seeping out of every doorway with a 'for sale' sign hanging out their chuff and two armed, drug addled pimps watching their every move.... I'm sure the 'view' would have been different if I was with a group of lairy lads or a fat lonely elderly dribbling american with a slavicious look in my eye... prime target audience.

I can only offer my view and experience as a visitor to Sosua.... it is what it is.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
one gets the occassional offer , but no gracias and they are on their way....most of them seem to enjoy their chosen profession, ive yet to see a pimp (that I know of)

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi there folks,

Just a quick remark on the original post 12 pages ago...I live here down in Sosua, I live and enjoy my life here as it comes and go, but however if I may have an honest remark, lately and especially since the last 2 weeks when I pass Pedro Clisante (especially evening/night) I have counted 23 children (shoe shiners or whatever they do) sleeping and bumping into people on the streets ....
even like yesterday afternoon..they are just rude(not all of them) towards people, fighting with eachother etc...some i know and i try to talk into them, but no use anymore then before...

It is sad to see, 1st. to see those children being lost and surrendered into the world and second to see nobody does 1 single thing to solve this issu..
yes crime is became a huge problem, some are pickpockets, there are even older kids around(12-13 year old)...looking at you like you are a ghost or a potentional victim (who knows?) i am not the one to judge...but what can You expect if no one does anything about it...

I am a very tolerant person with understanding, but nowadays i need and walk around with my eyes all over watching myself..i wished i could do something ..if i had the money..i would put up a shelter etc...even when it is only to give them a chance to go somewhere, away from all the misery what became into their lifes no matter what it caused...

Anyway folks, this was just some i wanted to share...
Let us just enjoy the DR but with the knowledge that we are better off then them even when we have no job or less then when we where in our country...

Keep that smile up...and God bless
Coralia

Reactions: mike l
Status
Not open for further replies.